oneBoro Forum

Points Required

Thought it would be interesting and a good gauge of where we are now and where we need to be.

We are currently second in the league after 35 games with 66 points to our name.

In the previous 10 seasons the following points were required at the conclusion of the regular season:

2013-14

Automatic Promotion - 86 points (2nd = 93 points, 3rd = 85 points)

Play-offs - 72 points (6th = 72 points, 7th = 71 points)

2012-13

Automatic Promotion - 78 points (2nd = 79 points, 3rd = 77 points)

Play-offs - 68 points (6th = 68 points, 7th = 68 points)

2011-12

Automatic Promotion - 87 points (2nd = 88 points, 3rd = 86 points)

Play-offs - 71 Points (6th = 75 points, 7th = 70 points)

2010-11

Automatic Promotion - 81 points (2nd = 84 points, 3rd = 80 points)

Play-offs - 73 points - (6th = 75 points, 7th = 72 points)

2009-10

Automatic Promotion - 80 points (2nd = 91 points, 3rd = 79 points)

Play-offs - 70 points (6th = 70 points, 7th = 69 points)

2008-09

Automatic Promotion - 81 points (2nd 83 = points, 3rd = 80 points)

Play-offs - 74 points (6th = 74 points, 7th = 74 points)

2007-08

Automatic Promotion - 76 points (2nd = 79 points, 3rd = 75 points)

Play-offs - 70 points (6th = 70 points, 7th = 70 points)

2006-07

Automatic Promotion - 85 points (2nd = 86 points, 3rd = 84 points)

Play-offs - 75 points (6th = 75 points, 7th = 74 points)

2005-06

Automatic Promotion - 82 points (2nd = 90 points, 3rd = 81 points)

Play-offs - 68 points (6th = 75 points, 7th 67 points)

2004-05

Automatic Promotion - 86 points (2nd = 87 points, 3rd = 85 points)

Play-offs - 71 points ( 6th = 73 points, 7th = 70 points)

If we can accumulate another 20 points from out 11 games that would suggest we would be in a position where automatic promotion would be a reality.

These next few games are going to be a real test.

UTB!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

• 2 weeks later...

So where does everyone think we will finish up?

I working on worst case scenario (In my mind) here so hopefully will be no worse.

Middlesbrough v Wigan - Win

Watford v Middlesbrough - Lose

Middlesbrough v Rotherham - Win

Middlesbrough v Wolves - Draw

Norwich v Middlesbrough - Lose

Fulham v Middlesbrough - Draw

Middlesbrough v Brighton - Win

That is 11 points and would see us finish on 83 points. That total would only see us secure an automatic spot in 3 of the past 10 seasons but we would lie comfortably in the play-off places most likely in 3rd or 4th spot.

This season is quite unique though with the closeness at the top....anything is possible.

As I said I am being pessimistic here with these predictions and if we can take maximum points at Fulham and at home to Wolves we can afford to lose at Watford and Norwich and still likely secure a Automatic spot.

Thoughts?

I think to achieve the results and points required, We need another decent striker. Big Eddie worked out that our only danger man is Bamford and dealt with the threat accordingly. So will others. Vossen must be played in preference to Tomlin. In short we won't get the points without scoring goals.

On a positive note I think that the key now lies in our home form with 4 of the last 7 fixtures at The Riverside, and 3 of those against bottom half clubs. If we can take maximum points from those games and a win at Fulham that will give us 87 points which should be enough, even for allowing for defeats at Norwich and Watford, (and after yesterday that is entirely feasible).

On a positive note I think that the key now lies in our home form with 4 of the last 7 fixtures at The Riverside, and 3 of those against bottom half clubs. If we can take maximum points from those games and a win at Fulham that will give us 87 points which should be enough, even for allowing for defeats at Norwich and Watford, (and after yesterday that is entirely feasible).

With the points Watford and Norwich would gain on us, could we really afford to lose both?

With the points Watford and Norwich would gain on us, could we really afford to lose both?

I think we probably could as they will also drop points as the pressure mounts

I still say 91 points (UTB!), but im not sure if thats mathematically possible now :( we could get 93 if we win all, win all and draw 1 would be 91. Ok so it is possible! Im sticking with my original answer, 91 points!

I came up with 87 points too, there are so many permutations. I did this in my head when we had 66 points and came up with 87 points as well and it's remained the same. I have it 3 home wins, plus 1 draw and 1 away win, with 2 draws, giving a Family Fortune of 87 points☻

Is it a prediction or a wish list? umm, a bit of both...

UTB

having watched Boro for so long  my predictions are  that we wont win all our home games and  most likely wont lose all 3 away games  but as for the total points we end up on  i think i was slightly out when i predicted 88 maybe  85 would be  a more realistic shout  and  that may be just short  i fear .  although i still stand by my claim that i dont think anyone will reach 90 so its gonna be extremely tight .  wish we had norwich or bournemouths fixtures though  at this particular time i put those 2 in pole  but how often has pole position changed in the last dozen or so games ....its brilliant for the neutral but nerve wracking for us thats involved  .

With the league so tight we also need to back up our points with a better goal scoring record because that could well be worth a point in the end. Atm we are out of the autos because of 3 goals! We need to put a few past Wigan after the break and avoid defeat at Watford.

With the league so tight we also need to back up our points with a better goal scoring record because that could well be worth a point in the end. Atm we are out of the autos because of 3 goals! We need to put a few past Wigan after the break and avoid defeat at Watford.

Goal difference will go back in our favour on Good Friday if we put Wigan to the sword and Real Derby beat Watford with all their world class players back from injury :D

4 wins should see us through I think - We will lose a game at home we are expected to win and win a game away we are expected to lose. 84 points will be enough I reckon. Bournemouth to win the league and us second.