Middlesbrough V Brighton   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Middlesbrough V Brighton

[align=center]Brighton V Middlesbrough

Amex Stadium

18/10/14

15:00[/align]

Introduction

Taking over from weasel for this one, his computer is broken.

After a 2 week international break, Boro are finally back in league action with a long trip away to Brighton. Start of a very tough run of games which will really test our squad. Bit of news from the international break;

- Jelle Vossen scored his first Boro goal in a 2-2 draw with Sunderland on Thursday

- Gibson and Bamford helped England under 21s reach the Euro 2015 Championships with a 4-2 aggregate win over Croatia

- Boro look set to complete the signing of Milos Veljkovic from Spurs on a 3 month loan deal

- Northern echo reported that Rhys Williams could be back by the end of November

Match Preview

After a minor blip against Blackpool we were back to winning ways with a fairly routine 2-0 win over Fulham last Saturday. This extended our unbeaten run to 7 games. The international break came at a good time for us, our squad was starting to be stretched with a virus also spreading a*** the squad. Omerou, Gibson and Bamford have all been away on international duty this week with no new injuries reported. The only injury worries for this game look to be long term absentees Williams, Damia and Carayol.

This is the first game in some very tough fixtures coming up which will really test how good our squad is and if we can challenge for promotion.

Last 5 games

04/10 Boro 2-0 Fulham

30/09 Boro 1-1 Blackpool

27/09 Charlton 0-0 Boro

20/09 Boro 4-0 Brentford

16/09 Cardiff 0-1 Boro

Brighton have had a slow start to the season under new boss Sami Hyypiä with 11 points from 11 games and currently sit 19th in the championship, 9 points behind Boro. They have started to improve lately however with good draws away at Nottingham Forest and Watford. They currently have ex Boro left back Joe Bennett on loan from Villa.

Last 5 games

04/10 Watford 1-1 Brighton

30/09 Brighton 1-1 Cardiff

27/09 Notts Forest 0-0 Brighton

20/09 Brighton 0-0 Blackpool

16/09 Ipswich 2-0 Brighton

View from the opposition

http://www.northstandchat.com/forum.php

Who do you see as Boros biggest threat?

- Adam Clayton. Played really well againts Liverpool in the cup for you and has the ability to dictate your play.

- Adomah and Clayton, maybe Garcia Martinez and Vossen -- they have good records -- but don't know how they've settled -- while Leadbitter is also banging them in

- You've bought really well this season. I believe that we were looking at Clayton and Vossen ourselves.

- Yanic Wildschut from the bench

- Don't know too much about your players but I would guess Vossen based on the reputation.

- I think Adomah will provide Bennett a real test on Saturday.

Who is Brightons biggest threat?

- we have plenty of creative threats and will craft a number of opportunities but, as yet, none of our forward players are scoring

- T'shearer (Joao Texieria). When he's on form he can be a real threat agaisnt teams as long as he doesnt try and take on too many players.

- Bruno (right back). This is by default as the threats are not here this season

- Anyone one from goalkeeper, defence and midfield can win the game unfortunately our strikers couldn't score in a brothel.

- Whilst I'd like to say Teixeira is our biggest threat, but I'll probably go with Gary Gardner.

Score predictions

- 2-2 draw. Just a feeling ive got.

- see above: we'll batter you, but you'll get one on the break (as you did last season, very well)

- I don't think that there will be much between the teams on Saturday which might make it quite a cagey affair. I'd suggest a 1-1 would be a decent bet, our strikers don't worry much about scoring so I'll put Greer up as our scorer, Clayton will get your one.

- 1-3 after Albion go 1-0 up

- Close but I think with the improvement we are seeing home win just.

- The score I think will be 3-1 M'boro.

How is your season going?

- Poor start tp the season so far agsint expectations, but with a lot of changes in the summer we need a bit more time to gel but I think we have the quality.

- see above: a new manager, eleven new players, a tweaked system makes for more entertaining football but, without taking the many chances we create, it's not going too well. If the forwards start scoring, then it will go a lot better

- A new manager (again) has meant a new system (again) and a slow start (again)...hopefully we'll kick on a bit now the players know what the hell it is they are supposed to be doing.

- Insufficient points and goals: danger of the season to be very ordinary

- Awful start but the last month or so it is starting to click so should start to climb the table but probably missed any change of a third playoff.

Thoughts on Joe Bennett?

- You mean Gorden Bennett??! Jokes. He has been very positive and gets forward alot. He just needs to remember to get back.

- very impressed by him, especially his work rate and attacking threat. That said, apart from positionally, he hasn't been exposed defensively

- Joe is doing alright, one of our most effective attackers(along with Bruno, Greer and Dunk!!!)

- Adequate but hasn't been tested yet

Talking points

With an almost fully fit squad who do we leave out now? Vossen should be approaching full fitness again so it would be nice to see him start. Apart from that I think the team will be the same one that started against Fulham.

--------------Dimi--------------

Fredricks-Ayala-Omerou-Friend

------Clayton--Leadbitter-------

Adomah-----Vossen------Reach

--------------Kike----------------

A bit attacking away from home but with the run were on its the kind of game we should be looking to win. Harsh on Gibson to be left out but Ayala has been fantastic this season and also Omerou is one of the best in this league. Will be a strong bench again with Tomlin or Bamford to bring on if we need a goal.

2-1 Boro (Kike, Vossen)

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to the return of league football this weekend. This is a game we can definitely win if we play the way we've been playing in the last 6 games (barring Blackpool which hopefully was a blip).

Joe Bennett v Adomah could turn out to be a very intriguing battle. We know Bennett has a mistake in him, we've seen it ourselves. If Adomah continues his fine run of form Bennett could be in for a very long afternoon.

Going for 2-1 Boro!

We're definitely the better team. But I think it will be close and can't call the result. Though I don't fancy us to lose. A draw would be a reasonable result all things considered. They're a well supported team.

Would definitely opt for the team you posted above.

Cmon Boro.

Lets get at them early, control midfield and go for them

Hard to call really, a draw would be acceptable but in our current position and form a win is possible, would really establish our credentials and firmly put us in the top six positions.

Good to ber back after the international break, lets get behind the lads, lets see some more activity on the forum, been very quiet recently.

UTB!

I voted for a Draw. It's the first game after the international break, away from home and Brighton look like they are starting to find their feet. Even though we should be looking at three points all Things considered I still think that a point will be an ok start and keep our unbeaten run going. However it's very comforting that we have only conceded 1 goal in the last 5 matches, so if we can get 2 goals then it's probably enough for a win. A hard fought point ala Charlton is my guess though.

And I would certainly opt for the team suggested in the OP. Maybe Gibson for Ayala, but you gotta complement Ayala on his form this season even though he has picked up a lot of yellow Cards.

He doesn't exactly get a lot of red Cards though. The odd suspension because of too many yellows. Has he been sent off while playing for us? I also thought he was prone to the odd error, but from what I've seen and read this season he doesn't give away much these days.

It's a tough one though, because Gibson is also playing well and have broken into the England u21. We're just Lucky to be blessed with three quality defenders at the moment.

As others have indicated our defence will be crucial this game and well if we keep a clean sheet then can see no reason why we can not do a smash and grab at The Amex......hope so due to witnessing the game

Pretty sure Ayala got 2 yellows within about a minute of each other against Burnley last season!

6 yellows in 12 games this season.

6 yellows and 1 red (double yellow, not included in the 6) in 19 games last season.

May have been off on the reds, honestly thought it was more :P

Pretty sure Ayala got 2 yellows within about a minute of each other against Burnley last season!

6 yellows in 12 games this season.

6 yellows and 1 red (double yellow, not included in the 6) in 19 games last season.

May have been off on the reds, honestly thought it was more :P

Ye he got his second yellow against Burnley in that away match when he smashed the ball into Row Z to waste time :P

Got splinters in my bum on this one.

Brighton have drawn their last 4 games, but aren't exactly in scintillating form and have conceded more than they've scored.

We seem to be in a good run of form at the moment and despite some annoying slip-ups, have kept a pretty tight defence so far.

I just don't know!!!

Part of me says Boro will do the "typical" thing and end Brighton's run of draws, giving them their first 3 points in ages. The optimist in me thinks we will sneak a narrow win...

Oh sod it!

Pastor's Prediction: Brighton 1 - 2 Boro

(don't make me regret my faith in you Boro!)