oneBoro Forum

"The Project"

Hi all,

Long time lurker, occasional poster.

As someone who regularly listens to the EG's "tripe supper" its common to hear Anthony Vickers refer to new players buying into the "project". Obviously, the project was to get promoted - but now we're here.

What is the new project that he alludes to? The one that he feels entices players?

Staying up?

Cup runs?

Top half?

Europe?

What do you is our new "project"?

Becoming an established premier league club is the 1st priority. Once this is established I think we will continue to purchase Fischer-like players those with big potential for low value. I think we will go about this all in a more sensible way ensuring we dont get ourselves in the financial mess we got ourselves last time we were in the premier league.

Cups will be our best bet of success and getting into Europe in the short term. Perhaps challenging for a champions league place in the mid term future. That would be my target although perhaps quite an optimistic viewpoint.

I don't think getting up was the project, that was just phase 1.

Gibson is ambitious, we all know that. The way I see it, we'll be aiming to become established in this division once more as phase 2. Beyond that is probably not worth talking about too much, just as becoming established in the PL wasn't worth discussing until we were actually there.

Established being in the league for more than a couple of seasons without the Sunderland/Villa way of scraping 16th/17th. So probably aiming to be the equivalent of Stoke right now.

Im feeling quite positive with our potential it seems we have prepared in off field terms ie the scouting network and the other non playing staff who have come in with good reputations. We do seem to have a very good plan for having a good crack at being more than just a relegation scrapper.

I would imagine that the Projects target is a well established premier league club, difficult to beat, top 10 up over with a cup pedigree.

just how it used to be before GS1

Having seen what Leicester have done last season I believe Gibbo will be itching to do something special of our own, I believe the ultimate aim will be to bring European nights back on Teesside. I'm getting ducksin just thinking about it, we're back in the big time!

I'm hoping we go for the cups personally, teams don't really take the cups that seriously anymore, i really want us to win another cup in the next few years. I'm not ***d about finishing top half if we're going all out for trophy wins, aslong as we don't go down ofc.

Phase 2....become an established Premier League side. I don't believe we're looking beyond that right now.

Right now, I'd say you're right. The final goal of 'the project'? I'd say to reach where we were around 05/06, and possibly eclipse it.

Phase 2....become an established Premier League side. I don't believe we're looking beyond that right now.

Right now, I'd say you're right. The final goal of 'the project'? I'd say to reach where we were around 05/06, and possibly eclipse it.

Absolutely. I'd say Gibbo thinks that's very achievable in today's climate too and he doesn't need much encouragement.

I'd like to think we are looking to somewhat emulate Southampton (With maybe a bit less of the selling). Although if we manage to replicate what they have done in the transfer market I wouldn't moan.

They got up, stayed up. Took a few years to establish themselves and have been in Europe and are still pushing for it year on year.

I also think they are a similar sort of club to us. So this is definitely not unrealistic.

I forgot to add the caveat to mine that I'm sure Gibbo will want to achieve all that again but with a younger, less journeyman ridden squad.