oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Wigan Athletic [A] 1-1

Middlesbrough vs Wigan Athletic

[align=center]Saturday 22nd November

3pm KO[/align]

wigan-athletic-v-middlesbrough-4x373-2049290_284x213.jpg

Hey all,

Sorry about the delay in getting the match day thread up (my excuses involve copious amounts of alcohol and a broken computer; thankfully not related). This is my first attempt at a match day thread and apologies if it is sub-par :p

Wigan are currently without a manager after sacking Uwe Rosler; assistant manager Graham Barrow is currently their caretaker manager. Given their current run of form and situation, I think this is a match where we should really be looking to exert our authority and go out and control the game. I want a clean sheet and a few goals to boost our GD! If we want to be considered serious promotion contenders, I don't think there's a whole lot to say about this game other than I'd be disappointed with anything other than a convincing 3 points.

NB - Wigan look like they might be in line to appoint Malky Mackay. A cracking appointment for any championship club.

Recent Results:

Boro (8 points) =2nd

D vs Bournemouth [H] 0-0

W vs Norwich [H] 4-0

W vs Rotherham [A] 3-0

D vs Watford [H] 1-1

L vs Wolves [A] 2-0

Wigan (5 points) 22nd

L vs Bolton [A] 3-1

L vs Brighton [A] 1-0

D vs Fulham [H] 3-3

W vs Derby [A] 2-1

D vs Millwall [H] 0-0

View from the opposition:

I'll post more when i can find a good forum thread..

So far i've found what seems to be a plea for supporters to back their team: http://thisnorthernsoul.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/matchday-18-wafc-v-mfc.85878/

The other link i've found so far isn't really providing huge amounts of insight wither: http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=558&fid=516&sty=2&act=1&mid=2110507980

Atokous' Line Up

I'd really like to see Vossen given a good run with Kike, I think that if they can forge a good understanding they will really be a force to reckoned with. Vossen hasn't looked poor at any point when he's played and just hadn't had the time. Kike is a necessity and is so vital to the way we like to play under Karanka. I see Wildshut are more of an impact sub against the better teams and a starter against the lower teams. However, Adomah hasn't had much game time recently and could do with the match fitness. I think the defence speaks for itself really.

-----------------Dimi---------------

Freddy - Gibson* - Ayala - Friend

--------Clayton - Leadboots-------

----Adomah - Vossen - Reach----

-----------------Kike---------------

*Provided he is fit in time.

Talking Points:

1. Are you as demanding of a confident 3 points as me?
  2. Who has been your player of the season so far? Why?
  3. Are there any players you are worried about leaving in Jan?
  4. Do you consider Boro serious automatic promotion contenders?
  5. Who do you see as our biggest promotion rivals?

Stream Links:

Will go up on the day

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent thread, well done.

My major concern is that a new Manager before a game usually means trouble. I hope this isn't the case and with our mighty away following we come away with three points and maintain our challenge.

Talking Points:

Are you as demanding of a confident 3 points as me?

I would like to see that the international break hasnt hindered our momentum. The signs are there for a "typical Boro" scenario - Playing a club with no manager, 5000 fans making the journey. So im not bothered about a confident win. Just 3 points will do.

Who has been your player of the season so far? Why?

Fredericks. Without a doubt. He got lucky with Damias injury but he is fast, committed, can defend and can get forward. Its been far too long since we had a right back to mirror the Gorgeous one, but Fredericks has finally emerged as the missing jigsaw piece. Would love him permanently.

Are there any players you are worried about leaving in Jan?

The more Gibson is played at U21 level will only raise awareness. But cant see his head being turned at the moment. Now Bamford is starting to find a bit of form (and the onion bag) I dont think he should go back in Jan.

Do you consider Boro serious automatic promotion contenders?

Abso-ruddy-loutely

Who do you see as our biggest promotion rivals?

Far too early to call at this stage. Ask me again in Jan once the Christmas schedules over.

Great 1st thread by the way

1.Are you as demanding of a confident 3 points as me? Not a confident win but a win nonetheless

2.Who has been your player of the season so far? Why? Leadbitter. Lynchpin of the team and vital goals. Has improved so much.

3.Are there any players you are worried about leaving in Jan? Leadbitter. Contract expires in the summer, so there will obviously be suiters.

4.Do you consider Boro serious automatic promotion contenders? Yes. Great squad with quality throughout.

5.Who do you see as our biggest promotion rivals? Tough one but I think it's between Boro, Derby and Watford as to who gets the auto spots.

Cant wait for this game! 2 weeks without a game seems like a lifetime when your playing well doesnt it?

- Can never be too confident when it comes to the Boro, but i'm expecting a win nonetheless

- Leadbitter, having a superb season, only seems to keep getting better. We've struggled when he hasn't played.

- Leadbitter, with the obvious being his contract running out, need to tie it up sooner rather than later. Would like to see Bamford's loan being extended as well.

-Yes, best squad we've had since relegation in my opinion.

- Derby will be up there for sure. I still think Norwich will turn it around, they've got too good of a squad not to.

another wigan mb - cockneylatic

http://www.cockneylatic.co.uk/forum/5-cockney-latic-main-forum

1.Are you as demanding of a confident 3 points as me? - don't care if we nick a 1-0 or blow them away ala rotherham but i'm expecting a win

2.Who has been your player of the season so far? Why? ayala. looks to be a far more mature player this year, more composed. special mention to clayton as well

3.Are there any players you are worried about leaving in Jan? no, they'd be mental to actually want to leave now (unless real come in for them, then i'd completely understand)

4.Do you consider Boro serious automatic promotion contenders? When i look at the squad objectively then yes, but then the typical boro thoughts pop into my head & i start to worry about our usual post xmas slump & the various let downs.

5.Who do you see as our biggest promotion rivals? Derby, Bournemouth, Norwich (if they get a decent manager), Watford + expect Wolves, Fulham, Ipswich, Forest & maybe Blackburn to be pushing for the play offs

Yes a good first attempt Atokous and hopefully the first of many to come though I did do a slight edit for you ha ha!!!

New Manager syndrome possibly for the Latics, Boro wanting to get back to winning ways, fantastic away following all the hall marks of being a good game especially for neutrals, but I am not neutral and I see no reason as to why Wigan will suddenley become world beaters overnight.

Think it will be another case of the best away form club winning aka Middlesbrough FC!

Reasons to use my seldom used phrase...................to be honest I can not see it applying on this occassion unless anyone can think of a good excuse!

Was confident until an hour ago, can see us struggling against a new manager, it normally gives a team a massive boost, fortunately he will only have 2 days to work with his new team. Really hard to call this one now, would anyone take a draw?

Was confident until an hour ago, can see us struggling against a new manager, it normally gives a team a massive boost, fortunately he will only have 2 days to work with his new team. Really hard to call this one now, would anyone take a draw?

Quite simply, no. Don't want to lose any ground on Derby County as I feel they could potentially do a Leicester and walk away with the league

No away game in the championship is easy. I certainly don't demand three points away from home but we are more than capable of taking them. With Mackay coming in and Wigan struggling his first job will be making them hard to beat. We've struggled against teams that pack the centre of the park. So I think it depends on how receptive Wigan are to their new gaffer.

Leadbitter because we aren't the same team without him now he has players around that are comfortable with keeping possession.

I'm conscious of Leadbitter's contract being up in the summer and also Bamford not re-signing on until the end of the season. Keeping this squad together will be the biggest challenge of the January transfer window. It's imperative we keep the same 23 or so. Particularly the spine of the team.

I've been converted over the last month. Yes.

Derby will win the league. Then us, Watford, Forest and Norwich will scrap for 2nd.

Are you as demanding of a confident 3 points as me? - I demand a confident performance, with that the three points should follow.

Who has been your player of the season so far? Why? - I'm going to be a cop-out on this question. Because all the players are standout in their particular role. We're playing as a team. One is not more important than another. We're winning as a team. Not because of one or two players.

Are there any players you are worried about leaving in Jan? - Not at all. There is a togetherness with this squad. The team and the fans seems to know there is something special about Boro this season. This squad is in it together.

Do you consider Boro serious automatic promotion contenders? - Absolutely. Christmas is going to be an important benchmark for us. We should be aiming for top spot. Aim high and you'll achieve more.

Who do you see as our biggest promotion rivals? Bournemouth, Derby, Watford and Ipswich.

I have to say that I'm really disappointed with Wigan. Their decision to appoint Malky Mackay sends out a message that I'm really uncomfortable with.

I totally agree, Red. There is no place in football for the likes of Mackay, I'm shocked that he's found a job so quickly. But then who ever said that football cares about that sort of thing?

Clubs will try and win at any cost, even if it means appointing a racist, sexist homophobe as manager.

"Who has been your player of the season so far? Why? - I'm going to be a cop-out on this question. Because all the players are standout in their particular role. We're playing as a team. One is not more important than another. We're winning as a team. Not because of one or two players."

The stats say differently I'm afraid. If I'm not mistaken we have a very poor record when Leadbitter hasn't played.

I understand your sentiment because the team as a whole, this season has been the best we've had for a very long time. Possibly going back to 2006.