oneBoro Forum

God Bless you Boro I have awoke from the brutalities of a night shift post attending the game. The result means I can fully commit my attention to England and build myself up into the 'its our year' hype.

For once I think this is truly a wide open tournament with no team truly outstanding at present. England have arguably been one of the top teams since the display in Brazil. It is also nice to see 4 home nations represented at this years Euros.

On England though the current squad is starting to look quite exciting. The influx of English players at Spurs, the miracle of Vardy and the fact we have so many forward talents right now that Rashford (who looks like a very special player) will not get a look in despite his incredible form. My big concern for England however is at centre back. Earlier in the season we seemed to finally be seeing some stepping up to the level but Stones and Smallings form (especially Stones) has dropped over the past few months. That position could be the difference between England getting to the latter stages or succumbing to another disappointing tournament.

Just to carry on the getting into it buzz.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I wouldn't mind if Rooney played deeper. I think his career will eventually drift into him pulling back into central midfield so it could be time to try it out in our remaining friendlies.

I think he's starting to lose his finishing touch and what pace he had. He's not strong enough as a lone forward, Kane is much better and has had a terrific season alongside Alli.

I'd like something like:

Hart

Walker Smalling Cahill Rose

Dier Drinkwater

Lallana Alli Sterling

Kane

It's actually a real struggle to come up with a good side. I was contemplating sticking Vardy out wide as Lallana doesn't stand out as a wide player and Sterling has had a poor second half to the season. And picking a partner for Smalling is just as difficult. None of the potential partners have really stood out this season. I wish I could pick Jones as I thought he would have made that partnership with Smalling his own by now but he really hasn't found his potential. Stones has dropped off a bit so that leaves it between Jagielka and Cahill and though neither have covered themselves in glory this year, Cahill stands out as a better defender.

I really tried taking Drinkwater out of that team too as I think him and Dier might be too similar but with Henderson injured and Wilshere having been injured all year, that leaves Milner who I don't rate too much and possibly Rooney.

I actually think Gibson would be a better option to partner Smalling than any of the others right now. Might sound daft but I think there's probably a few English centre-backs in the Championship who'd give me more confidence than Jagielka, Stones and Cahill.

Anyone going? In the ballot stage before the draw had been made I applied through UEFA to as many games as was allowed (cant apply to more than one game on one matchday) and managed to get 2 pairs of tickets, one for a group stage game, which by some unbelievable stroke of luck (there were over 3.5m ticket applications for the tournament) was drawn as England v. Wales, and also a pair of tickets to the first quarter final in M***ille, which unfortunately cant be England but I think could potentially be France v. Spain depending on where they come in the groups.

got a feeling the slight optimism i have at present will be dampened by woys squad  choice

personally id take Rooney but i dont see how he warrants a starting berth... dampener A to follow

i have issues with quite a few of the main contenders defensively and this is where il  be  most likely to disagree with the ones picked 

my personal choices would be     Hart, Forster and  Foster   ...gk,s     ///// Clyne and Walker as right backs in that order

Rose and Bertrand as left backs in that order ...not keen on Baines or Gibbs   maybe take Cresswell

centre halfes i have issues with   all of them in a way  im not confident od any pairing really  but im  assuming he will pick  Stones, Jagielka, Cahill, and Smalling  .      Never been a fan of  Jones  ,,,,  Scott Dann, or maybe  Tomkins , Duff or Shawcross might creep in  if Gibson is  a benchmark . but in all likeliness those 4

out of the ones likely to go  for definate id have to rreluctantly choose Cahill and Smalling but theyve both got a major rickitt in them .

Dier will go for sure as a holding middy  and i would personally pick Carrick ahead of Drinkwater to partner him .  also major talking point here would be what about Wilshere. ..  hes a class act no doubt BUT hes been crocked for ever and a day  ..just dont see how hed be able to warrant a starting place maybe if we take 4 holders hedsneak in the squad  but iys most likely just 3 ..... plus id go with  Delph as my 3rd choice rather than Drinkwater ..Im assuming Hendersons out thru injury .

attacking mids id take  Milner,   Rooney , Alli,  , Lallana, Barkley  .......and one from the ***nal trio of  welbeck, oxlad c  and walcott.

and up front id take  Kane, Sturridge  and  Vardy

starting line up

Hart

Clyne..Cahill..Smalling,,Rose

Carrick..Dier

Lallana,,Alli..Barkley

Kane

Deeney?!? Are you smoking crack? I'd much rather take Andy Carroll if we're going down that route.

The 23 will probably be;

1. Hart

2. Forster

3. Heaton

4. Clyne

5. Walker

6. Rose

7. Baines

8. Cahill

9. Smalling

10. Jagielka

11. Stones

12. Milner

13. Henderson

14: Barkley

15: Alli

16: Dier

17: Drinkwater

18: Walcott

19. Sterling

20: Rooney

21: Vardy

22: Kane

23: Sturridge

Deeney?!? Are you smoking crack? I'd much rather take Andy Carroll if we're going down that route.

The 23 will probably be;

1. Hart

2. Forster

3. Heaton

4. Clyne

5. Walker

6. Rose

7. Baines

8. Cahill

9. Smalling

10. Jagielka

11. Stones

12. Milner

13. Wilshere

14: Barkley

15: Alli

16: Dier

17: Welbeck

18: Walcott

19. Sterling

20: Rooney

21: Vardy

22: Kane

23: Sturridge

More like it. Now Wilshere is back, he's sure to take him and I think Henderson is injured. No doubt Welbeck will make it in too, if his injury today isn't serious. I don't think Danny Drinkwater is going to be selected, which is unfortunate.

I don't quite understand why we don't pick the most in form players. The national teams really don't play often enough together to gain any real chemistry between one another so I'd argue there's no reason for Hodgson just to pick his favourite players.

For me, we need to focus on groups of England players who have worked together well and this season the best example of that is Spurs. They play a similar system to England, one which Hodgson could quickly emulate with the players he has available. Sticking with that spine of players that has played so well will be the best chance we have of going far in the Euros.

I've got a feeling we'll be the surprise package this year. Might not win it, but I think we'll see some exciting football for a change. I'm really looking forward to seeing England play (which is a sentence I've never made before).