oneBoro Forum

borovwatford1.jpg

[align=center]Details

Teams – Middlesbrough V Watford

Location – The Side of the River

Competition – The Ship of Champions

Date – Sat 25th October 2014

Kick off – 15:00 pm [/align]

Dearest comrades, After battling through a blue screen of death, a DSKCHK which wanted to freeze my computer up for several hours and various other technological calamities – the likes of which have never been seen since the installation of the new telly at St. James’ park… I gladly welcome you to my first match day thread of the 2014/2015 season!

The return of the Graph!

Now before we start, I’d just like to do a little recap of one of the biggest Saga’s in modern times. The epic adventures of Jelle Vossen. In graphical form, naturally!

freedomofjellegre_zpse751e566.jpg

Odds

from William Hill:

Boro (2.00) Draw (3.40) Watford (3.75)

Boro-ungers bet of the day (neither ‘boro-unger’ nor ‘oneBoro’ can be held responsible for loss of money/dignity/livelihood/house/relationship/car/genitalia as a result of taking this bet:

Both teams to score and a Draw (4.20)

Top tip: throw in a couple of other BTTS & Result bets in an accumulator for increased expectation and added disappointment!

Form (League only)

Most recent results last.

Boro (Home): WLLWDW

Watford (Away): LWLWDW

The Last Games

Boro:

Wolves 2 – 0 Boro

Predictably, Boro’s unbeaten run of games had to come to a conclusion, B. Sako scored a penalty to make it 1-0,

Edwards should have made it 2-0, but his header somehow ended up hitting the boro bar. Eventually his buddy

Nouha ***o made it 2-0 after a strong run in which he eased past the unusually ineffective Boro defence, and

Instinctively hit the ball into the top corner of the net, all but sealing the points. No-one at Wolves will have much

Sympathy with a Boro team, who on the day, simply didn’t deserve to win.

Watford:

Watford 2 – 2 Nottingham Forest

Ighalo and Vydra got the goals for Watford, earning them a point and removing the opportunity for Boro to beat the team at the top of the league. After this game, Watford are unbeaten in seven and Jokanovich has 4 points from his first 2 games - that’s promotion form that! So undoubtedly he will have been fired and replaced by the time the Middlesbrough game rolls around…

Injury/Availability News

Boro:

:) - Clayton should be back in contention after being KO’d in the Brighton game

:( - Crayola is still feeling a bit off colour (geddit?)

- Woodgate is slowly continuing his evolution into a coach.

- Rhys Williams is slowly continuing his evolution into a beaver.

- Super striker Grant Leadbitter will be unavailable for the game due to picking his 5th yellow of the season up against Wolves.

Watford:

:( – Almen Abdi will miss the game with a shoulder injury

- Sebastien Basoon will be assessed prior to the game, to see whether he's still feeling off-key

:) – Keith andrews and Craig Horsecart should be available after… something… happened… I don’t think anyone really cares to be honest.

The Un(ger)-Official Match Preview

Boro welcome the only team in the league whose name sounds like the response you get from people when you say “Look, there’s a Ford!”, when there isn’t really a Ford in the vicinity.

Middlesbrough’s long run of good form prior to Tuesday will give them confidence going into this match against an equally formidable team.

The fact that Watford are going through managers like a moose going through something that Mooses Mice plural moose like to eat – presumably some sort of green, leafy vegetation – doesn’t seem to have affected them, with a strong run of results under their belt of late.

I predict a score draw for this one - 2-2 if you're twisting my arm. Kike and Tomlin to score if you're twisting it even further.

The View From The Other Side

From www.wfcforums.com

- "I have no doubt this will be a tight fixture, Boro boast a very impressive defence conceding just 11 goals in the 13 games so far and we have the best attack in the league. One of those has to give on Saturday but I think 1-1 is probably about right, I can't see either team dominating and both would be content with a draw against obvious promotion contenders."

- "We haven't beaten a team in Red this season (if you include 'cherry' red!)."

- "Grant Leadbitter suspended for them. Very good news."

- "I've not been paying very much attention to Middlesborough - have they had some investment recently? I ask because ever since they were relegated from the Premier League they've appeared somewhat anonymous in the Championship.

- I would love a resounding win on Saturday, but would take three points, as that is the maximum number of points available. A loss would be the worst possible scenario, and I personally think we should try not to lose as best we can." :D

- "They call themselves 'boro' when really it's 'brough'. Vydra and Fessi to take advantage of this confusion, 1-3 to the Horns."

The View from the Dressing Room.

Not much really, can just see a few walls and treatment tables. Sometimes the corridor if the door is propped open....

The Boro-unger multi copyright-infringing motivational speech of the week!

Gibson: “Strength and honour”

Karanka: “Strength and honour”

Hignett: “Strength and honour”

Karanka: "At my signal, unleash Jelle"

“Gentlemen, three weeks from now, we will be sitting through another insipid international break. Imagine where in the league table we will be, and it will be so. Hold the line! Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, playing on the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in the Premier League, and we are already promoted!

Brothers; what we do at the Riverside, echoes in eternity!”

Talking Points

- Can we send the Moose home like the solitary animals that do not form herds that they are!?

- Will you be partaking in any pre-match, heavily euphemistic good luck rituals?

- What would you rather fight out of a Moose and a Wolf?

- Tomlin or Vossen?

- Kike or Bamford?

- Omerue or Gibson… Or both?

- Dimi or Mejias…. Naaaaah, just kidding!

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

:D mint thread!!

another tough game, missed the wolves game but it sounded like we were poor. Need to beat the top teams at home if were going for the top 2. Watford have looked very good this season though so its going to be tough especially without leadbitter.

Really hope we see a decent crowd for this one, huge game

I would'nt take a point from this one. We are at home. We need three points to stay in contention with the teams at the top. (and guess what pragmatists, 36 points will not get us promoted, and also,my glass is still half full) Hopefully AK has got his team selection criteria sorted out for this one and he will play the best team available to him and stop tinkering with it needlessly.

Reckon Karanka should print BU's post and pin it on the dressing room will. If that doesn't inspire the Boro lads, I don't know what will...

That said, I think the Watford fan who predicted a scrappy draw had it right. I see this being another one of those "grind out a result" games.

@Trapper: lamp duly rubbed. May the Footballing Genie grant us three wish...I mean points... ;)

Great thread! Although for some reason I was thinking the gladiator quote was from 300 for some reason.

38e638092d68b2db0368e40bbd5ce922.jpg

Perhaps we can install a bottomless pit inbetween the two benches and Karanka can kick the opposition manager down.... THIS IS BORO!!!

Not too sure how i feel about this game, could easily go either way, probably end up being a draw though. With that being said, i think if we win, we might just kick on again and go on another little run. Despite the fact that Watford are a high scoring team, i can see the game being cagey due to the winner cementing a place in the top 2, i can see both teams trying not to lose more than going for the win. 1-1 for me.

Since we've been relegated we always seem to mess up in the massive six pointer games(probably more perception than reality though!), so I'm trying to stay positive and stop fearing a sickening defeat. All I care about is points, I couldn't care less about unbeaten runs with loads of draws to window dress very few wins. We've got a good opportunity against very good opposition to atone for the Wolves defeat and show that we deserve to be competing for the automatic promotion places.

With us not playing to our full potential during this first quarter of the season, I'm really encouraged with the position we're in. I'm confident that we will only get stronger as the season progresses, mainly due a number of important players yet to hit the form they're capable of.