oneBoro Forum

Boro v Leeds United (A) 1-2 (Assombalonga (pen))

BeardySmog Matchday Solutions

Presents

Leeds vs Middlesbrough

Kick Off - 1.15pm

Elland Road

19th November 2017

Intro

Three wins in a row at the perfect time has seen us catapulted back into the promotion picture and lifted spirits on Teesside (and wherever in the world you all reside). Next up is a visit to our friends down the road in Yorkshire, Leeds. Like Sunderland they are on a bit of a dire run. But unlike the mackems they are suffering after a pretty stellar start to the season so this game is far from an easy one. Defeat for Leeds would surely spell the end for their manager especially as it would be at the hands of the snake-god.

Last Game

BORO 1-0 Sunderland

Far from pretty but ultimately satisfying win for us in front of the Sky cameras. A first league goal for young Tavernier and another sparkling performance from Mr Braithwaite has given us hope of a bright future..

Brentford 3-1 Leeds United

Leeds' miserable run continued on a night that will be mainly remembered for some absolute howlers from both goalkeepers rather than the result which saw the Bees overcome  the boys in white. Will this awful run continue. I hope so..

Oh.. He used to play for us...

None of them did. This must be because Leeds is a big club and wouldn't stoop as low to have any former Boro players in their ranks right?

Beard Watch

I hate to say it but there are a couple of pretty nice beards on show, but my favourite has to be Staurt Dallas, proper beard that.

The tip of the Beard

Leeds 19/10

Draw 11/5

Middlesbrough 6/4

Another close one with the bookies our away form and their poor run has us maybe edging it.

My BeardyBet tip this week is a Boro win and both teams to score which you can get at 9/2.

Pre Match Questions?

Who replaces the suspended Cyrus Christie at right back? Roberts? Fabio?

Who do you see as their dangerman?

How long before an inflatable snake is spotted in the crowd?

Score prediction?

Where in the world will you be watching the match? (imaginary prize for the most exotic)

Prediction

I'm genuinely scared to predict another win but I'm going to.. 2-1 Boro, Braithwaite double with a Lasogga consolation. COME ON BORO

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Fabio should be brought in at right-back, for sure. Friend didn't have the greatest of games against Sunderland but I really felt that he improved in the second half. Rather than shift 2 full-backs out of the team to take Friend out again, I'd keep him in and pick between Fabio or Roberts to come in on the right, so Fabio for me.

Tricky players are Saiz and Alioski but I'm going to go for Ronaldo Vieira. If we maintain the defensive form we've shown in the last 3 games, Lasogga won't be getting much luck. Leeds' best chance against this defence should be from outside the box and I think Vieira could be that man.

Pre-match.

Score prediction?

Tricky one, this. 3 points would be great but I think we'll battle to a point similarly to how we did last time we were at Elland Road. 0-0 for me.

Where in the world will you be watching the match? (imaginary prize for the most exotic)

In the living room of a semi-detached in Sunderland. Might as well stop the imaginary competition now, guys and girls.

Been quite impressed with Roberts composure in that position, but illness apart think Fabio will get the nod, purely for his attacking ability proven (not to say Roberts cannot power up n down that right hand side)

Saiz seems to the Leeds fans golden boy, but have to admit havent seen much of Leeds play this season.  Phillips has chipped in with a few good goals so may be a player to keep an eye on

Agree pre-match while there full of pre-match booze, it will disappear if they go behind and the away end will echo Elland Road with the sound "your getting sacked in the morning" :P cant wait

Score prediction?

If Braithwaite doesnt get injured for Denmark (fingers n toes crossed) and Christie n Rands come away unscathed i think Monk will look to win this and cannot see a reason why it isnt possible

Leeds look depleted. whether thats TC losing the dressing room or the 100mph they came out the blocks at the beginning of the season i dont know, but they dont look a team.

The higgled piggledy stadium that is Elland Road. Always reminds me that its made of 3 different stadiums  :)

Who replaces the suspended Cyrus Christie at right back? Roberts deserves his chance he is calm, composed and solid in the games where i have seen him, which is what we will need in a game where some of the fans and players will consider it a derby. The other thing is in my opinion the only thing keeping him out of the squad was Christies form so give him a go.

Who do you see as their dangerman? Saiz from what ive seen from highlights and live games ive seen seems to be a decent player.

How long before an inflatable snake is spotted in the crowd? During warm up

Score prediction? 1-1

Where in the world will you be watching the match? In sunny and warm Barnard Castle

Ok so my team would be -

.................................Randolph....................................

Roberts..........Ayala.........Gibson............Friend/Fabio

.......................Leadbitter...Howson..............................

Downing....................Braithwaite..................Tavernier

....................................Britt...............................................

Bench - Dimi, Friend/Fabio, Fry, Clayton, Bamford, Baker and Fletcher

Nice one Beardy - hope the run continues!

------------------ Randolph ------------------

--- Fabio -- Ayala --- Gibson -- Friend ---

--------- Leadbitter ------ Howson --------- 

- Downing -- Braithwaite -- Tavernier -

-------------- Assombalonga --------------

Good intro Beardy. Long may that continue.

Fabio for me. Has got much more experience than Roberts which will be important. Iv'e been impressed with Roberts in the cup, but those were games without real pressure which is totally different to a league game at Elland Road. 

Saiz. I think Gibson/Ayala have it in them to keep Lasogga under wraps. Iv'e been very impressed by Saiz and must be one of Ortas best gambles during his time in England.

Pre match.

Score prediction? 

0-1. I think we have it in us to keep them from scoring and then nick a point. It will be a scrappy game like the Sunderland match.

Where in the world will you be watching the match? (imaginary prize for the most exotic). 

From my couch in Sabro. Doesn't get more exotic than that!

Let's hope the two Irish boys and Braithwaite don't pick up injuries tomorrow night, this will be a tough game, they always are against Leeds, I'd be happy with a draw but a win would be immense.

C'mon Boro!

Massive game this. 3 points would make people start to believe that we might still be able to mount a charge for automatic promotion, and that goes for players as well as fans. It also tells us a lot about how Monk reacts when his cage is rattled.

Defeat wouldn't be the disaster it would have been in the Sunderland game, but would be a setback.

Leeds just seem to have our number, season in, season out. That 3-0 win two years ago sticks out like a sore thumb, but even that came with a fair old dollop of luck. I think this will be a tough one, but I think we'll get a point out of it. 1-1.

2-0 defeat

I have a bad feeling about this one. Elland Road will be buzzing and Leeds play best in that kind of atmosphere. Back down to Earth with a bump for Boro.

Do they? Do you think they will suddenly perform better than the last 7 games where they've lost 6 of them? I think we've got a few players that are really relishing such an atmosphere; Gibson, Leadbitter, Braithwaite and then a cool head in Downing and a young up and coming Tavernier who will want to cement his place after scoring his first league goal. Think this will be a cracker and I don't think we will lose.

Leeds is always a bit different. I tend to ignore the form going into this game, especially at Elland Road.

I think in the grand scheme of things, looking at the fact we have two home games to come following this and how we need to improve at home a lot more, a point at Leeds shouldn't be something we should be too discouraged by. In terms of our points gained away from home per game, a draw leaves us about 0.12 off our away points gained in our promotion season. A win would put us quite a bit above it.

2-0 defeat

I have a bad feeling about this one. Elland Road will be buzzing and Leeds play best in that kind of atmosphere. Back down to Earth with a bump for Boro.

Do they? Do you think they will suddenly perform better than the last 7 games where they've lost 6 of them? I think we've got a few players that are really relishing such an atmosphere; Gibson, Leadbitter, Braithwaite and then a cool head in Downing and a young up and coming Tavernier who will want to cement his place after scoring his first league goal. Think this will be a cracker and I don't think we will lose.

Yes and yes. There's nothing like a game with an edge to rouse a team out of bad form.

I wouldn't be disappointed with a draw at Leeds, however they have lost 6 of their last 7 games so we should have every incentive of attacking them because if they go behind everything they've worked on in this break goes out the window and it's back to the same old losing habit. We need to go out guns blazing and make sure we get the first goal. Easier said than done I know, but we've scored inside the first 15 minutes in our last three games so we have it in us to do so.

2-0 defeat

Yes and yes. There's nothing like a game with an edge to rouse a team out of bad form.

And equally easy to unsettle the crowd and team by going at them and taking the lead.