Victor Valdes

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

One thing I love about Valdes especially is that he's very good at pushing the ball out to the side when a shot comes at him whereas Dimi, whilst being a good shot stopper, used to palm it back into the middle of the six yard box. We lost goals because of it in The Championship and he'd have way more shots to deal with in the PL so would probably lose us plenty of goals that way which we won't with Valdes.

I didn't see the first half and the first 10 of the second. Tuned in just as Forshaw had his chance set up by Adama. So I didn't get to see much from Valdes.

Have to say though, whilst he's been improving for the most part through every game, the lack of communication between him and his defenders at times is nearly costing us.

That chance he gave away because he's confident of beating off 2-3 men to catch the ball on the edge of his box had me screaming at him. Guaranteed one a game at the moment pretty much and that concerns me as it won't be long before it costs us a goal.

I didn't see the first half and the first 10 of the second. Tuned in just as Forshaw had his chance set up by Adama. So I didn't get to see much from Valdes.

Have to say though, whilst he's been improving for the most part through every game, the lack of communication between him and his defenders at times is nearly costing us.

That chance he gave away because he's confident of beating off 2-3 men to catch the ball on the edge of his box had me screaming at him. Guaranteed one a game at the moment pretty much and that concerns me as it won't be long before it costs us a goal.

You can't really comment then if you didn't see the first half then and we could've been well out of the game without at least two excellent saves.

You can't really comment then if you didn't see the first half then and we could've been well out of the game without at least two excellent saves.

He can comment on the part he did see, which is exactly what he has done. 

He made some big saves in the first half and was very good in the same way that Mejias was very good when we played them in the Cup there.  However wilson is spot on that there is still an issue with the communication between him and the defenders.  Pretty much every game we see something along those lines.  It needs to be sorted.

The problem is it's the same 'flap' in each game and sometimes it's more than once per game anyway. It's the same basic problem and it should be something that can be fixed.

^^^

That's right suck as much energy out of the team as you can :D

Urrrm well I very much doubt my response to a question you posed would suck the energy out of the team. But I suppose the fact you slapped a smiley face on the end means I can take it in jest?

Valdes' shot stopping today was impressive, however my concerns thus far have not been regarding his shot stopping ability, it's been his comms and decision making, a concern I'm yet to see put to bed.

I'm not quite sure how me sharing my opinion would suck energy out of the team but just to be on the safe side, in future I will just agree that dimi's ghost has been exercised...whatever the hell that even means.

Understanding takes time to build. We didn't get that defensive record overnight in the Championship. Agree with the assessment with communication but it has improved since the start of the season. We have young guns at the heart of defence who are just starting to build their partnership and with their keeper, I think they can take many positives from today.

i seen a totally different perspective from you. what i saw was a high ball dropping down and two boro defenders not taking change and looking indecisive. valdes spotted the same as me and flew out to deal with it. which he did do. i bet he dished out a rollocking to them infront of him to.

imo he made the correct decision to fly out(no threat afterwards), he never handled it because he was afraid to give hand ball. the defending in front of him was what you should have been screaming at. imo

Completely disagree with that. What danger was there with two defenders around the ball and Valdes in position? There's no way they were going to score from that situation. Coming out as he did when he couldn't claim the ball with his hands was lunacy. I need to see it again but it wouldn't surprise me if part of the reason for Gibson and Friend's indecision was because they saw him charging out. I'm sure Gibson could see him coming.