oneBoro Forum

Gaston Ramirez

Just putting this one out there will Ramirez prove to be a shrewd signing or a Premier flop. I was one of the fans who was happy when he signed but have been mainly disappointed with the majority of his performances in the number 10 role.

What does stick in my mind is the fact that 2 top PL manager's didn't rate him enough to play him, and Saints fans called him their most expensive flop, I'm hoping he can make the transition to a good PL footballer but the doubts for me are there at the moment.

In his defence, in the games he's played, he's hardly had anyone moving in front of him creating space for themselves and Gaston.

Last season, as a partnership, Gaston and Rhodes got us over the line. They complimented each other.

I think at the moment we're making it very hard for him to succeed. I'm not trying to take the blame away from Ramirez as his performances haven't been up to par but when we play with two wingers that don't look to go past people it makes it very easy for teams to man mark Ramirez and pretty much take him out of the game. When he's looked at his best in this league we've been playing higher tempo almost one touch football, if we do this more often I think he'll be a success but if we continue to isolate him and expect him to do everything then he'll obviously struggle. Bringing Traore in could help this as it gives opposition defenders something else to think about.

The way we play at present is too predictable. All teams need to do is nullify Ramirez and then we essentially have nothing in an attacking sense. I think if we played the likes of Fischer and Traore alongside Ramirez they would have a lot more to worry about and perhaps give Ramirez more time and space to influence games.

Similar to what Will said.

In his defence, in the games he's played, he's hardly had anyone moving in front of him creating space for themselves and Gaston.

Last season, as a partnership, Gaston and Rhodes got us over the line. They complimented each other.

There's no doubt that if you haven't got movement in front of you its going to be difficult, so when Ramirez is in the side which will be more often than not would you play Rhodes instead of Negredo.

I was talking with a Southampton mate of mine only last week. We had a chat about Ramirez, and my mate is still convinced that he's not good enough to cut it in the PL.

I have two concerns regarding Ramirez and Boro. One is that he's a good Championship player, but not much more. IF that's the case, then it will be a shame. The other is that he knew he was out of contract at the end of last season, and really turned it on in order to get a new deal. Having secured one, he's now happy to be more low-key again.

Before I get slated for the above.... it is only a CONCERN, so I realise that it might prove to be completely unfounded. Ramirez could yet turn out to be great.

There's no doubt that if you haven't got movement in front of you its going to be difficult, so when Ramirez is in the side which will be more often than not would you play Rhodes instead of Negredo.

I would play Rhodes over Negredo most games.

OT: Negredo has done nothing to say he deserves the shirt. We lose possession far too much from him trying to play a first time pass around the corner or a fancy flick.

I was talking with a Southampton mate of mine only last week. We had a chat about Ramirez, and my mate is still convinced that he's not good enough to cut it in the PL.

I have two concerns regarding Ramirez and Boro. One is that he's a good Championship player, but not much more. IF that's the case, then it will be a shame. The other is that he knew he was out of contract at the end of last season, and really turned it on in order to get a new deal. Having secured one, he's now happy to be more low-key again.

Before I get slated for the above.... it is only a CONCERN, so I realise that it might prove to be completely unfounded. Ramirez could yet turn out to be great.

I don't think its a case of slating you I think you've made a valid concern, we all hope Ramirez turns out to be a quality PL player, I'd like to think by the backend of this season we're touting him as one of our players of the year, he's certainly one of the main reasons we're in the PL he was outstanding for us.

OT: Negredo has done nothing to say he deserves the shirt. We lose possession far too much from him trying to play a first time pass around the corner or a fancy flick.

Yep I think Rhodes should be given a good run in the side, I have no doubt he'll have a point to prove it may well suit Ramirez's game as well.

Chris Sutton said Ramirez and Negredo just doesn't work.

I dunno whether I'd agree with the first thing but the second is spot on.  The stupid thing is that when he doesn't do it he and we look a little better as he's shown he can bring other people into play. It's like he's seeing so little of the ball that he's trying too hard when he does get it.  Understandable in a way but he's an experienced player and he needs to understand that when he does get it we can't afford for him to lose it cheaply.

On Ramirez, he works reasonably hard but I'm not convinced he's got the quality to succeed at this level consistently game on game. As with any player though he'd look better in a team that had a few more weapons and was just better in general.  It's hard for us to stretch teams vertically because we have no pace up top or out wide and Stuani and Downing tend to sit deeper.  As a result it's easier for teams to compact space.  We can sort of stretch teams horizontally as Stuani tends to stick out wide on the right giving Downing the option of a crossfield pass and Friend will overlap down the left but I think it's easier to defend against that when it's all that you have and you tend to do it all quite slowly.  If you can stretch teams vertically and horizontally you will open up space and that may be where you get a more effective Ramirez.

I hope Adama coming into the team gives him a bit more time and space on the ball, as defenders have two more creative players to deal with. Whatever Downing and Stuani's strengths, they aren't the most dynamic with the ball.

I hope Adama coming into the team gives him a bit more time and space on the ball, as defenders have two more creative players to deal with. Whatever Downing and Stuani's strengths, they aren't the most dynamic with the ball.

Putting Traore in the side certainly gives Ramirez more options, I know Downing has had a steady away season so far, but would like to see him getting a bit more involved with the inter passing with Ramirez.

Ramirez have been a class act in the first half against Gunners :)

No coincidence that Traore is deflecting a lot of the pressure that Ramirez usually gets.

He wasn't really class and he also wasn't playing where he normally plays. He did ok but not much more than that. Worked hard but didn't have enough of the ball to really be class at all.