"Football Tonight"

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Kelly Cates and George Riley will be the new sports duo bringing you every goal from all three divisions of the Sky Bet Football League from 9pm every Saturday of the season on Channel 5.

Not a bad pair in my opinion.

Two very good football journalists. Makes me feel more confident about this channel 5 deal

Looks like they are going along the lines of the 'F1 Show' with format for this - which works really well for Sky Sports.

It will be nice to not be wasting time on half informed punditry from ex-footballers like Steve Clairdge (who incidently is managing Salisbury FC [step 5 of non league football] who beat an AFC Bournemouth side last night) who can't possibly keep up with all 72 teams in the leagues.

Hopefully they use the fans opinions and more importantly get all the players names right.

There is loads of new technology going into this too - with fiber optic streams into a single hub from all 72 grounds in the football league enabling the earlier show time.. They are throwing some money at it, it seems, hopefully we end up with a decent show.

Hopefully it will be insightful and free of the usual ex footballers cliches and bad grammar.

We wont have to hear phrases like; "he done him there", "your Wayne Rooneys" and "get a shot off".

I'm glad I am not the only pedant on here!

Hopefully it will be insightful and free of the usual ex footballers cliches and bad grammar.

We wont have to hear phrases like; "he done him there", "your Wayne Rooneys" and "get a shot off".

I'm glad I am not the only pedant on here!

You certainly aren't, Tyler. :)

There is loads of new technology going into this too - with fiber optic streams into a single hub from all 72 grounds in the football league enabling the earlier show time.

Hopefully someone can hack this and put up some streams on a dodgey site somewhere :D

There is loads of new technology going into this too - with fiber optic streams into a single hub from all 72 grounds in the football league enabling the earlier show time.

Hopefully someone can hack this and put up some streams in a dodgey site somewhere :D

Ahh that was my first thought too. Maybe we will see more of the back of the heads of managers and zooming in on goalkeepers when there is a chance at the other end. Some of the camera focus in the dodgy streams last season was hilarious.

The best thing is the time change.

Definitely! I assume it'll finish before mot?! As I do like to watch both.

Quite liked Manish as a presenter, but the football knowledge on the BBC show was pretty poor.

The best thing is the time change.

Definitely! I assume it'll finish before mot?! As I do like to watch both.

Quite liked Manish as a presenter, but the football knowledge on the BBC show was pretty poor.

You having a laugh? Steve claridge's knowledge of ways to be negative about boro were 2nd to none!

Ahh that was my first thought too. Maybe we will see more of the back of the heads of managers and zooming in on goalkeepers when there is a chance at the other end. Some of the camera focus in the dodgy streams last season was hilarious.

I thought watching the back of peoples heads was a nice break to grab another beer, are you telling me they didn't stop playing while that happened??

Yeah they were talking about this on one of our forums a few weeks back.

The time change seems better suited, but I raised the point that some will miss out due to coming back from away games (not everyone has recording capabilities) or lose valuable pub time. I think the midnight run from before was better as it gave people a better opportunity to view.

Never watched much on the BBC though, the team you supported only ever featured for a few minutes (if that) and / or - it often seemed any team outside of the top six would be lucky to feature for more than 60 seconds. Claridge and the main presenter were good enough and a definite improvement on the lacklustre and banal Hansen and Lineker from the main MOTD programme before it though. One other problem being the cameraman almost always seemed to be ***ed and the focus would be zooming all over the studio but never at it's intended target - the presenters themselves.

Can only hope the Channel 5 set-up is an improvement on those "minor" issues.