oneBoro Forum

FM16 Do It Better - Aston Villa

For any of you who are, like me, now waiting for the new FM and not as addicted to my long term saves as I was once, a "fun" challenge for those who want to do something different. The very simple premise of simply doing better with a team than they did in real life (using the original database). 

First Challenge: Aston Villa - Aim: Avoid Relegation

Pre Jan update:

Transfers:

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-07%20at%2012.02.07_zpsazaopntj.png

Starting with a transfer budget of £0 is not exactly what you want and with a squad that needs serious overhaul, I sold as many players as I could to raise funds and free up wage space; valuing selling players over getting a little bit more money from each sale. There weren't many cheap and decent options available to Villa so I ended up raiding Boro for Gibson and Friend. I really needed another CM but I couldn't agree a favourable deal for anyone who would improve the starting XI. Something to be looked into in Jan (if i get given more money that is as i've run out of players to sell...)!

Results:

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-07%20at%2014.08.31_zpsalnu5coe.png

Overall, our results have been much better than I expected. However, there are far too many games that we've been on top (or at least on par) in that we've ended up losing. 

League Table:

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-07%20at%2014.06.45_zpsu3w8pdz8.png

At the half way stage, we sit in 8th. Nothing one can really complain about there! However, the table is very tight and a few bad results could see a slide down the table begin.

Just finished this Atokous, took me five/six years to win the Champs League/Prem. There's your benchmark haha.

Had a little help with a takeover middle of first season though so I could spend in January

Haha Brunners, exactly where I got the idea from :p

@OMG: I was only intending on doing the first season but I'm quite enjoying the save so far so may go with it. Managing to ship out older worse players and bring in better younger alternatives quite well I think (wait for Jan update to come which I'm currently mid way through!) Got a takeover in November as well but only from a local consortium so no massive money to spend irritatingly.

I'm a bit out of the loop re latest games/technology, but...

Is there a football management online game whereby each of the 92 teams has a human manager, and fixtures are played in real time, over 9 months?

If there isn't, there should be!

Righteo, this was my first season...

Transfers:

90yurb.png

Loans:

rtnx51.png

Best Eleven:

63zyir.png

Final standings:

2h8alwn.png

Messed up playing 4-2-3-1 in the first season, no holding mids meant my defence was left woefully unguarded, only just managed to survive on the last day! I rectified it in later seasons and started to climb by playing a 4-3-3, but since this is a one season challenge I wont bore you :D (Unless you fancy a look)

As you can tell by some of my transfers in January, I was preparing for life in the Championship! Buying younger players from the Belgian leagues for cheap haha

I'm unaware of Dr Benjy, what's all that about? Random FM challenges?

He's a youtuber/twitch streamer that plays FM. 

He does a few different things, he does long tail saves in which you go with him on a journey over years developing a team. He's got a finished one that was called "Parma Drama" that I believe was FM15 (I think) his FM16 one is called "The Salford Story". It's actually really good to follow along.

He also does smaller challenges like this Do It Better. He's doing Valencia from the point G Nevs took over next. He's also doing a fantasy draft of Euro 2016 teams against another youtuber WorkTheSpace at the minute too.

He's genuinely a really nice guy, he's been around on youtube for years, I used to watch him when he was just a vlogger, IIRC. Linky

I'm a bit out of the loop re latest games/technology, but...

Is there a football management online game whereby each of the 92 teams has a human manager, and fixtures are played in real time, over 9 months? 

If there isn't, there should be!

Not that I'm aware of.

There are ones out there where each team in the league has a human manager, but the teams & players are all fakes.

Can't remember exactly how often games were played, but the one I used to play was a lot of fun at the time.

This was it Xpert 11.

Jesus OMG, I thought i'd shaken things up with my transfers. You've gone full on revamp!

This is my strongest starting XI:

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-08%20at%2011.07.21_zpscnhu60xr.png

I'm intrigued as to your process! See how your squad developed, looks like you made some good young buys (Lozano, Iorfa etc.). You also got some players a lot cheaper than i could negociate them down to.

Jesus OMG, I thought i'd shaken things up with my transfers. You've gone full on revamp!

This is my strongest starting XI:

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-08%20at%2011.07.21_zpscnhu60xr.png

I'm intrigued as to your process! See how your squad developed, looks like you made some good young buys (Lozano, Iorfa etc.). You also got some players a lot cheaper than i could negociate them down to.

Haha, to be honest it was my second attempt, I tried keeping it light first time round and failed so I just put every single player up for sale when I started the second time.

There's a few players worth keeping hold of for a season or two at least, Gueye, Okore, Adama Traore, Veretout etc.

I put clauses in my transfers too to get around having no money for the first season, so those figures aren't exactly gospel mate.

Edit. Just noticed Cubas in your DM position, funnily enough bought him myself in 17/18 season, turned into a great player for me

I'd have preferred to revamp the midfield more but I just couldn't raise enough money... I even got offered a contract extension just before Jan and asked for more wages (wasn't allowed for more transfer so just moved the wage budget across) but still can't find the target worth spending money on who will improve the starting XI. Sitting on around 7m at the moment which i'm pretty happy with though, upping those finances!

I prefer to stay away from clauses as I reckon just paying the money and being done with it helps you in FM but considering at the start I was only intending to play for a season, the clauses would probably have been the better way to go :p

My thinking was with TV money coming in second season, survival meant a much bigger pot and clauses wouldn't have bothered me as much. I'd have been destitute had I gone down though haha