1. 1. Boro V Huddersfield

[align=center]Huddersfield Town V Middlesbrough

John Smiths Stadium

13/09/14

15:00

[/align]

Bwc8EmgCYAA28gg.jpg

Introduction

Well it finally happened, on September 1st after years of trying we finally got rid of Seb Hines, we also signed some bloke called Vossen, anyone know if he is any good? Anyway our transfer deadline day deals have lifted the mood after two awful home games so we should go into this game with a bit of optimism if nothing else.

Match preview

Despite going into the game in fairly poor form most Boro fans would still expect us to get all three points. They will be boosted by a new manager but we have Jelle Vossen and thats all that matters :P Boro should see the return of some key players such as Gibson and Ledesma for this one, would also expect new signings Vossen, Blackman and Wildschut (who is apparently faster than Carayol) to be involved. First game of a very busy period for us with 6 games in 17 days, big month for us.

The Opposition

After a disastrous 4-0 defeat to Bournemouth in the opening game Huddersfield sacked Mark Robins, they only won one league game under caretaker boss Mark Lillis but Chris Powell has just been appointed manager. Wells and Vaughan will always be a danger to any team in this league plus they signed Mark Hudson from Cardiff on deadline day. They also have a certain Jacob Butterfield who will defiantly come back to haunt us!

Asked a few questions on their forum, general responses I got were;

- Most of them seemed to see Adomah as our biggest threat, not surprising considering he tore them apart last season. Not many mentions of any other Boro players. They dont seem too concerned about us with many predicting they will beat us.

- Wells or Vaughan look to be the biggest threat, these 2 will be a danger to us however I think Vaughan missed the last game through injury, hopefully he is out for this one. Butterfield will be a danger to us too. looks like they have a fair few injuries at the moment! Sounds like they dont have too much confidence in their defence at the moment.

- Sounds like Butterfield is starting well for them, they seem to think they got the better deal with swapping him for Clayton. Looks like it was a good deal for all parties.

Butterfield's forming a good partnership with Coady in midfield, they both look excellent prospects & bring much more balance to the team.. He has the confidence & ability to take corners with either feet & he's already got off the mark with a decent curling goal away to Reading.. He's looking for us good so far.

Last time out

I'm sure no one needs reminding of our last game, despite dominating the game we lost 1-0 to an injury hit Reading side, question marks over the keeper again by some of our fans, made plenty of chances but just couldn't get that goal, booed off for the second game in a row. Expecting a very different team for this game though.

Lineup; Mejias, Damia, Omerou, Hines, Friend, Clayton, Leadbitter, Adomah, Reach, Tomlin, Kike

Huddersfield also suffered a defeat loosing 4-2 away to Watford despite Watford playing with 10 men for the last 25 minutes. If Watford can score four who knows what Vossen and Kike will do ;)

Lineup; Smithies, Dixon, Lynch, Wallace, Robinson, Butterfield, Coady, Majewski, Scannell, Vaughan, Bunn

Talking Points

It will be difficult to predict how we will line up, could completely change the system due to having so many options in the forward positions, personally I think we will see this lineup;

-------------Blackman------------

Damia--Gibson--Omerou--Friend

--------Clayton--Leadbitter------

Adomah-------------------Wildschut

-----------Kike----Vossen-----------

Mejias, Ayala, Husband, Ledesma, Tomlin, Whitehead, Bamford

Its been pretty obvious for weeks that if Tomlin is marked out of the game we struggle to compete, with having 2 top quality strikers I can see us going back to a 4-4-2 system with Vossen and Kike starting up front together. Will always have the option of Tomlin off the bench to change things if we need to. Also we will have a very strong bench for the first time in ages on Saturday, plenty of options if we need to change things.

- Who should start in goal?

- Will we completely change the system to accommodate Vossen and Kike?

- How many goals will Vossen get this season?

- Anyone going to Huddersfield?

- When can we plan the promotion party?

- Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Still a few days till the game so enjoy some Jelle Vossen goals whilst your waiting :D

[video=youtube]

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Terrific first match day thread James well done!

And whilst I can not state my seldom used phrase for this game I could possibly say that this could be in many fans eyes due to recent activity THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON..............so far! because if things click and a good display shown then there will be a return of good tidings and happiness!

In saying that and due to not having recorded a draw I will be happy with a "road point" but I do so hope we will all wobble with a Vossen goal!

FWIW, I started a new game on FM with an updated custom database.

Vossen has scored 7 goals in 8 games and Kike has 3 goals and 5 assists in 8 games.

So...

18-2, with Vossen to score 15 and a mighty hattrick for Kike.

(but no seriously I think if we play like we know we can play I'm going for a 3-1 victory).

Really interested to see how we plan on lining up in this one. My guess would be...

--------------- Blackman ---------------

----------- Omeruo - Gibson -----------

--- Freddy ------------------- Friend ---

-------- Leadbitter - Whitehead --------

- Adomah ------------------ Wildschut -

------------- Vossen - Kike -------------

Draws away from home are never terrible results. And keen to avoid my usual getting carried away stance on these predictions. So will go with a solid but unspectacular 1-1.

I'm going to this match and shall go against my name here and predict a positive result, every away game I've attended in my life we've left with at least a draw (so if we lose I've cursed us, you saw it here first!) I'm going with a 3-2 win with a last minute Vossen winner!

I'm going to this one and I'm really looking forward to seeing our new signings, hopefully Vossen will start :).

Gunna stick my neck out and say 3-0 to the Boro, maybe wishful thinking but I reckon we have the quality to be able to do it.

Being a Terriers fan I had to vote for an Huddersfield Town win of course but in fairness I'm not very confident. Mainly because you were far and away the better side in our two meeting last season and you've added some excellent players to your squad since then, so on paper at least, you should be favourites for all three points.

We too have signed one or two players in the close season who look, at this early stage, to be an improvement on the ones who left. I'll leave Clayton out of that because without doubt he was our best players last season but so far, Butterfield looks like an adequate replacement. We also lost Oliver Norwood another midfielder, who was signed by Reading for a 'considerable sum'. As replacements for them and others we've brought in Connor Cody from Liverpool who looks excellent, and Radosław Majewski from Nottingham Forest on a season long loan. He too looks like he can do the business.

Obviously the big talking point around these parts is how much of an impact our new manager and coach Chris Powell and Alex Dyer make and how quickly they will turn things round. I don't know what fans expectations are like a Borough but in recent years at Town 'fan power' has been responsible for two managers leaving, how Simon Grayson escaped their attention is a mystery but both Lee Clark and Mark Robins were more or less hounded out. I'm hoping the trend doesn't continue because that will mean yet another manager has failed to lift us higher.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be filling the away end on Saturday (4,800 seats) so it should make for a good atmosphere. Have safe journey down!:D

depends how our keeper/defence does if we win or not, if we concede first i think our heads will drop esp if its a keeper blunder. on the other hand if we score first we will win imo.

a few teams we've played have had new players bedding in and thier fans have been talking about giving them time to settle in etc. i dont recall anyone mentioning it to much about us but i think once we settle in we will do very well. even in the games we've lost we look a much better team than the one i seen last season. the results will come its only a matter of time before we go on a run of wins imo.

going for 3-1 boro, all the new signings will be a big lift and get us through this game.

Being a Terriers fans I had to vote for an Huddersfield Town win of course but in fairness I'm not very confident. Mainly because you were far and away the better side in our two meeting last season and you've added some excellent players to your squad since then, so on paper at least, you should be favourites for all three points.

We too have signed one or two players in the close season who look, at this early stage, to be an improvement on the ones who left. I'll leave Clayton out of that because without doubt he was our best players last season but so far, Butterfield looks like an adequate replacement. We also lost Oliver Norwood another midfielder, who was signed by Reading for a 'considerable sum'. As replacements for them and others we've brought in Connor Cody from Liverpool who looks excellent, and Radosław Majewski from Nottingham Forest on a season long loan. He too looks like he can do the business.

Obviously the big talking point around these parts is how much of an impact our new manager and coach Chris Powell and Alex Dyer make and how quickly they will turn things round. I don't know what fans expectations are like a Borough but in recent years at Town 'fan power' has been responsible for two managers leaving, how Simon Grayson escaped their attention is a mystery but both Lee Clark and Mark Robins were more or less hounded out. I'm hoping the trend doesn't continue because that will mean yet another manager has failed to lift us higher.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be filling the away end on Saturday (4,800 seats) so it should make for a good atmosphere. Have safe journey down!:D

Having a new manager always seems to give teams another 10% so it will be a close game on saturday, Hudson will be a cracking signing for this league, it looks like he was needed, watching the fls your defending is almost as bad as ours for some goals you have conceded.

You dont have a bad squad, surprised that you are second favourite to go down

Cheers DS :)

Lets make a statement of intent straight after the International break. Huddersfield are one of the weaker teams in the league.. Lets prove we are one of the best with an attacking line up.

---------------Blackman----------------

--------Omeruo---------Gibson---------

-Abella-------------------------Friend---

---------------Leadbitter---------------

-------Tomlin--------------Clayton------

----------------Vossen-----------------

-------Bamford----------Kike------------

Having a new manager always seems to give teams another 10% so it will be a close game on saturday, Hudson will be a cracking signing for this league, it looks like he was needed, watching the fls your defending is almost as bad as ours for some goals you have conceded.

You dont have a bad squad, surprised that you are second favourite to go down

Cheers DS :)

I didn't realise we were second favourites for the drop! It doesn't feel like we are! (if you know what I mean?). We have some decent players that are certainly far better then those we had when we were first promoted two season ago! We're under no illusions, no one expects us to be flying high but the whole change of management was about making an improvement on last season and that's our aim.