[align=center]Details

Teams – Middlesbrough V Brighton

Location – The Riverside Stadium

Competition – The Championship

Date – Sat 2nd May 2015

Kick off – 12:15

Referee – One who takes pity on us hopefully [/align]

WARNING, THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST INTRODUCTION TO A MATCH DAY THREAD EVER:

Welcome to Boro v Brighton, the biggest anti-climax since this introduction.

Odds

from William Hill:

Boro (1.33) Draw (4.50) Brighton (8.50)

The Last (league) Games

Boro:

Fulham 4 - 3 Boro

In an exciting game, Middlesbrough faced early apathy, mid-game dejection, late-to-mid-game elation, and post-game resignation in a match that had it all.

Fulham, in their ‘newcastle-strips-that-have-been-put-through-the-washer-one-too-many-times’ went ahead on the verge of half time with on offside goal from Norwich’s Michael Turner. The referee unfortunately didn’t spot that the goal was offside due to the poor camera angle. Dross McCormack scored two penalties either side of a Reach goal to put Fulham 3-1 up. The spirit of Steaua was ignited in the Brave Boro boys, who pulled the score back to 3-3, with quality headers from Kike and Danayalala. However unfortunately, the spirit of hari-kiri was ignited in Karanka who decided that Dimi should re-enact the charge of the light brigade in injury time, which allowed Dross to get his hat-trick and in doing so, fully justifying the £11m that Fulham spent on him...

Brighton:

Brighton 0 – 2 Watford

Watford clinched a victory and promotion to the promised land after the seagulls (understandably) failed to win the metaphorical butt of antlers with the moose. Troy ‘I look like the ‘after’ picture on a ‘meth, not even once’ poster campaign’ Deeney and Matej ‘the Scandinavian Connor Ripley’ Vydra got the two decisive goals in the game. Brighton got the ball into good areas at times, but rarely looked like troubling Watford’s clean sheet.

Graph exploring the number of people who have suddenly realised that they already had plans on Saturday and therefore cannot make it to the game

brightongraph_zpsccx5k8su.jpg

Injury/Availability News

Boro:

:)    -The ginger messi Luke Williams is back at the club, just in time to fire us to promotion!

:(    - Despite their namesakiness, George Friend did not make friends with Mr Friend the referee, instead he became acquainted with a red card and misses this game.

-          Rhys Williams remains in his dam, feeling sorry for himself as all his beaver friends go off out to play football.

-          Danny Graha… Wait, Google, why have you still got Danny Graham in our squad list?!

Brighton:

:( - Mustaphapooonyourhead ‘the seagull’ Carayolyourchipsaway has returned from his brief loan stint at Brighton and will therefore be unavailable for them.

Form (League only)

Most recent results last.

Boro (Home): WWWWWW

Brighton (Away): LLDWLL

The Un(ger)-Official Match Preview

Always look on the brighton side of life, doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo…

Boro fans will be understandably deflated by the last week’s results. However it is a sign of how far the club has come in the past season that we as fans are disappointed with finishing in the play offs! Let’s make this game a celebration of the season and give the lads a good send off into the playoffs!

After watching Brighton’s last game v Watford, I think Boro have enough in our ***nal to beat them convincingly, especially when you take into account our scintillating home form of late. Our defence should have little problem nullifying their blunt attack – recently weakened further by the loss of Carayol I can see a 3-0 win, with goals from Kike (x2) and Forshaw.

The View From The Other Side

From: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?321851-team-for-Middlesbrough

- "Not really bothered either way. Just get up there, turn in a proud decent performance whoever it is on the pitch, get home and draw a thick line underneath this wretched season."

- "If Bournemouth get promotion tonight this is pretty much a friendly for Middlesbrough, so we can play some of the Dev Squad."

-  "If 'Mufff go up tonight then 'Boro may well be tempted to rest a few for the imminent play-offs anyway. Might be youngsters on both sides!

-  "Play the laddies team at least they will score" (not sure whether they meant laddies or ladies by this?!)

The Boro-unger multi copyright-infringing motivational speech poem of the week!

Roar, and the stadium roars with you;

Weep, and you weep alone;

For the sad old riverside must borrow its pride,

But has trouble enough of its own.

Sing, and the Eston hills will answer;

Sigh, it is lost in the smog;

The echoes bound round a joyful ground,

And are noted in the journalist's blog.

Play well, and men will seek you;

Stumble, and they turn and go;

They want to see your tactics put into practice, 

And they do not want to see you slow.

Be glad that your fans are many;

Be bad, and you'll lose them all,

There'll be many round the Tees, on bended knees,

But you alone must kick life's ball.

Score, and the stands are bouncing;

Concede, and they start to cry.

Aim to win in the final, against your most bitter rival,

But no man can help you in this tie.

There isn't much room in the premiership halls, 

And the season may well end in vain,

But one by one we must all file on,

Through the narrow turnstiles of pain.

Talking Points

-                      Are we going to rest any players due to the fact that we are guaranteed a play off place or are we going to go full fat?

-                      Will it be a Norvern Youf team V a Suvern Youf team?

-                      Should Karanka allow Dimi to play a rush-keeper role in this game?

-                      Who’s going to play left back?

-                      How come Bournemouth are so awesome?

-                      How many times are we going to hear the phrase: “and they did it… playing superb football”?...

-                      You do know it’s not poo you get on your head at the seaside right?!...

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Play the kids. Win 19-0. Get deducted three points by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute.

I would imagine Gibbo or that Spanish/Venezuelan/Basque lad at LB.

I think what screws us is that because there is no clear indication of how will finish 6th - it might be favourable to let Norwich finish 3rd. We could end up 4th and get Brentford but finish 3rd and get Wolves. :-/

Play the kids. Win 19-0. Get deducted three points by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute.

I would imagine Gibbo or that Spanish/Venezuelan/Basque lad at LB.

I think what screws us is that because there is no clear indication of how will finish 6th - it might be favourable to let Norwich finish 3rd. We could end up 4th and get Brentford but finish 3rd and get Wolves. :-/

Is that a joke, or are you advocating  that we do a bit of cheating?

A highly risky ploy imo.

It is going to be a bit difficult for Karanka to put out a vastly weakened team in front of a sell out crowd, if they all turn up that is. We also must remember that we need momentum going into the play offs so a good win over Brighton on Sat might be needed. Leave out the injured players, (Bamford and Adomah looked about 50% on Sat) and set the pattern for the semi.

Play a strong team, but don't play ANY players who are carrying niggles. We still need to take this game seriously, go into the playoffs on the back of a win and wrap up third.

Are we going to rest any players due to the fact that we are guaranteed a play off place or are we going to go full fat? Imo give Ledesma a chance to earn a place for the Play-Offs, give Ripley a game and then the rest almost the same.

Will it be a Norvern Youf team V a Suvern Youf team? Wouldn't mind a few youngsters a chance.

Should Karanka allow Dimi to play a rush-keeper role in this game? Striker.

Who’s going to play left back? Amorebieta

How come Bournemouth are so awesome? Must be that little Irish diver in center-mid and the flimsy Striker. 

How many times are we going to hear the phrase: “and they did it… playing superb football”?... 95 more for each goal they've scored.

You do know it’s not poo you get on your head at the seaside right?!... That seagull up there has shown me different so now I know. Wondered why it was salty :blush:

We'll just put Dimi upfront for the last 15 minutes.

Hope the team are taking this match more seriously than you.

It's going to be a long 3 weeks :P

We should play Tony Mowbray's grandchild in nets if Dimi is going up front

just realised that my £50 each way bet on the Boro to win the Championship at 14/1 pays out for the top 3, so if we win against Brighton I'll win £225 , so if anyone says there's nothing riding on this match, think again ( I don't want to think what could have been if we'd come 1st £925) I'll be just happy we're still in with a chance, Cmon Boro don't let me down ( this time )

The game still has some significance as it will have an effect on who we get into the play offs so I think we should select the strongest team available, but with in mind what style we're going to play in the play offs as our attacking players have switched positions regularly. With Friend being suspended I wouldn't be surprised to see Reach start at LW in order to provide width as I don't think Tomlin will have much effect at LW with Amorebieta at LB. Forshaw has impressed in recent weeks so I would like to see him start in #10 role but I don't think he will start. I think we will start with:

Dimi; Fredericks, Ayala, Gibson, Amorebieta; Clayton, Leadbitter; Adomah, Tomlin, Reach; Bamford.