oneBoro Forum

Top 5 performances you have witnessed

Carrying on with the "top 5" theme....

Best one-off performances from any player you have witnessed live (had to be at the game).

Inspired by someone choosing Alan Moore as favourite player as he played some great football in certain games.

Do you pick a Boro player that was just superb e.g. Branca v Swindon, Mendieta v Man U, Allan Johnstone debut (although that was only for 45 mins) etc...

Or do you choose a non-boro player who destroyed us e.g. Kanchelskis for Everton, Overmars for ***nal.

Or do you choose something not related to boro at all e.g. were you at old trafford for Beckham v Greece, did you see Ronaldo (9) put three past Man U.

3 of my top 5 are....

Juninho v Leicester away 1997 - Unbelieveable performance from the little fella, totally destroyed them. Downside was that this made them man-mark him in the coca cola cup final. I only wish this performance was save for the final as that would have been amazing.

I said it above but - Kanchelskis v Boro - Think it was boxing day or new years day about 95/96ish, lost 4-2 I think (Jeffers scored at least one) and he was fantastic.

Downing v Steua - Pretty much had to look after the whole of the left hand side on his own after the attacking subs were made, think he ended up assisting 3 of the goals.

Prob missed of loads of good ones, but this was just off the top of my head.....so am gonna hang fire choosing my last 2 until I see some of yours :)

I'll chuck in Steve Baker vs. Steve McManaman & Liverpool, 1998 Coca-Cola Cup.

Absolutely sensational display of Man-Marking done to perfection. McManaman hardly got a look in all game; Baker just completely nullified his threat.

Does it have to be a Boro player?

If so........ Alves v Man City to little to late

If not...... Vargas v England at Wembley. Absolutely battered our whole midfield and back 4

Alves against City was certainly one of mine to

But as for stand out performances that I witnessed was in my first boro game, I attended the game with an academy in I think 2000 or 2001 against Derby County, a certain Carlos Marinelli ran rampant with Derbys defence and we won 5-1 after 2 goals from him and a late consolation from Ravenelli, ever since I've been hooked so that's a performance I hold close to my heart

ill think of a lott more but the first one involves someone definately not  associted with  being a boro legend but i remember the person but not the opponents and thats Alan Kernaghan  scoring a hattrick  when used as a  makeshift centre forward .