oneBoro Forum

Suggestion for next season

It’s probably not the right time to discuss this, but I really do feel that the Predictions League needs a bit of a re-vamp.

As I see it, the winner should be the one who predicts the most correct results in a season.

In the present set-up, we are drawn head to head with an opponent, with the customary 3,1,0 points allocation. This adds a bit of fun to the league, but it isn’t exactly fair.

Is it fair that Maccarone, Raf Smog and Legendary Misfit have all made the same number of correct predictions so far (180 points) and yet are separated by 5 and 7 points from each other?  (Macca 2nd place, Raf 7th place and Legendary 14th place).

This season. It wouldn’t affect Trekkers too much, nor would it affect me (doomed to mid-table mediocrity yet again). But next season (Premier League or not) might see a very different story.

I would suggest that we keep to the present head-to-head system but that the final ranking is based only on the number of correct predictions. Goal difference could then be used as the decider.

Rant over. Life back to normal. Or as normal as it will get before Boro are promoted.

I'm up for a change if that is what the forum thinks. I think the Predictions League is a great asset to the forum and important it continues in whatever format, we need to encourage people to be more consistant and not give up, if that means using the correct predictions method then so be it.

I quite like it as it is. Sometimes, in football and the prediction league alike, you can score three goals and get beat because your opponent scores four, whereas another team can score one goal and win their game. That's just the breaks

I agree with liking the current set up, you can have a bad day at predictions but your opponent was worse, that's like in real football the better team on the day usually wins, you can't seeing them change the Premiership rules that the highest scorers win the league, it's all about head to heads so let's not change it.

I quite like it as it is. Sometimes, in football and the prediction league alike, you can score three goals and get beat because your opponent scores four, whereas another team can score one goal and win their game. That's just the breaks

Agreed

The only annoying thing about the current set up is the frustration of no shows!

im with trekkers on this . only thing worse than no shows is no shows that suddenly decide to turn up when youre playing them and beat you wheras everyone else gets away with 3 gift wrapped points which unfortunately for me happened 3 or 4 times this season .

i know where  oslo is coming from though ,but ultimately to remove the head to head games would take away a lot of the comeraderie.

I would suggest that we keep to the present head-to-head system but that the final ranking is based only on the number of correct predictions. Goal difference could then be used as the decider. :D

Seriously so the guy or woman that scores the most prediction points you would want to see win this season long competition.

So on that basis looking at the championship at the moment you would have Fulham higher than Boro although they are 40pts adrift of us.

Brighton top

Burnley second 

Brentford third.

Hell we would not even make the play offs on that basis. :D

I won't be predicting next season but I would think that the only problem as already been said "No shows". The rule on that should be 3 no shows and they are banned from predicting that season and the tables sorted accordingly. (Points deducted from previous games they have already played)That way no one loses out.

That's my twopenneth worth.

I had a bad start and for along time had no real chance of wining it but still as a courtesy and to maintain fair play continued to play each week to try to ensure that the eventual winner wins on merit, no showers are a problem so Cani ask that if you want to take part next year that you try to fulfil all your fixtures

Shame you won't be taking part next season MM, no shows need resolved though, like the three strikes rule.

Seems most prefer the current format with the addition of the no show rule.

I am happy to discuss changes and I agree the no shows is frustrating, trying to find a solution to no shows has been the maggot in my apple so to speak. we had the three strikes rule but then it meant people had weeks where they didn't predict?

I'm not keen on "three strikes and you're out" because it would surely have been applied to me. I've got a habit of getting engrossed in projects and then missing deadlines and I probably missed at least six rounds over the season. I'm not keen, either, on disqualifying players and undoing their previous scores. Opponents who beat them fair and square would likely not be best pleased to see their points forfeited.

However, I agree that something needs to be done about no shows and I propose using a default set of predictions for them, say 10 home wins and Gibson as first goal scorer. We did something similar last season for a member who worked on the rigs and SomBo used to predict on his behalf when he was away.

A set of default predictions would be a real boon for yours truly and also, I'm sure, for anyone else who inadvertently skips rounds from time to time.

almost ideal ,Macca.

im completely up for finding a solution and that one put forward by Bugs is pretty much ok other than if you took the average number of home wins on matchdays during this last season it was between 4 and 5 .

that means to actually beat a no show youd have to score 5 or maybe 6  ,which i think is a little harsh on those who actually predict.  you cant give them an advantage , surely.

I Dont mean to be awkward as i appreciate its a thankless task and if i was more cued up on data input /charting etc id  be willing to give my own time to help out with competions side of things  , but the advantage surely has to be fair and even to those who participate each week.

i did have a couple of suggestions but dont want to interfere too much, just pointing out a slight flaw in what otherwise seems a decent proposal , hope you dont mind .