oneBoro Forum

Boro Vs Wednesday (FA Cup) 3-0

*Opens Football Manager* .. 

*Opens 'Middlesbrough Save'*

Next Match: Sunday 8th January 2017 (4 days)

English FA Cup

Middlesbrough v Sheffield Wednesday

Riverside

Inbox

Gestede signs

Rudy Gestede has put pen to paper and joined Middlesbrough for £6million until summer 2020. Aitor Karanka has said he is "delighted" with the move, and will show his delightment by never playing him more than 3 minutes at the end of games. 

more...

De Sart set to move to Derby County on loan

The loan move of Middlesbrough's Julien De Sart to Derby County can now be completed.

accept ...

Middlesbrough Slight Favourites For FA Cup Clash

Middlesbrough 17/20   Draw 23/10   Sheffield Wednesday 7/2 (Fa Cup)

According to Ladbrokes, Middlesbrough are favourites to edge this FA Cup game against Championship side Sheffield Wednesday. Middlesbrough are currently lying in 16th place in the Premier League while Sheffield Wednesday are 6th in the division below.

The referee for this game will be David Coote, who has shown 83 yellow cards and 2 red cards in 22 games so far this season.

Sheffield Wednesday scouting report

Juanjo Vila has sent the report on Sheffield Wednesday as requested.

Form: D - X - W - W - W

Goals Scored Away: 12 (28 total)

Goals Conceded Away: 13 (24 total)

Sheffield Wednesday have scored 11 of their 28 goals in the last 15minutes of games. But have also conceded 9 of their 24 in that time too.

Top Goal Scorer: Forestieri (6)

Likely Line-Up: Westwood; Hunt, Lees, Sasso, Reach; McManaman, Lee, Hutchinson, Bannan; Forestieri, Fletcher

Past Meetings

Middlesbrough          Played 106     Won 43     Drawn 17     Lost 46

Sheffield Weds          Played 106     Won 46     Drawn 17     Lost 43

Last Five Meetings

28 December 2015 Middlesbrough 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday (Championship)    

29 August 2015 Sheffield Wednesday 1-3 Middlesbrough (Championship)          

28 February 2015 Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 Middlesbrough (Championship)

23 August 2014 Middlesbrough 2-3 Sheffield Wednesday (Championship)

1 March 2014 Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Middlesbrough (Championship)

First Ever Meeting

16 Feb 1895 Sheffield Wednesday 6-1 Middlesbrough (FA Cup)

Pre-Match press conference about to begin

• Recent reports have shown you are trying to sign an attacking midfielder or two? Who would you like to add to the squad?
  • You have just signed Gestede from Aston Villa. Will he be looking to start this game against Wednesday?
  • After a tough Christmas period, what changes, if any, would you be making in the FA Cup?
  • There are some rumours that Ayala and Nugent are set to leave the club. Will you cry if this happens?

Squad Selection

Guzan; Nsue, Ayala, Bernardo, Friend; Leadbitter, De Roon, Forshaw; Ramirez, Downing; Negredo

Submit Team or Make Changes?

Let's Give The Fans Something To Cheer Today...

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done J9.

This is a tricky fixture for us. Sheffield We'd are no slouches who will want to test themselves against a new promoted team to see how they match up in terms of their own development.

Going to go for a 3-1 win for us Negredo x 2 and a late Gestede goal and Reach for them.

Loads of tickets available. It'll be interesting to see the attendance for this one, only £15 anywhere in the ground.

I think we'll give them a good hammering.

What qualifies as a hammering? Anything more than 1-0? :)

I was going to say 'When do we EVER give anyone a good hammering"..... but I guess Swansea at home was more or less one!

HOWEVER, I think this match is a different kettle of fish.

I think we will field a much changed side (6 changes from regular starters), and I reckon Sheff. Wed will be up for it, and they're decent.

Those things considered, I think we go down 1-2, and get knocked out of the cup.

A week until the next game and they've had 5 days since the last. Nu reason not to field a strong team. More match fitness for Espinosa and Leadbitter and maybe a first start for Gestede.

A week until the next game and they've had 5 days since the last. Nu reason not to field a strong team. More match fitness for Espinosa and Leadbitter and maybe a first start for Gestede.

Was about to write the same :)

All 4 of the predictors in Lawro's FA Cup predictions have us down to lose this one. Lawro and 3 football YouTubers (City, Spurs and ***nal fans respectively). Lawro and the City fan have us down to lose 1-0, the other 2 have us down to draw 1-1 but lose the replay.

I think that's a bit harsh to be honest. Not saying they have no chance by any means but to be so unconvinced by us when in reality, our stats aren't too far away from what theirs are, we have home advantage and have the advantage in recent meetings as well, seems a bit strange. We won both our games last year and if anything, our squad has improved since then.

Goals per game (going by League stats):

Boro - 0.85

Wednesday - 1.12

Goals conceded per game:

Boro - 1.1

Wednesday - 0.96

If you go home record vs. away record, it's even closer than that. Both teams concede a goal per game and have scored 1 less than the games they've played.

Away from the game itself, Lawro has ripped us to shreds this season. Everything I've read from him is beyond a joke. We've not been that bad for a side out of the top division for 7 years, with a manager making his Prem debut, along with a fair few players doing the same barring any one-off appearances here and there from when they were younger.

We've got the joint 4th best defence in terms of goals conceded this season, by far the best defence in the bottom half of the table (a good 9 goals off Burnley and Leicester). We've beaten all 3 of the teams in the bottom 3, which are the teams we need to beat. I'd say our main area of concern is the number of goals we score but we've already seen and heard that this is something that we're trying to solve this month. Things could be much worse for us right now but if you listened to Lawro, you'd think it was all doom and gloom already.