oneBoro Forum

Who will have a breakthrough year?

While we are all caught up in transfer excitement at the moment - who will we get, who are we after - I also can't help but wonder which of our youngsters will start to make their presence felt in the season ahead. Gibson certainly made a difference for us last season and it would be great to see someone else push through.

Being far from home, I haven't really got my ear to the ground on who is coming through, so would love to hear from more informed forum members.

Here's my idle - and possibly very wrong! - speculation.

Bryn Morris - or Bryan according to teamsheets on tour. I think he is our brightest hope for the coming season. The vibes are good, he's around the first team squad and seems to have bit of flexibility in being able to slot in a couple of areas in case gaps open up with injury or suspension. Very hopeful for him.

David Atkinson. With no right back signed yet, though that is an area we are pursuing, I can see us starting the season with Atkinson as our back-up right back. If he works hard in training, he may well get his shot, though he'll have to convince the manager he can be relied on ahead of shifting someone like Rhys across.

Bradley Fewster. Interesting to see him getting game time on tour, and getting goals too. It feels like he's moved ahead of Main in the pecking order, which could see him as third choice striker for the season. I don't know much about his style though - will he fit our approach?

Jordan Jones. Things seem to have gone quiet about Jordan, which is perhaps no bad thing after last season's off field antics. Hope he gets back on track, and challenges for a midfield spot.

Any others people might know of? I've not really mentioned Reach, Halliday or Main - though I think for each of those it's a make or break season. Would love to hear others' thoughts.

I reckon if Fewster gets a chance he could take it with both hands and really establish himself, but it really does depend on who we sign as he could go the entire season without a game.

I can see Morris getting game time the year though, definitely. Hopefully he can show flashes of the brilliance he's supposed to have.

There have been so many nearly-men coming through the ranks in the last few years, Nathan Poritt was being courted by Chelsea if I remember correctly. Yet we haven't had a decent prospect come through the ranks since Downing & Johnson. Ben Gibson being the only real exception to the rule.

For a club who is supposed to have one of the best youth academies I really hope we can get some of the younger lads some playing time this season. I'd love to see Bryn Morris and Richie Smallwood get a chance.

Game time is going to depend on injuries this season, like it has in the past.

The early signs suggest L.Williams is looking the most likely at the moment considering the injuries we have to our creative players and also how well he seems to have done in pre-season.

Adam Reach also has a good chance of getting opportunities too.

Bryn Morris also as if he is our 4th choice CM then he should get his chance to prove himself like Gibson did last season.

Also with us only having Kike as the only striker that's in Karanka's plans at the moment(before further signings) that could mean that Fewster gets a few opportunities from the bench early in the season.

The early signs suggest L.Williams is looking the most likely at the moment considering the injuries we have to our creative players and also how well he seems to have done in pre-season.

Adam Reach also has a good chance of getting opportunities too.

Bryn Morris also as if he is our 4th choice CM then he should get his chance to prove himself like Gibson did last season.

Also with us only having Kike as the only striker that's in Karanka's plans at the moment(before further signings) that could mean that Fewster gets a few opportunities from the bench early in the season.

I'd not thought of Luke as it seems he's been around an age already but you're right, he has had a good pre-season so far. My gut feeling says he has a better chance of coming good than Reach - though would love both to excel!

There have been so many nearly-men coming through the ranks in the last few years, Nathan Poritt was being courted by Chelsea if I remember correctly. Yet we haven't had a decent prospect come through the ranks since Downing & Johnson. Ben Gibson being the only real exception to the rule.

Jason Steele?

Rhys Williams?

Joe Bennett?

Lee Cattermole?

I hope Reach or Williams make an impact this season, they have threatened on occasions in the last couple of seasons but never pushed on, so hopefully then can this season if given the chance

Jason Steele?

Rhys Williams?

Joe Bennett?

Lee Cattermole?

Agreed but I was more thinking of players who can play at the top level, or who were very good players for a period of time. Each of the players you have identified are what I would call nearly-men.

In terms of youth i would hope the likes of luke williams and adam reach can make the breakthrough, they have been in and around the first team too long and i feel this is there last chance to impress before being told to find a new club, Would hope Morris gets some game time too as he could become a very good player.

Would also like to see Butterfield have a good season if he stays there is something i like about him and think he has the potential to do very well for us if he gets a run of games together and some form, Mind you i always thought Digard and Thomson were going to be top players for us and look what happened to them, The curse of Batmalan has struck Butterfield.

Jason Steele?

Rhys Williams?

Joe Bennett?

Lee Cattermole?

Agreed but I was more thinking of players who can play at the top level, or who were very good players for a period of time. Each of the players you have identified are what I would call nearly-men.

Strange comment that considering all but Steele have played Premier League football.