oneBoro Forum

What does the Holgate mean to you?

As a person who never got the chance to go to Ayresome park and stand in the Holgate end I almost feel like i have missed a large part of what it means to be a Boro fan when hearing others talk about their memories of the old stadium and standing in the Holgate.

I noticed whilst watching our interview with Neil Grainger that everyone recalls different aspects of Ayresome park and it all means something a little different to everyone I've ever spoken to about it.

So I'd be very interested to hear the memories that you all have of our old ground and the Holgate end?

I was a childhood season ticket holder at Ayresome. Sadly never got to go in the Holgate, though. Was pretty young when we left and my dad was disabled, so missed out on that one.

Atmosphere always seemed electric from an outside view, though. My dad would have tons of stories!

I always remember getting a squeeze at the turnstile then walking down from the top of the stand into the Holgate End. I was quite young when I first started going and my dad and brother in law made sure we got behind one of the barriers high up and sit me on it. I always looked forward to half time to get my cup of bovril.

After the match on a night game I can always remember turning back every few steps walking back to the car just to see if the floodlights had been switched off.

I could write a book of stories just about the holgate. I used to stand 3/4 of the way up and when we scored and stopped bouncing id stop for a second have a look and work out where the hell i was. Useually down the bottom somewhere

I used to stand with my uncle towards the corner of the Holgate. I always remember this old bloke who used to stand in the same spot smoking his cigar and we could be winning 4 nill and he would still be shouting we are rubbish. He was a character.

i remember one of the first times i went in the holgate end (i used to stand below the boys end when i first went)   i was bursting for a pee so went to that long stiinky  bog  behind the main stand  and  while i was  at the urinal   two teenage lasses came in  and  used it also without a care in the world  lol .  think i was about 12 or 13   hence  its always gonna be etched on my memory .

I was stood about 3/4 of the way back and one of Gary Parkinson's pre-game warm up shot specials smashed my mate clean in the chops knocking his pie into his chops and onto the floor. Not sure if it was steak or chicken & mushroom but we nearly died laughing.

As CT said, and the only answer really, but characters on the screen can't do the sound and the emotion justice. At times goals were rare, but even from a young age I can remember jumping and shouting those letters continuously for so long that I was seeing 'sparkly lights' well after the game had kicked off again, trying to find your mates, getting back up the steps against the crowd all puffed out.

We mustn't forget, the act of shouting as loud as you can and bouncing into random strangers, and then not getting into a fight, is a pretty special thing in Boro. The feeling of everyone going chuffing mental together was just really amazing and I'd go back to those days in a heartbeat. But they need to recreate the holgate with forensic accuracy because the place was perfect. Can't say the same about the football... but it certainly had it's moments. Beating Newcastle to stay up was probably the most incredible day I had. Don't tell the mrs.

I was literally thinking about some times in the Holgate earlier on today and feeling a warm glow. I'm not biased or anything but I love this thread and everyone's comments so far, and it's taken me age to write this as the spirit of the stand is coursing through my veins and I've had to edit the language heavily...

EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO EIO ...

...and adidas samba.

: )

I remember if we ever scored you'd end up miles away from your mates and the lovely bovril (never had it since). Great at the time but I wouldn't go back to those times although I love being able to stand in the South Stand now!

From the outside It must of been like a holding pen for England's worst football fans. Loud, vulgar, harassing abusive to their players and ours. When things weren't going well it always seemed that it was about 15seconds away from a fight. But on the inside totally different, the language was colourful but the craic was immense when things were going well it was a wall of noise and everyone your best mate...... Loved it.