oneBoro Forum

Cov fan in peace

It's looking very likely that Tony Mowbray will be announced as our new manager tomorrow, seeing as he's legend in Teeside I thought I best get your opinions on him.

He did a great job for us by cutting our wage bill drastically whilst keeping us competitive in a very tough league. He stayed too long at the end of his reign and people began turning against him but he is still very much a legend here for his days as a player and I will always be very thankful of the job he did for us as a manager.

At West From, Celtic, His and us he essentially sold a load of players and bought a load of players. The vast majority of signings will disappoint but the odd one or two will shine. There is a school of thought that the late Jack Walker was behind most of moggas signings.

Expect players to be played out of position and some players will be frozen out for no reason.

His press conferences border on watching paint dry and he will infuriate your fans with his attitude.

On the good side he will play attacking football and there won't be a dull moment.

Mogga is a legend and always will be at Boro....... Some of the shorter memories on here forget the fact he was a Boro captain at 22 yrs old. A natural leader who played for free when we were in our darkest times.

As a manager he was hamstrung by that poisoned dwarf Gordon Strachen. It didn't work out for him here, but I'm sure most will agree with me when I say whatever success we are enjoying at the moment are built on the foundations of what he built and laid down in a financial sense... He may have a issue as a man manager but as I don't fully understand your situation as a club but if he has a bit of freedom he will do well for you guys I'm sure

He took us over when we were in free-fall after Strachan's mess(which Coventry fans will understand just how awful of a manager he is) with us lingering in the relegation zone and a team of average players on long term contracts with wages that their ability didn't warrant, so he was trying to offload the majority of the highest earners during his early time here whilst turning our results around to lead us out of the relegation zone into a comfortable mid-table finish. We could easily have been relegated that season as we were looking in a huge mess so he deserves huge credit for that. He was great for our youth players too. Joe Bennett was being offloaded by Strachan for something like £150,000 before Mowbray arrived and stopped the transfer and put him into the first team and he came became an important player for us before being sold just under 2 seasons later for £3.25 million to Villa; we had their eyes out. Again he showed lots of faith in our young ex-GK Jason Steele.

We started to rebuild things behind the scenes like our scouting where the remit seemed to be value for money signings, which on the whole he done well with some great signings like Friend for £100,000 and Leadbitter on a free. That will be important for a club like Coventry trying to work within tight budgets.

Under him we seemed to have a brilliant first half of the season only to fall to pieces in the second half with the end of the 2012-13 season we went from being in the automatic promotion mix to going into free-fall and feeling relieved when we couldn't be mathematically relegated. He was far too stubborn with his attractive football as it left us wide open defensively. Away from home we really struggled too after his first season or so. He must surely have learned massive lesson from that as it was his downfall. Towards the end of his spell here it was definitely the right decision to sack him as he was far too stubborn and was taking us backwards.

All-in-all I think he will be a brilliant manager for yous. I'm surprised no Championship clubs have got him before now as he has got lots of positives about him.

There is a school of thought that the late Jack Walker was behind most of moggas signings.

Wait, what? Did I miss something or am I missing a joke?

It was when he was at the Rovers, wasn't it? ;)

Suddenly feeling very old and getting my coat...

He did well enough in turning around our fortunes after taking over from Strachan but he had a squad at his disposal that shouldn't have been anywhere near the relegation places. We started the following season well but couldn't maintain it and we fell away a bit. The next season we also started well and then collapsed into what was the worse run of form in our history I believe. We ended that season with more defeats than any other season. This was blamed on the influence of a few players who then left, sadly we didn't really improve as it had nothing to do with them and he ended up leaving the club.

In terms of what to expect from him, you'll get an attempt to play decent football but a lot of the time if felt as if we were passing for passing's sake and as a result the football at times was actually rubbish. You're likely to get some interesting team selections with players being in favour or out of favour seemingly on a whim. Transfers will be decidedly hit and miss but without any kind of budget you have to make some allowances for that. Man management never seemed to be his strong point. Certain players seemed to be given a lot of chances regardless of how they played whilst others would not be given the same.

I don't rate him as highly as others do, I think people on here get too caught up in where we were when he took over rather than where we finished whilst he was our manager (12th, 7th and 16th). The fact is that Strachan was just doing a terrible job with a decent group of players but as that tends to be the comparison point with Mowbray then he's deemed to have done a good job.

There is a school of thought that the late Jack Walker was behind most of moggas signings.

Wait, what? Did I miss something or am I missing a joke?

Watson not Walker sorry.

I was just going to say I think you mean Jack Watson.

Mowbray was a great player and will always be remembered for it.

Buying and selling he can scrimp and save better than most.

He has tunnel vision on tactics and lacks man management.

Which simply means he cannot change his tactics through a game and will eventually lose control of the squad if he stays to long.

But I do thank him for stopping the rot.

I hope he is as successful for you as The Juke was for us. :D

Juke was sold on for a profit by us with lots of clubs battling for him after he done brilliant on loan at Bolton where he suited their style much better. Juke didn't do great here but he wasn't as bad as you're inferring. If anything Mowbray didn't use him properly as he didn't suit the lone striker role and was far better in a 4-4-2 where he had another striker close by to link up with like he had at Bolton.