Jump to content
oneBoro Forum


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by McMordie

  1. Funny how the football results become a diary of your life.

    Exactly 49 years ago this evening I watched Match of the Day for the first time. 20 November 1971 - Arsenal 5 Wolves 1 and West Ham 0 Man City 2.

    I couldn't sleep and my dad let me get out bed and watch it with him. I didn't realise at the time that I could stay in bed, go back to sleep and watch the games on Youtube 49 years later. (Sorry for the spoilers above if anyone wants to do so - the Wolves game is a cracking game, played in a blizzard).


    Earlier in the day we'd been at Ayresome Park watching Boro beat Orient 1-0.

    • Like 2

  2. Boro's First Foray into the FA Cup.


    This week saw the 117th anniversary of Boro's first ever FA Cup match as Staveley travelled from Derbyshire to Teesside on 10 November 1883.

    The visitors were a physically strong side and were expected to win, with Boro's task made harder by the absence of Cochrane, who had been kicked in the groin in a Sheffield Association Cup game a few days earlier. The Sheffield trophy was Boro's premier competition in their pre-FA Cup days and clearly wasn't just for Yorkshire tams as the opponent who had applied his boot to Cochrane's bol---ks was playing for Surrey at the time.

    10 November saw bright sunshine on Teesside but it felt bitterly cold in a very strong wind and the game would be dominated by the elements.

    Boro won the toss and chose to play with the benefit of the wind and the son in the first half. They duly pinned Staveley back but couldn't put the ball in the net (some things never change). They duly went behind against the run of play when Potter scrambled the ball home after a goalmouth scramble. Boro responded well, however, and drew level before the interval. Ewbank won possession and passed to Borrie, whose shot hit the bottom of the post and Pringle netted the rebound for Boro's first ever FA Cup goal.

    The home side's dominance was mainly down to the elements and although the wind dropped over half time Boro found themselves on the back foot without the benefit of the conditions after the break. Solid defending kept them in it until the later stages, as Boro tired and Staveley hit them with 4 late goals to run out 5-1 winners (I get the impression that the writer who composed the newspaper report from which this is taken left early to file his copy as the details of the late goals are non-existant).

    So Boro's hopes of a Wembley Cup Final in 1884 were thwarted, both by this defeat at the first hurdle and also the fact that Wembley wasn't built for another 40 years.

    Boro - Dawkins, Booker, Wynn, Peel, McNellis, Coates, Pickstock (Captain), Pringle, Barrie, Thompson, Ewbank.

    Staveley - Kay, James, Peel, S Hay, Rice, Widdowson, Mather, Crook, J Hay (Captain), Godfrey, Potter.

    Umpire - F Hardisty  Referee - Mr R Williams of Loftus.

    The following season did bring some FA Cup success, however, as Boro advanced to the last 16 in 1884/85 before losing out to one of the giants of the time.

    They progressed to the 2nd Round for the first time by default when opponents Grimsby District withdrew. The first ever FA Cup victory came on 6 December 1884, when Newark were swept aside 4-1 on Teesside. It was another windy day in Middlesbrough, although sunny and mild, feeling more like April than December for the crowd of about 2000.

    Boro lost the toss and played against the wind in the first half this time but it didn't appear to hold them back as they raced into a 3-0 interval lead with goals from Borrie, Hardwick and Pringle. Pringle added the his second and Boro's fourth after the break before Newark pulled one back late on through the finely named Reverand Saunders.

    Boro - Dawkins, Wynn, Miller, Peel, Beckton, Pauls, Pickstock, Pringle, Borrie (Captain), Fox, Hardwick.

    Newark - Reckett, Wilson, Trickett, Smith, Stennett, Preston, Matthews, Huskinsson, Rev Saunders, Flowers, Morley.

    Umpires - F Hardisty and RC Preston    Referee - Mr J Williams of Loftus.


    In the Third Round Boro again progressed without playing, this time with a bye, which took them into the last 16, with a trip to the Oval to take on the giants of Old Etonians on 24 January 1885. The crowd was smaller than expected, which was put down to the fact that Boro were relatively unknown in the capital (no Middlesbrough Supporters South in those days?). Conditions were difficult, with a slippery surface after early frost, with the pitch hardening again as the teperature dropped in the later stages.

    The home side went ahead on ten minutes when Goodhart converted a Darbishire cross. Boro looked solid throughout the half but the game was scrappy with neither side impressing. However, Bore started the second half strongly, taking the game to their opponents and drawing level through Pringle. 

    The intention before the game was that it would last for an hour because of the constraints of Boro's journey and the early dusk of January (no floodlights, or floodcandles) but with the scores level after 60 minutes it was agreed that a further 30 minutes would be played. Boro duly took the lead through Borrie and a cup shock appeared to be on the cards. However, the goal seemed to rouse the home side, who quickly drew level when Marchant set up Chevallier (good Old Etonian sounding name). 

    Old Etonians were now on top and Marchant made it 3-2 after 75 minutes, scoring direct from a free kick. Ias 4-2 shortly afterwards, when Goodhart converted a Foley corner with his chest and Boro's cup hopes were well and truly over when Goodhart completed his hattrick just before the end to make the final score 5-2.

    Old Etonians - Rawlinson, French, de Paraviemi, Foley, Preston, Whitfield, Bainbridge, Goodhart, Darbishire, Marchant, Chevallier.

    Boro - Dawkins, Miller, Wynn, Kemp, Cochrane (Captain - presumably recovered from his sore balls), Pauls, Pringle, Thompson, Borrie, Fox, Ewbank.

    Umpires - F Hardisty and the Honourable AF Kinnaird    Referee - CW Alcock (Honorary Secretary of the FA). Their umpire and referee sound more impressive than Fred Hardisty and the Williams bloke from Loftus.

  3. Hi Erimus. I trust you are well.

    In the photo you've posted on the other forum (I'm not a member there, hence my reply here!) the date on the sign is correct except that the sign writer has got the year wrong. He's presumably forgotten that January is the start of a new year.

    It's one of a series of photos that were taken at Ayresome Park by a freelance photographer working for the Daily Mirror on Sunday 16 January 1972. The supporters are queueing for tickets for the FA Cup Third Round Replay against Manchester City, Boro having drawn at Maine Road the previous day. The happy days when a draw in the FA Cup on a Saturday would mean a replay on the Tuesday and not much time to sell tickets!

    • Like 1

  4. August 16th 1969

    Boro 2 Leicester City 1

    An impressive win for Boro against a Leicester City side that was widely expected to challenge for promotion. Boro took the initiative early on and never allowed the visitors to get a foothold in the game until some late jitters.

    John Hickton was particularly prominent, scoring one and denied a hat trick by two superb saves by Peter Shilton. The first came after 6 minutes when he tipped a header over the bar. Boro got the breakthrough on 24 minutes, when Laidlaw steered the ball just inside the post and Hickton fired just wide shortly before half time.

    Boro continued to dominate after the break and doubled their advantage after 47 minutes, a flowing three man move setting up Hickton to head home. He then had another shot tipped round the post by Shilton before Boro were denied a penalty on 73 minutes when a defender appeared to block a goal bound shot on the line with his arm.

    Against the run of play, Leicester pulled a goal back five minutes from time through Lochhead, setting up a nervous final few minutes, but overall Boro were very good value for the win.

    The points came at some cost, with Dave Chadwick and Alec Smith both likely to miss the Monday evening trip to Millwall after picking up knocks.

    Boro - Short, A. Smith, Jones, G. Smith, Gates, Spraggon, McMordie, Kear, Laidlaw, Hickton, Chadwick  Sub - Lugg

    Leicester City - Shilton, Rodrigues, Houghton, Nish, Sjoberg, Cross, Glover, Fern, Lochhead, Gibson, Manley  Sub - Roberts


    In the news - Prime Minister Harold Wilson interrupted his holiday in the Scilly Isles to fly back to London for discussions about a growing crisis in Northern Ireland after Ulster Premier Major James Chichester-Clark refused to accept any Catholics into his government, tension too in Asia after North Korea shot down a US helicopter, the longest surviving heart transplant patient died 20 months after his operation and police in the north east were hunting a group of vandals after several bowling greens were dug up.


    Top of the charts - Honky Tonk Women by the Rolling Stones.

  5. August 8th 1970

    Mansfield Town 3 Middlesbrough 0

    A 3-0 defeat to Third Division opposition might not sound like the ideal result a week before the start of the new season but this is a classic case of the scoreline only telling part of the story. This was actually Boro's second pre-season friendly within 24 hours and Friday evening had brought a wholly more encouraging 3-1 home win against Bill Shankley's First Division Liverpool.

    The star of the show under the Friday night lights was18 year old David Mills. Selected ahead of Derrick Downing he contributed two goals and an all round impressive performance. 

    Boro went ahead on 19 minutes. Hickton played a defence splitting pass through to Laidlaw who beat Liverpool keeper Lawrence at the near post. Liverpool's 40th minute equaliser came in controversial circumstances. Defender Larry Lloyd, who Liverpool had recently signed as a replacement for ageing Anfield hero Ron Yeats, appeared to handle in the box but as referee Pat Parteidge ignored Boro protests, Liverpool swept up the field and Smith and Hughes set up Bob Graham to score.

    Liverpool had plenty of possession in the second half but lacked a cutting edge, with their ponderous build up play allowing Boro to get men behind the ball but they did come close to scoring after 76 minutes, as the game turned in a way that atoned for Liverpool's equaliser. Peter Thompsom rattled the post at one end and as Hickton chased the long clearance he collided with the onrushing Liverpool keeper, with the ball running free to Mills for an easy finish.

    Boro wrapped up the win three minutes from time when Hickton crossed from the left for Mills to blast home, sending most of the 13120 crowd home happy (assuming all 13120 didn't immediately set off for Mansfield).

    So to Field Mill on Saturday and Boro's Friday exertions meant a game with several substitutions. The general feeling was that the 3-0 defeat showed that while Mills had shone against Liverpool, some of the other youngsters weren't quite ready to step up. In particular, after a goalless first half, Boro's defence looked much less secure after Whigham and Jones were replaced by Platt and Myton and they duly found themselves 3-0 down within 15 minutes of the restart. Sutton gave the Stags the lead, Roberts doubled the advantage and then Frank Spraggon put through his own net.

    Next up, 1970/71 season opener at Carlisle United with Hugh McIlmoyle in a race against injury to take his place.


    In the news - The North East was hit by its biggest earthquake for 40 years, Newcastle United were struggling to reach an agreement with their Newcastle City Council landlords and were facing the real possibility of having to leave St James' Park when their 90 year lease expired in the November, five people died at the Swedish Grand Prix when cars crashed into spectators and there was a dramatic gun battle on the Tyne Ferry (for a scene in the filming of Get Carter).

    Top of the charts - The Wonder of You by Elvis Presley. 

  6. August 7th 1976

    Boro 2 Hull City 0

    A comfortable start to Boro's defence of the Anglo Scottish Cup, despite this being their fourth game in five days after playing three friendlies in Finland during the week. Two 19 year olds starred for Boro. Ian Bailey looked composed at left back, while former Peterlee Grammar School boy Graeme Hedley created both goals and came close to scoring twice himself on his debut.

    Less encouraging was the news that Graham Souness had handed in a transfer request. Although it had been immediately turned down he was quoted as saying that he intended to see his desire to leave through to the very end, amid speculation that he already had his next club lined up. Of course, his move away from Ayresome Park never materialised and he went on to play a further 700 games for Boro, leading us to our European Cup Final success in 1984. (Ok, I made that up - he was indeed off to Liverpool).

    The game almost had a premature end as the referee stopped play in the first half and threatened to take the players off because someone was disrupting play by blowing a whistle on the Holgate End. After a loudspeaker appeal the phantom whistled desisted.

    Boro dominated the first half but were thwarted by missed chances and some fine saves by Hull keeper Jeff Wealands but they finally broke the deadlock on 64 minutes as wantaway Souness stabbed the ball home from close range. The lead was doubled six minutes later when Phil Boersma cracked home a spectacular first time shot. Next up in Boro's quest for back to back ASC triumphs - a midweek trip to Sheffield United.


    In the news - Prime Minister Jim Callaghan announced that struggling Britain may need to seek a further loan from the International Monetary Fund, there were riots in Soweto and Port Elizabeth in South Africa, 51 year old comedian Charlie Drake announced his engagement to an 18 year old can can dancer from his seaside show and a report suggested that changes to the climate may be causing Britain's summers to become warmer permanently (this was the long, hot, dry summer of 1976).

    Top of the charts - Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and Kiki Dee.



    • Like 1

  7. In the newspaper report  for this game the Boro team is given as:


    Williams, Woodham, Jones, Stiles. Spraggon, Boam, Downing, Mills, Hickton, Vincent, Laidlaw.  Subs - Gates, McMordie, Stone.

    Williams and Woodham mean nothing to me. I assume that Williams is a misprint and that it was actually Whigham (especially as David Mills is also referred to as Hills) but does anyone remember Woodham?


    Hibs' team was - Price, Brownlie, McKewan, Stanton, Black. Blackley, Stevenson, Hamilton, Baker, Cropley, Duncan.  Subs - Pringle, O'Rourke, Graham.

    A future Boro player in there!

  8. (Apologies to Erimus for referencing matches he's previously referred to - we haven't played on 7 August very often!)

    August 7th 1971

    Boro 4 Hibernian 2  (Yes, Erimus - Hibs again!)

    Boro looked in fine fettle a week ahead of the 1971/72 season as they swept aside Hibernian more comfortably than the scoreline suggests. New signings Stuart Boam and Nobby Stiles appeared to be settling in well. Boam bought more presence to the defence, albeit looking hesitant at times, while Stiles used his experience to control the game from the middle of the park before coming off at half time. He said that he had done so partly to give someone else a run out and partly to have a look at the team from a trainer's perspective and that having done so he had a feeling that it wouldn't be too long before he was playing at Old Trafford again. As it turned out, he was right, but only because Boro drew Manchester United in the FA Cup later in the season.


    Against Hibs, Boro were 4-0 up by the interval as Hibs' young goalkeeper, who was only playing because their new first choice keeper's international clearance papers hadn't arrived, was regularly left stranded by his statuesque defence. John Hickton helped himself to a hat trick and Joe Laidlaw chipped in with another.

    Hickton got the first after just two minutes with a glancing header from a free kick from wide on the left. It was 2-0 after five minutes after a goalmouth mix up allowed Laidlaw to score off the post. Laidlaw turned provider after 20 minutes, crossing from the right for Hickton to head home, and Big John completed his hat trick on 35 minutes with another simple header.

    Boro relaxed in the second half, allowing Hibs to make the score more respectable with two quick headed goals of their own. The first came from Joe Baker after 52 minutes, with second half substitute Hazel adding the second on 58 minutes. All in all though, a good performance by Boro. They now had a midweek friendly with Benfica to look forward to (which famously brought back together Stiles and Eusebio) and then it was all set for the opening league fixture at Portsmouth. (This is Boro we're talking about - you know what happened next).


    In the news - 2800 shipyard workers at Swan Hunter voted by just 45 votes to remain on strike after the latest pay offer fell 25p a week below their demands, two brothers were rescued off the North Sea coast after cutting the roof off their van and paddling out to sea on it (yes, really), the crew of Apollo 15 splashed down safely in the Pacific and three soldiers were shot during rioting in Belfast.

    Top of the charts - Get it On by T Rex.

    • Like 2

  9. August 6th 1977

    Wrexham 3 Boro 0

    A pre-season friendly defeat at the Racecourse Ground against manager John Neal's previous club.

    In an evenly contested first half the best player on the pitch appeared to be a Wrexham striker by the name of Billy Ashcroft, who Neal was keen should follow him to Ayresome Park. Ashcroft had refused to sign a new contract with Wrexham, saying that he was determined to play in the First Division and a move to Boro appeared to be imminent. He said before this friendly, though, that if selected he'd give 100%, not least in the hope of attracting interest from other First Division clubs to strengthen his position in contract talks. He put one shot narrowly wide and set up three good chances for colleagues in the first half before being withdrawn in the usual plethora of friendly substitutions.

    Boro faded badly in the second half, appearing to show the signs of a hard week ahead of the match. While Wrexham had been back in training for 3 weeks, Boro came into the game on the back of an intensive first week back at a training base in Aberystwyth. They'd then played Aberystwyth Town on the Friday evening before leaving their training base to travel to Wrexham early on the Saturday. Wrexham duly took control in the second half, with an opening goal from John Lyons followed by a double from Graham Whittle.

    Neal said after the match that it had been a good run out and that he wasn't too concerned by the result, which he attributed to defensive errors that wouldn't occur when his players regained their sharpness.

    And he was right. 1977/78 proved to be a glorious season for Boro as they swept to Wembley to lift the FA Cup for the first time in their history after that very man Billy Ashcroft fired them to a quarter final victory over Orien…...oh, hang on....


    In the news - England named an unchanged 12 for the second test against Australia which would begin ay Headingly on the Thursday as talk grew about whether Geoffrey Boycott could possibly make his 100th century in an Ashes test on his home ground (surely not - that kind of thing only happens in comics), it was estimated that the British shipbuilding industry would take a £2 billion boost from work connected with North Sea gas pipelines, security was being ramped up in Northern Ireland ahead of a Silver Jubilee visit by the Queen and a family was saved as fire swept through a block of flats in Washington (the Tyne and Wear one) by their squawking budgie.

    Top of the charts - I Feel Love by Donna Summer.

  10. Morning Erimus.

    I have wondered about the Hibs thing myself and I've no idea why we always seemed to play them. Maybe just because it was a good base for a mini tour of Scotland - we had a number of games against Hearts too.

    We were playing friendlies against Hibs as long ago as 1903 and one of them led to us signing Bobby Atherton, who became the first Boro player to play international football (for Wales) before dying in 1917 when his ship sank while serving in the Merchant Navy during the First World War.

  11. August 5th 1967

    Sunderland 1 Boro 0

    An encouraging performance by Boro in their first pre-season friendly ahead of their return to Division 2 after promotion, despite a narrow defeat to their First Division neighbours at Roker Park. Boro, playing all in white against a Sunderland team all in red, played the more open football in the first half, looking to exploit the lack of pace of Sunderland's ageing star Jim Baxter.

    Boro faded after the break, however, with injuries seeming to disrupt their rhythm. Goalkeeper Willie Whigham was taken off at half time with a shoulder injury which X rays showed to be no worse than bruising and Dave Chadwick was withdrawn as a precaution after picking up a slight knock.

    The only goal came from a flowing move by Sunderland after 65 minutes. Neil Martin brought the ball out of defence and played a long Crossfield ball to George Kinnell before continuing his run to meet Kinnell's 30 yard cross at the far post and score with a bullet header. Nevertheless, a performance that suggested that Boro could look forward to better times in the second tier.


    Sunderland - Montgomery, Irwin, Parke, Todd, Kinnell, Baxter, Herd, Suggett, Martin, Harvey, Heslop (Mulhall)

    Boro - Whigham (McPartland), Butler, Jones, Masson, Rooks, Horner, Chadwick (McNeill), Hickton, O'Rourke, Lugg, Downing


    In the news - The National Coal Board held a crisis meeting to decide whether chairman Lord Robens should keep his job in the aftermath of the Aberfan disaster, England made six changes ahead of the second test against Pakistan at Trent Bridge having drawn the first test, tensions were rising in Cuba where the United States was accused of landing a group of counter revolutionaries on the island with the aim of overthrowing Fidel Castro and there was tension too in the ATV television studios where a 15 foot python escaped its handler during the filming of the Dave Allen Show and disappeared into the audience.

    Top of the Charts - All You Need is Love by the Beatles.

  12. August 4th 1979

    Boro 2 China 0

    International football of a sort at Ayresome Park and England manager Ron Greenwood was in the directors' box, sparking hopes that some of Boro's young talent might be on the verge of international recognition. It was a comfortable win for Boro despite the fact that China's catchment area was slightly bigger than Teesside. David Armstrong converted a penalty after 18 minutes after Tony McAndrew was bought down in the box and Stan Cummings crossed for Billy Ashcroft to head home the second in the 65th minute.

    Irving Nattrass had a subdued debut for Boro before going off with a sore heal 15 minutes from time but John Neal sang his praises after the match, talking about his quality and describing him as "like an oil well - largely untapped".


    In the news - Britain agreed to supervise elections and help with the writing of a constitution in Rhodesia ahead of independence, there was a thrilling finish to the Formula Four race at Croft with the first four cars separated by only a second, new rules linking the duty on cider to that on wine threatened to double the price of a pint to 73p and 20 North East 14 to 16 year olds were stranded in the early hours after the Knebworth Music Festival after the coach on a trip organised by Tyne Tees Television left without them by mistake (the coach driver probably thought they were Sunderland fans and assumed they'd left at half time).

    Top of the charts - I Don't Like Mondays by the Boomtown Rats.

    • Like 1

  13. August 3rd 1974

    Boro 0 Carlisle United 1

    A dull and disappointing Texaco Cup game between two teams who were both contemplating life in the First Division after being promoted together a few weeks earlier. In fact they'd meet twice in the top flight in the next fortnight or so.

    Boro became frustrated after several early saves by Carlisle keeper Alan Ross and too often resorted to long balls that the visitors' tall defenders dealt with comfortably.  It was former Boro favourite Hugh McIlmoyle who created the only goal, setting up Martin to fire home after 50 minutes. All in all a bad day at the office for Boro, with Jack Charlton saying after the game that he'd seen his team work harder in practice matches.

    In the news - The Tories criticised Labour's manifesto pledge to follow a policy of nationalisation ahead of the forthcoming election, housewives were warned (in a possibly sexist way) that eggs could cost £1.50 a dozen by 1975, Richard Nixon prepared to give a TV address as impeachment loomed in the Watergate affair and three north east lads were arrested in Spain for singing loudly at 2am and fined £1 each (equivalent to 8 eggs, or a decent Spanish omelette).

    Top of the charts - Rock Your Baby by George McCrae.

    • Like 1

  14. Alf Duffield was back in the North East the following morning to play for his over 40s Sunday league team.


    I have the Radio Cleveland commentary on the game (sad, I know). I think that someone else has also already uploaded it to YouTube.

    • Like 2

  15. As I left this game there was a police woman watching the fans out of one of the first floor windows of Shrewsbury's offices and a burly Boro fan beside shouted up to her "We'll be back at Gay Meadow on the last day next year love, but then it'll be about PROMOTION!!!!".


    He was half right.

    • Like 1

  16. August 2nd 1969

    Burnley  1 Boro  1


    Boro made the shortish trip to Turf Moor on this day 51 years ago to take on 1st Division Burnley in their final friendly ahead of the 1969/70 season. They were under heavy pressure throughout much of the first half and fell behind on 8 minutes when future Wolves star Steve Kindon fired home. It was then a case of Boro digging in and staying in the game and they applied themselves well before snatching an equaliser shortly before the break. The brilliant Eric McMordie crossed for Joe Laidlaw to score with a first time shot. The game was more even in the second half, with Boro playing some good open football and they could have won it right at the end when Ray Lugg had a shot brilliantly saved by the Burnley keeper. All in all an encouraging afternoon for Boro, who looked solid against decent opponents.

    In the news - President Nixon met Harold Wilson on a state visit to the UK, violence flared in Belfast on the Saturday night, Belgian Jackie Ickx won the German Grand Prix after a close tussle with Jackie Stewart and there was a major operation to rescue some 12 year old boys from Billingham who had become trapped on a ledge at Blackhall Rocks.

    Top of the charts - Honky Tonk Women by the Rolling Stones.



    August 2nd 1975

    Boro 3 Sunderland 2


    The crowd of 13000 was the best of the day in the Anglo Scottish Cup. Most of the pre match talk was about the return of Sunderland's FA Cup hero Ian Porterfield after a career threatening car crash. Boro's win was more comfortable than the scoreline suggests. They looked the better side throughout, albeit looking vulnerable on the break. After a goalless first half Boro took control with two quick goals after the interval from Souness and Craggs. Tommy Gibb pulled one back but Boro sealed the win ten minutes from time when Murdoch slotted home despite Porterfield's efforts to clear on the line. There was still time for Sunderland to pull another back. Boam brought Porterfield down in the area and Longhorn converted the penalty. 18 year old Ian Bailey impressed on his first team debut at left back for Boro.

    In the news - 180 people died in an air crash in Morocco, there was sadness when the body of an 11 year old boy who had been missing for a fortnight was found on Wearside, apparently due to a glue sniffing tragedy, there were early signs of trouble to come for Labour as the party admitted it was powerless to stop a Militant plot to wreck the Government's #6 a week pay limit plan and there was a new break out of violence in Ulster.

    Top of the charts - Give a Little Love by the Bay City Rollers.



    August 2nd 1986


    There was no pre season friendly for Boro on this day 34 years ago today, despite it being a Saturday, for the simple reason that the club no longer existed, having been wound up in the High Court during the week. Bruce Rioch had been dismissed with the rest of the non playing staff but had agreed to continue to take training with the young squad if a venue could be found and they were allowed access to Ayresome Park to recover their kit and equipment, negotiations about which were continuing with the Official Receiver.

    In the news - talks began amongst Commonwealth heads of state over sanctions against South Africa, The Fridge came to the fore on a warm Summer evening as the Chicago Bears beat the Dallas Cowboys at Wembley, rockets were fired at the British airbase at Akrotiri in Cyprus and the Duke and Duchess of York returned from Honeymoon.

    Top of the charts - The Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh.

    • Like 3

  17. Thanks all.

    One thing I do remember about Stiles is that he's the only Boro player I remember who folded over the waistband of his shorts. It produced a sort of early version of the white chest band, but a bit too low.

    Today is a future pub quiz question by the way. A day when there are matches in England and Scotland on the same day but in different seasons.



    • Like 2
  • Create New...