oneBoro Forum

"Dark Horses" & worth a flutter?

Whilst watching Skysports last night during the cup games one of the front men of the show mentioned Boro as being one of this seasons "dark horses"

Now this is not the first time this has been said and mentioned away from the usual Boro forums so to me it seems that others are beginning to look at Boro in a more positive way albeit very early season displays.

Ok only little things but the comments made by our Brum friend Vinney Samways perhaps should be taken ito account as a neutaral.

There will be those a***st us who will err on the side of cation and indeed there will be some who will seemingly take delight in bubble bursting and "I told you so" etc etc.

However there must be a time when fans can be positive and simply enjoy what is going on in and around their club so will ask the simple question "At this time and with the way things stand are Boro one of this seasons dark horses and worth a flutter (for those brave enough to put money on us)?

I started this so will answer my own question with a "yes"

Fully appreciate that their may well be some detractor type replies.

Oh by the way I also think there is a real "buzz" around the place too!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Whilst watching Skysports last night during the cup games one of the front men of the show mentioned Boro as being one of this seasons "dark horses"

Now this is not the first time this has been said and mentioned away from the usual Boro forums so to me it seems that others are beginning to look at Boro in a more positive way albeit very early season displays.

Ok only little things but the comments made by our Brum friend Vinney Samways perhaps should be taken ito account as a neutaral.

There will be those a***st us who will err on the side of cation and indeed there will be some who will seemingly take delight in bubble bursting and "I told you so" etc etc.

However there must be a time when fans can be positive and simply enjoy what is going on in and around their club so will ask the simple question "At this time and with the way things stand are Boro one of this seasons dark horses and worth a flutter (for those brave enough to put money on us)?

I started this so will answer my own question with a "yes"

Fully appreciate that their may well be some detractor type replies.

Oh by the way I also think there is a real "buzz" around the place too!

I agree, the buzz around the place has been a long time returning, but its slowly returning and picking up pace at the moment. You get the impression this is not just "same old boro" who will eventually let us down, so lets hope we do stay as strong as we currently look. Might be early doors, but after the past few years, its good to have some optimism and something to look forward to.

For the first time in a long time ive bet on us to do something, a few weeks ago, i got 20/1 to win the league, and 25/1 for Kike to be top scorer... well worth a go in my opinion.

Not getting carried away just yet, look at how good we were under mogga for a few months. It does feel very different this time though, AK has managed to bring in his own players and stamp his authority on the club. Fingers crossed for promotion this year

I'm enjoying the start to the season but I'm not getting carried away. We've played two poor teams so far and haven't been tested at all. When this happens and you still look comfortable then that's the time to really start to believe in my opinion.

I'm enjoying the start to the season but I'm not getting carried away. We've played two poor teams so far and haven't been tested at all. When this happens and you still look comfortable then that's the time to really start to believe in my opinion.

Yes, but we've punished the poor teams this time, whereas before we didn't. We've won 2 in a row, scored 5 and conceded none, its all confidence and momentum building at the moment. You can only beat whats put in front of you

Yes, but we've punished the poor teams this time, whereas before we didn't. We've won 2 in a row, scored 5 and conceded none, its all confidence and momentum building at the moment. You can only beat whats put in front of you

Of course you can but this league has teams in that aren't poor and until we go up against some of those then we don't really know where we're at yet. I can remember in 96/97 we battered Coventry and West Ham at home early on, played some brilliant football and looked like world beaters. That didn't last long unfortunately.

Of course you can but this league has teams in that aren't poor...

They're the ones we normally beat though! Like Leicester at (their) home and Burnley twice last season. Then we usually make a right meal of the 'lesser' teams. That's what's been refreshing in this couple of games, the fact that we didn't make beating oldham look like the most arduous task of our lives.

You've got to be excited with the boro whenever you get the slightest excuse! They're not usually too generous with them. ;)

I've had a bet on us to win the league, a bet we get promoted, kike top scorer and the doubles. I've not been this excited about boro in years.

This weekend is a bigger test as we have played no one and leeds are an unknown quantity. My heart says will we walk it but my mind reminds me that everytime we are in this kind of position we come crashing to earth. Regardless i'm excited and with a couple more signings and i'll be dreaming of the promised land.

They're the ones we normally beat though! Like Leicester at (their) home and Burnley twice last season. Then we usually make a right meal of the 'lesser' teams. That's what's been refreshing in this couple of games, the fact that we didn't make beating oldham look like the most arduous task of our lives.

You've got to be excited with the boro whenever you get the slightest excuse! They're not usually too generous with them. ;)

We lost to Leicester twice last season mate. Not sure what you mean? We did beat Burnley twice but we lost twice to QPR. We hammered Yeovil twice though. I think when it comes down to it, we don't normally beat or lose to anyone, it just feels like it sometimes.

I remember the posts on here last season, Butterfield was a great signing, Kamara was a great signing etc, we were going to do this and that but in the end we struggled badly and lost a manager. I'm looking forward to the upcoming games to see how we're shaping up but that's about it. After a few more games we'll have a better idea of where we are.

I will add though that for some reason I keep thinking back to the first promotion season under Robson, '94/'95. I was even thinking about it before the Brum game for some reason. If you remember that season, we started with four wins from four and we didn't concede a goal. That set the tone for our season and we were always there or thereabouts from that point on and obviously ended up as Champions.

You have got to look at the big picture - in this league anyone can beat anyone any day of the week. When the season starts the teams are jockeying for position but as the season goes on the more results that go for teams, and vice-versa, go against teams this is where the season is won and lost. Quality is all well and good, but it's how that quality is managed, and supported - that's where a manager comes in. We all thought we had found Mogga as the man to take us forward, alas he tried under troubling circumstances and should be looked upon favourably in the history books, even though it wasn't to be.

In AK with have a manager who won't settle for anything less than perfection. Senior or junior players alike he's instilling a real ethic in the club, first or last, there is no second place. We have been waiting for this since McClaren left in my opinion, like him or loathe him he was our most successful manager. I think AK can become a real club legend. We all know the importance of momentum so here's to three points on Saturday and keep the ball rolling. Time will tell, and as they say the proof is in the Pudding!

I too feel there's something different. I do see some similarities with when Mogga took over but I also see a lot of differences.

When Mogga took over, we had a great end to the season, followed by a great first half of the season which petered out at Christmastime.

Here's why I don't think we'll do the same. First off, Karanka has a bit of money to spend. Mogga was on a shoestring budget after Strachan spent the whole wage budget on a sack of potatoes. Karanka has pedigree, having worked as a player and a manager under the best. He tightened the defence up last season with what seemed to be minimal fuss.

He's also strengthening the team nicely with a couple of signings to come, and with the help of Peter Kenyon and of course, Karanka's agent Jorge Mendes.

Something is definitely different and I'm confident we'll be in the Premier League next year.

We lost to Leicester twice last season mate. Not sure what you mean? We did beat Burnley twice but we lost twice to QPR. We hammered Yeovil twice though. I think when it comes down to it, we don't normally beat or lose to anyone, it just feels like it sometimes.

I remember the posts on here last season, Butterfield was a great signing, Kamara was a great signing etc, we were going to do this and that but in the end we struggled badly and lost a manager. I'm looking forward to the upcoming games to see how we're shaping up but that's about it. After a few more games we'll have a better idea of where we are.

I will add though that for some reason I keep thinking back to the first promotion season under Robson, '94/'95. I was even thinking about it before the Brum game for some reason. If you remember that season, we started with four wins from four and we didn't concede a goal. That set the tone for our season and we were always there or thereabouts from that point on and obviously ended up as Champions.

Hmm. Fair enough. Could have sworn we beat leccy away! My old mind playing tricks on me...

I'll use Southampton and cardiff as my examples instead then :p