oneBoro Forum

Are You Enjoying This Season?

Are You Enjoying This Season  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Enjoying This Season

• Yes - Ups And Downs Are What Football Is All About
    • No - There's Too Much Pressure To Enjoy It

The question occurred to me this weekend, when I was talking to my friend about what we actually get out of being football fans. For me, last season was quite fun, as, although I ended up (like the rest of us) ultimately disappointed, I actually enjoyed the ride, possibly due to personal low expectations at the start (I thought we'd get playoffs).

This year it seems like a different beast. The pressure seems to be more based on grinding out results than memorable games or experiences. Obviously I'm still happy to be winning games and to be up at the top of the league, but rather than looking forward to games, I'm more nervous about us slipping up. And it seems to spill over onto social media quite a lot too, with every decision or quote from someone connected with the club being pulled apart and criticised.

What are other people's opinions?

The question occurred to me this weekend, when I was talking to my friend about what we actually get out of being football fans. For me, last season was quite fun, as, although I ended up (like the rest of us) ultimately disappointed, I actually enjoyed the ride, possibly due to personal low expectations at the start (I thought we'd get playoffs).

This year it seems like a different beast. The pressure seems to be more based on grinding out results than memorable games or experiences. Obviously I'm still happy to be winning games and to be up at the top of the league, but rather than looking forward to games, I'm more nervous about us slipping up. And it seems to spill over onto social media quite a lot too, with every decision or quote from someone connected with the club being pulled apart and criticised.

What are other people's opinions?

It's a fair question, but I think it would be shame if we can't enjoy a good season of results because we put ourselves under too much pressure to succeed.

I'm enjoying it a lot, and I still have absolute faith we'll go up automatically. 4 bad games, in which we picked up 4 points, is not season defining. We'll get back on form soon enough and kick on again.

Heading for promotion how can you not enjoy the season?.

If that was directed at me: Re-read what I wrote. I said that I'm happy to be winning games and being up near the top, but that the pressure of having to get a result every game was making it trickier to just relax and enjoy it. 

Incidentally, I've actually voted 'Yes', so this isn't about my own feelings on this season, just wondering about other people's.

If it wasn't: Carry on  :D

I'm enjoying the overall experience of this season - interesting transfer signings and being well placed in the league are making for an exciting season. I don't enjoy watching us play.

I think our football is dull but effective if we were playing this style and stuck in midtable it would be unbearable.

It's a good question Tom.

The obvious most people will point out is we're second in the league, how can we not be enjoying it? Which is fair enough when you compare it to recent seasons.

I've got to admit I wouldn't say I'm not enjoying this season, but I do feel under pressure. I'm getting more nervous about every game, and it's purely down to expectations. At the start of the season, with our signings made everyone was tipping us for top 2, therefore when we went through our blip before Wolves, I think that's why most of us were overreacting.

Again after our amazing run over Xmas where it looked like we would run away with it, our expectations again were raised, which is why these last few results have been so tough to take.

Last season I had no expectation at the start, thought we could scrape playoffs maybe. And I subsequently loved the season, as even in the second half I still had no expectation of top 2.. I enjoyed it all (until Wembley).

I think we just need to enjoy the ride, if you compare it to the years under Strachan and Mowbray, we really should be enjoying ourselves.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the season, the game at Brighton being my personal highlight. Now we're into the second half, as a fan I'm feeling the pressure, and to be honest the last few results have dampened my excitement slightly. But with our new signings and hopefully finding some form again, I'm looking forward to seeing if we can at least maintain or improve our position, with our destiny well and truly in our hands. Time for AK & the team to step it up, starting tomorrow!

I'm enjoying the season, we have some interesting players, attendances are up and we are being talked about in the media. That's pretty much what you get if you go up! I don't mind the championship at all and it's great to be doing well.

If we go up then that's brilliant for the club, if we slip a few places then I'd love to go to Wembley again, if we don't then we'll start again next season that's what football is all about in the main.

I'll support the Boro win or lose, whichever league that we are playing in, this season is heaven compared with a lot that I've witnessed.

I would say a mixed bag for me. However if was told we would be joint top 3 points clear and a game in hand with Rhodes leading our line right now at the start of the season I would be over the moon. I am still happy with the season but just feel Brighton showed how good we could be but we have rarely reached that level this season. But as I said I would have taken where we are at the start of the season.

Good question. I have to say in terms of the football played I enjoyed last season a lot more. At times some of our football last season was unbelievable. But I'm also enjoying this season, in terms of the transfer windows (how good was January again) and the fact that we seem to be getting a lot more wins. Winning is what football is all about. There's still so much to come from this squad of players though, our football can get a lot more attractive, we just need the new players to bed in quickly!

I confess I have been relatively easily convinced by the wife to go shopping the last couple of weekends but all in all this is a great season. Admittedly we are grinding our way up at the moment but if we make the Prem then it will all be worth it.

Like others I would hope that the new boys get a chance to shine as this blip will soon be forgotten if we get 3 points on Tuesday