Middlesbrough hit with transfer blow for defensive target
Middlesbrough have been hit with a major transfer blow as key target Jack Simpson is set to remain at Bournemouth for the rest of the season.
Simpson had been linked with a move to Boro in recent weeks, and a decision was expected to be made this week.
It appears that Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe has decided against loaning the defender, fearing that his absence could leave them short at the back.
Simpson has struggled to make the first team this season and has mainly played in the Cup competitions. The 23-year-old made his seventh appearance of the season in the Cherries FA Cup defeat to Arsenal on Monday night.
Speaking after the game Eddie Howe revealed that the defender was going to remain at the club until the end of the season.
"Jack will be staying with us due to a couple of problems that we have."
Simpson also reiterated what his manager said and also admitted that he had known about his future a couple days back.
"Obviously, I want to play for this football club. I knew a couple of days ago I'd be staying. I spoke to the manager about it and just said my focus is here."
This is a big blow for Boro, with manager Jonathan Woodgate searching for defensive reinforcement.
- Middlesbrough interested in Bristol City forward
- Neil Warnock delighted to have Duncan Watmore on board
It appears that the Boro will have to go all out for Leicester defender Filip Bencovic who is rumoured to be closing in on a move to the Riverside Stadium.