oneBoro Forum

Gibson's in demand

I can't see him going for some time yet, just to sit on a bench somewhere. From a career point of view he's in the best place he could be right now, regular games and team captain, uncle at the helm.

As a centre half who spent a lot of his younger/learning years at a lower local club is probably best to advise Gibbo on his best route of action, AK will use his own experience to give sound advise, we've also got uncle Gibbo who will have his best interests at heart, no point going to a big club to sit on the bench and in effect stall your development/ career

As a centre half who spent a lot of his younger/learning years at a lower local club is probably best to advise Gibbo on his best route  of action, AK will use his own experience to give sound advise, we've also got uncle Gibbo who will have his best interests at heart, no point going to a big club to sit on the bench and in effect stall your development/ career

Exactly, with AK coaching him he's only going to keep on improving. Who knows what his his eventual  zenith will be. I think he's worth more to us by keeping him or they may let him go to bring Fry on, or maybe we'll end up with the best centre back pairing in The Premier League. Gibson and Fry, sounds good. The best pairing since Maddren and Boam.

As a centre half who spent a lot of his younger/learning years at a lower local club is probably best to advise Gibbo on his best route  of action, AK will use his own experience to give sound advise, we've also got uncle Gibbo who will have his best interests at heart, no point going to a big club to sit on the bench and in effect stall your development/ career

Exactly, with AK coaching him he's only going to keep on improving. Who knows what his his eventual  zenith will be. I think he's worth more to us by keeping him or they may let him go to bring Fry on, or maybe we'll end up with the best centre back pairing in The Premier League. Gibson and Fry, sounds good. The best pairing since Maddren and Boam.

Gibson will likely be gone before Fry breaks into the first team. Unless we magically become a top-8 team and challenge for Europe I can't see Gibson staying here beyond next season providing we manage to stay up. If his development continues he will be playing at a Champions League club and that is something the club should be proud about. You can't keep a player like that at a lower-midtable club. Just look at the players Southampton have had to sell over the last few years and Everton this year with Stones.

Gibson will likely be gone before Fry breaks into the first team. Unless we magically become a top-8 team and challenge for Europe I can't see Gibson staying here beyond next season providing we manage to stay up. If his development continues he will be playing at a Champions League club and that is something the club should be proud about. You can't keep a player like that at a lower-midtable club. Just look at the players Southampton have had to sell over the last few years and Everton this year with Stones.

Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. Why should we let our best prospects go to the big clubs? We will never become a big club ourselves if we do that.

Ben Gibson should be seen as a key player instrumental to the development of this club, should we stay up this season.

Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. Why should we let our best prospects go to the big clubs? We will never become a big club ourselves if we do that.

Ben Gibson should be seen as a key player instrumental to the development of this club, should we stay up this season.

There are some players it would be impossible to keep. The ones that are possible to keep we need to hold onto and add to. If Southampton had kept thier players they'd have Walcott the ox. Bale. Lallana shaw etc etc. They would be top six at least But what they have got is the 200 mill they sold them for. But not sure what good it's doing them

There are some players it would be impossible to keep. The ones that are possible to keep we need to hold onto and add to. If Southampton had kept thier players they'd have Walcott the ox. Bale. Lallana shaw etc etc. They would be top six at least But what they have got is the 200 mill they sold them for. But not sure what good it's doing them

I see where you're coming from, but to me money is no good if the only players we can attract are worse than the ones we sell. Until we become a top six club that's always going to be the case.

There are some players it would be impossible to keep. The ones that are possible to keep we need to hold onto and add to.  If Southampton had kept thier players they'd have Walcott  the ox. Bale. Lallana shaw etc etc.   They would be top six at least     But what they have got is the 200 mill they sold them for.  But not sure what good it's doing them

I see where you're coming from, but to me money is no good if the only players we can attract are worse than the ones we sell. Until we become a top six club that's always going to be the case.

I think we suffer geographically in terms of attracting players. I actually don't think we'll ever become a [consistently] top six side.

I have a good mate who is a Southampton fan. He obviously doesn't like the fact that Southampton have sold so many of their best players (and lost good managers). However, what he does think is that Southampton are fairly consistently improving.... so I guess as long as you stay on an uptrend, it's OK.

[Having said that, I reckon Southampton seem a bit worse this year]!!

There are some players it would be impossible to keep. The ones that are possible to keep we need to hold onto and add to.  If Southampton had kept thier players they'd have Walcott  the ox. Bale. Lallana shaw etc etc.   They would be top six at least     But what they have got is the 200 mill they sold them for.  But not sure what good it's doing them

I think we suffer geographically in terms of attracting players. I actually don't think we'll ever become a [consistently] top six side.

I have a good mate who is a Southampton fan. He obviously doesn't like the fact that Southampton have sold so many of their best players (and lost good managers). However, what he does think is that Southampton are fairly consistently improving.... so I guess as long as you stay on an uptrend, it's OK.

[Having said that, I reckon Southampton seem a bit worse this year]!!

If they'd used the 200million or so to strengthen I could see why they sell but they only seem to spend the money they would have had anyway so where is the money

The thing is if Southampton kept hold of all the players they sold then the younger ones coming through wouldn't get the same game time to develop.

And aren't they still consistently finishing higher each season?

The thing is if Southampton kept hold of all the players they sold then the younger ones coming through wouldn't get the same game time to develop.

And aren't they still consistently finishing higher each season?

Yes, I think they are. I just reckon they probably won't do this season. Especially if they sell van Dijk in January (which I reckon would be crazy).