oneBoro Forum

Mejias going out on a limb but...

I was at the game and yes I saw a keeper that let in three goals. However, I'm going out on limb here and saying we need to not just question the keeper.

I also listened to the tees phone in whilst driving to my mums and listened to all the fans chew down on him and Maddo/Ali for defending.

I gave him a rating of a 4 for the game. But after reflection, looking back at the game. I think its time to look at the bigger picture.

On the 1st goal, there was four players on the line. I was sitting behind the goal and got a good luck at it, yes the keeper didn't catch it but there was a tall lad in front of him, to be honest when I saw it come in I knew it was going to be a goal, it just smelt it the way they setup for it. To me once he missed it is why 4 defenders on the line didn't clear it!

I might have goal 2 and 3 the wrong way round ;-) when I describe below

For the 2nd goal, a lob over his head, no sure what to make of that. It was poor - but again you have to question how on earth.

For the 3rd goal, how on earth did we defend it. Again not good defending.

Anyway, to my point, I think we need to stick by Mejias, if we drop him he doesn't learn and will lose confidence. We saw Utd's keeper do the same when he came, I think its the style (and no I don't have rose tinted glasses on and think he is at same level) he will adjust and get betters. Let's remember where we was, Real Madrid, even as a sub/reserve you don't get in that team without some skill. They saw something in him, Karanka has and I think we should back him...

Whilst I wish we have Given, I think Meijas will become good for the Boro.

UTB and look forward to a good result next game

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If Karanka stays with Mejias it will be our undoing this season. He's ruining all the good work Karanka has done. I'm praying he brings Dimi in and I don't even rate Dimi that highly.

Im hoping you are right as he must be doing something right in training. I agree in a lot of what you say but unfortunately we dont have the Rooneys RVPs etc who managed to make De Geas errors less costly. This for me is Karankas biggest defining moment for us. I hope like a lot of things he has done turns out to be correct but unless Meijas manages to adapt very quickly it could be costly as we havent got the most forgiving fans and id say the majority at present have no faith in him at present.

What I don't understand is that Karanka dropped and then ostracised Steele for far less than what Meijas has done. Karanka is responsible for putting Meijas into the team when he is either not good enough, or at a minimum not ready yet.

If a keeper comes for a ball and doesn't get it then it's his mistake. It really doesn't matter what happens after that point as he screwed up. He has played 5 games for us. In his first game he came for a ball, didn't get it and the result was a penalty that cost us the game at Sheff Wed. Against Brum he had hardly anything to do. Against Leeds he made a few errors and then spilled the shot that cost us the game. Against Bolton if I'm not mistaken he made a few similar errors although none were punished. Against Sheff Wed he came for the ball, missed it and we conceded the first goal. Dress it up however you like but that is an unimpressive start to anyone's career at a new club!

What gets me is that he's making the same error over and over. I said yesterday that it would have been ideal for him to go out on loan for a few months at least. Dropping down to League 1 or League 2 would have seen him having to deal with a lot of crosses and being roughed up a bit. I think it would have helped him a lot.

Now for the more positive part of my post. There's no reason why this part of his game can't be improved. It looks to me like a combination of decision making and physically not being strong enough to deal with the game here. The physical side of things can be improved easily enough although it will take a little time. Decision making is a bit harder but that will come with coaching and experience. The question would be whether he should be learning on the job as it were and if that will cost us in the short term.

What I don't understand is that Karanka dropped and then ostracised Steele for far less than what Meijas has done. Karanka is responsible for putting Meijas into the team when he is either not good enough, or at a minimum not ready yet.

Spot on p mards I wrote a similar post just after the leeds match, got a bad feeling karanka will do a mogga and be too stubborn to drop his own players when they blatantly need dropping or even getting rid of.

That would depend on what he was dropped and ostracised for though. People seem to think that it was the sending off against Leeds, which was actually Ayala's fault anyway but I don't think that's the case.

That would depend on what he was dropped and ostracised for though. People seem to think that it was the sending off against Leeds, which was actually Ayala's fault anyway but I don't think that's the case.

I think he was dropped through suspension, if I remember correctly. Some talk on here like they've forgot that. His replacement came in, did a more than admirable job, and kept his place through form. That Steele didn't get back in the team isn't AK's fault entirely

I think Steele is by far our best keeper, he was fantastic for us a couple of seasons ago, and certainly does not deserve to be 3rd choice at a Championship club. I hope he gets a move to a good side where he will be number one, as he absolutely deserves it at this stage of his career

I think he was dropped through suspension, if I remember correctly. Some talk on here like they've forgot that. His replacement came in, did a more than admirable job, and kept his place through form. That Steele didn't get back in the team isn't AK's fault entirely

Don't buy that at all, if AK fancied him as his no.1 suspensions would be irrelevant, as they have been for other players.

AK has clearly made his mind up about Steele, no doubt influenced by Percovic, the reasons for that though are less than obvious.

If a keeper comes for a ball and doesn't get it then it's his mistake. It really doesn't matter what happens after that point as he screwed up.

If a defender makes a mistake, we forgive them. Same for a CM, RW, LW or CF. However, a keeper makes a mistake and we want to drop him and put in Steele or Dimi.

I'm sure there is things we don't know about Steele hence why he is not playing. Do I agree if he is our best keeper, he is probably our best shot stopper. However, I think Dimi has more authority and I think Mejias offers something else.

Was there not some rumour that Steele had elected to have some corrective surgery, while suspended, that AK had not sanctioned. He has been out of favour ever since. I.e. AK has taken offence and Steele has not impressed with his desire to be an AK team player.