Riverside Stadium

30 September 2014

K/O 19:45

[/align]

Stats and figures:

Boro: LWWWD

Blackpool: LDLDL

Top scorers:

Boro - Leadbitter 7 (6 in league), Kike 5 (4 in league), Bamford 2 (1 in league)

Blackpool - Delfouneso 2, Cywka 1, Ranger (boooo) 1

Injuries and suspensions

Boro: Suspended - Whitehead, Adomah

Injured - Williams, Carayol, Abella, Vossen, Woodgate

Blackpool: Suspended - N/A

Injured - Rentmeister, Grant, MacKenzie, Davies

Welcome to the match thread for Boro vs. Blackpool, my first attempt at a match day thread. I must apologise for this going up so late, I had faith that Boro could continue their fine form in the league until I came back from holiday. However, a decent point against unbeaten Charlton after battling with Liverpool for over two hours helped to maintain the team's positive recent form.

Blackpool come to the Riverside in as good form as any team who had gone through their pre-season could expect to be in. Rooted to the bottom, surprisingly (or not) only 2 points off 23rd placed Fulham, the chances of Blackpool coming away with victory seem slim. However, recent draws against Wolves and Brighton suggest that Jose Riga, the man who seemingly has nothing going for him at the minute, is starting to instill some type of discipline into a team predominately made up of free transfers. Indeed, the club added to their squad this week, with former ***nal and Celtic winger Andre Blackman and Formose Mendy, form(ose)erly of Sporting Gijon, joining this week.

However, this should be a game Boro can grab by the scuff of the neck. With the defence looking a lot more solid with Dimi in goal, Leadbitter and Clayton working hard in midfield, and goals up front, Boro should have more than enough for Blackpool. However, no game in the Championship is easy (I will happily concede that point in the event of an 8-0 win), and Boro will be looking to the Brentford game to provide inspiration for more goals in front of the Riverside faithful.

Talking Points

1. Score predictions and who will have the most impact

2. Is there any hope for Blackpool, this game or indeed this season?

3. Who comes in for the suspended Adomah?

4. 4-2-3-1? 4-3-3? 4-2-2-2? 4-0-2-4?

5. Trivia time: What world beating object is Blackpool home to?

CONFIRMED TEAM:

--------------Dimi--------------

Freddy--Ayala--Gibson--Husband

-------Leadbitter--Clayton------

Ledesma------Tomlin------Reach

-------------Bamford-----------

Bench: Blackman, Friend, Morris, Omeruo, Wildschut, Nsue, Kike.

BLACKPOOL TEAM:

Lewis, McMahon, Rentmeister, Daniels, J Oriol, Perkins, Cubero, Orlandi, E Oriol, Delfouneso, Miller

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to argue with that team, McTom, although personally I have a feeling that Gibson will start and Kenny might be sub. I suppose Wildschut would be the only other one who may start, having been eased in over the last 2 games. I also, as I said when I guessed my Charlton team, wouldn't be surprised to see Husband come in one of the next two games, as Friend is the only player (I think) to play every minute in the league so far, and 120 at Liverpool too. I think Ledesma might get on as well, though not from the start. I can see Morris being a***st the subs, but I'd be surprised to see Williams, with Bamford, Wildschut and Ledesma all offering alternative attacking impetus from the bench.

A bit jittery about this one, as it is such a 'must win', even a scrappy 1-0 might be seen as a disappointing result (don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely take it). That being said, I think we have too much about us for them, and spurred on by 18,000 (optimistic), I am going to say 3-0 - Kike brace and a late Ledesma goal.

Neither Morris or Williams are playing for the u21's tonight, so I'm expecting they'll be involved.

Or they're about to go on loan

I think Williams will probably go out on loan. I've heard some glowing reports of Morris playing in a deep holding midfield role in the past few weeks do it would surprise me if he is sent out on loan, maybe even get a start against Blackpool to give him a chance to prove himself. Although it would be incredibly harsh on Clayton or Leadbitter to drop either of them, both have been brilliant so far this season.

Neither Morris or Williams are playing for the u21's tonight, so I'm expecting they'll be involved.

Or they're about to go on loan

I think Williams will probably go out on loan. I've heard some glowing reports of Morris playing in a deep holding midfield role in the past few weeks do it would surprise me if he is sent out on loan, maybe even get a start against Blackpool to give him a chance to prove himself. Although it would be incredibly harsh on Clayton or Leadbitter to drop either of them, both have been brilliant so far this season.

I do think with AK, players rarely get 'dropped', more rested. I'm not saying he never drops players (Carayol earlier in the year being the most obvious example), but I think with his current crop playing well, players like Clayton may just sit the odd game out, in order to save their legs

Would definitely like to see two up top and Friend rested...

------------------ Dimi ------------------

-------- Omeruo - Ayala/Gibson --------

Freddy -------------------------- Husband

---------- Leadbitter - Clayton ----------

--- Nsue ----------------------- Reach ---

------------- Bamford - Kike -------------

+ Blackman, Gibson/Ayala, Friend, Morris, Tomlin, Ledesma/Williams/Halliday, Wildschut.

Think we'll be on the front foot throughout but might find it tough to find the break through at first. But confident of the win.

3-0 [bamford 39' & 56', Kike 60'].

------------------ Dimi ------------------

-------- Ayala----------- - Gibson --------

Freddy -------------------------- Husband

---------- Leadbitter - Clayton ----------

--- Nsue ----------------------- Wildschut ---

------------- Bamford/Ledesma - Kike -------------

---------------Dimi------------------

-Fredericks-Ayala-Omeruo-Friend-

--------Leadbitter-Clayton---------

-Nsue---------Tomlin--------Reach-

------------------Kike----------------

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Ledesma come into the side for someone, maybe Reach, then switch the 3 around a bit. If Clayton or Leadbitter are carrying an injury/tiredness then our only other alternative will be to start Bryn Morris, or at least to come off the bench if we're comfortable in the later stages, in order to keep them in a good condition for Fulham on Saturday.

Hope to see Gibson back in the team for this one, will probably rest Omerou with him having to go off in the Charlton game. hopefully we will go back to our normal system for this one with 2 proper CMs.

-------------Dimi-------------

Freddy--gibbo--ayala--friend

------Clayton--Leadbitter---

Nsue------Tomlin-----Reach

------------Kike-------------

Will be a tough game but one that we should comfortably win. 3-1 Boro (Kike x3)