J3IWYvk.jpg

Details

Teams – Brentford v Middlesbrough

Location – The Peter Griffin Park

Competition – The Championship

Date – Sat 17th March 2018

Kick off – 15:00

Introduction

Boro visit the Bees on St Patricks day to be sure (or as Boro fans know it: St Bamford’s day).

May the luck o’ the Irish be with you Boro!

The Last Games

Boro:

Boro 3 – 1 Barnsley

Bamford continued his scoring run and Traore turned some more defenders inside-out. Boro looked like they had an easy game on their hands first half, but the Barnsleys came out fighting after half time. Boro were penned back into their own half for much of the 45 and were lucky not to conceded a second.

Brentford:

Millwall 1 – 0 Brentford

Like Barnsley, Brentford conceded a goal in the first minute this weekend. The bees attempted a comeback, with a disallowed goal, a Canos shot hitting the post and an Egan header rattling the crossbar, but ultimately they couldn’t bring down the Lions.

Availability/Injury News

Boro:

- Rudy Gestede will be out for the season.

- Hopefully Mo Besic will be back for this game after suffering a hamstring problem since the Birmingham game.

Brentford:

- Rico Henry will be out for the season after suffering a significant injury to his knee in September

Form (League only - most recent last)

Boro: LWDWWW (we’re really sucking diesel now)

Brentford: DWWLWL

The View From The Other Side

See here: http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39&s=c3166c1078e28be3d69d7ed019252600

The Un(ger)-Official Match Preview

Boro will be looking for a repeat of the scoreline from 2015, when Middlesbrough beat Brentford 2-1 at Griffin park in the first leg of the play offs. Fernando Amorebieta (remember him?) scored in the 93rd minute that day. Will there be any late drama this time?

Bamford will also be hoping for a repeat of 2015. St Patick’s day 2015 was the date Bamford scored the winning goal against promotion rivals Derby County. The win fired Boro up into the top two.

The omens are good! Boro to win 2-1. Bamford and Downing to score.

My predicted team:

Randolph

Shotton Ayala Gibson Friend

Howson Clayton Besic

Traore Bamford Downing

Talking Points

- Will it be Paddy’s day?

- Is there a pot of goals at the end of the rainbow?

- What's the craic?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brentford lost their commanding defender, Danish international Andreas Bjelland, to injury in their last game. Danish media reported earlier that he was likely going to miss the next upcoming international break. Big boost to us if he is out as it’s like us missing Gibbo.

I put us down as slight favourites due to recent form and if Besic gets back it’ll be a big boost. Think it could be a cracking game this.

Boro to win 2-1 from Bamford and Traore.

Brentford have a game at home to Cardiff Tuesday, too. We have an extra 3 days rest and an opportunity to see how they line up tactically against another promotion chasing side.

As BD said, Bellend... I mean 'Bjelland' will be a huge miss for them. Very solid CB at his level, and primarily organises their defence. Without him, I don't see much leadership in their back-line, and that was evidenced at Millwall.

Still, never an easy stadium to go to. Fans are all-but on the pitch, create a very hostile atmosphere - but the likes of Ayala, Gibson, Friend, Clayton, Stewy and Paddy have already been there with us and done the job. Very tight touch line, so Shotton's throwing his way up the field might not be as effective.

All in all, it's a good time to play them. I just hope we don't try and ultra-defend a 1-0 lead in front of Brentford's excellent home support. Game changers like Watkins, Judge, Canos and Sawyers could make us pay if we do. If Birmingham had a striker like Ollie Watkins on the pitch, he'd have taken at least one of those opportunities that Gallagher missed at St. Andrews.

I'm going for a Boro win; 2-1. But that's assuming we go 2-0 up. If we don't, and Brentford equalise ir take the lead, reckon we'll come away with a point... at least I hope! Bamford and Howson for the Boro goals. One either side of HT.

Brentford have a game at home to Cardiff Tuesday, too. We have an extra 3 days rest and an opportunity to see how they line up tactically against another promotion chasing side.

As BD said, Bellend... I mean 'Bjelland' will be a huge miss for them. Very solid CB at his level, and primarily organises their defence. Without him, I don't see much leadership in their back-line, and that was evidenced at Millwall.

Still, never an easy stadium to go to. Fans are all-but on the pitch, create a very hostile atmosphere - but the likes of Ayala, Gibson, Friend, Clayton, Stewy and Paddy have already been there with us and done the job. Very tight touch line, so Shotton's throwing his way up the field might not be as effective.

All in all, it's a good time to play them. I just hope we don't try and ultra-defend a 1-0 lead in front of Brentford's excellent home support. Game changers like Watkins, Judge, Canos and Sawyers could make us pay if we do. If Birmingham had a striker like Ollie Watkins on the pitch, he'd have taken at least one of those opportunities that Gallagher missed at St. Andrews.

I'm going for a Boro win; 2-1. But that's assuming we go 2-0 up. If we don't, and Brentford equalise ir take the lead, reckon we'll come away with a point... at least I hope! Bamford and Howson for the Boro goals. One either side of HT.

If memory serves isn't that exactly what we did last time?  :P 

Ayala's goal after the corner got caught by the wind and nearly went in by itself. That was the promotion season right?

Ayala's goal after the corner got caught by the wind and nearly went in by itself. That was the promotion season right?

Yes it was. I spent two weeks debating with bet365 who had it down as an own goal. Eventually they paid out my 71 quid win on Ayala and 1-0.

A decent day out this. Should be a cracking game and a good chance for us to test our new found form. Away from home we seem to get a bit stuck sometimes - Sunderland and Brum - both very hard work.

Against a better team we might actually rise to the opposition a little bit. If we can keep the same team we should win. We’re finally showing the team we should have been all season.

I find it amazing we have a player like Traore in this league. It’s also amazing that manager after manager failed to get anything out of a Bamford over the last 3 years.

Yes it was. I spent two weeks debating with bet365 who had it down as an own goal. Eventually they paid out my 71 quid win on Ayala and 1-0.

It was also the last game in our clean sheet/unbeaten run, where we barely deserved the win at all. I believe Alan Judge had an absolute blinder for them and how he didn't score/set up a goal, I don't know. Then we went to Bristol City and lost 1-0 in the dying seconds of another crap game.

Brentford have been playing well of late and were unlucky against Millwall, apart from rattling the woodwork twice and having one kicked off the line they looked to have had a good goal disallowed.

Brentford have been hard to beat on their own ground, some good results against the top sides, so I'll go for a hard fought point 1-1, but if we do manage all 3 points then that is a cracking result.

I can't remember what I had this down as in the predictions. I think 1-1 sounds about right, though. We're in good form against some poor sides but the confidence will be high going into the game, you'd imagine. I think we're still just about more likely to lose this than win but a point would not be the worst result in the world.

They're unbeaten at home against the top 6, they've won 2 (Fulham and Villa), drew 2 (Wolves and Derby) with us and Cardiff to play this week. All those other results came, at latest, December. So it's been a while since they played one at home. The Cardiff game might give us an idea of how our game will play out. Didn't actually realise how close they were to Wolves now too so Cardiff will be well up for that one.

Another great opening post BU and as an Irishman I appreciate the Paddy's Day analogy. I do expect it to be a good day for Boro and can see a comfortable win coming our way especially if we have the starting team that you suggest fully fit and rearing to go. 2-0 to the Boro with St Patrick (Bamford) himself to score the opener

A decent day out this. Should be a cracking game and a good chance for us to test our new found form. Away from home we seem to get a bit stuck sometimes - Sunderland and Brum - both very hard work.

Against a better team we might actually rise to the opposition a little bit. If we can keep the same team we should win. We’re finally showing the team we should have been all season.

I find it amazing we have a player like Traore in this league. It’s also amazing that manager after manager failed to get anything out of a Bamford over the last 3 years.

If you look at Brums' stats away against Cardiff this weekend, they are starting to show their actual strength ... So we should be glad we beat them at their ground... 

A new manager (even Monk) has had an impact. 

Wasn't the walk over for us, as expected, and certainly not for Cardiff either

Very good opening post Unger! I hope you make the Wolves one aswell!

Random question here for everyone...

Are you all in bed very early? I live in Denmark and the clock is always 1 hour later as in GB ... It's 11.40 PM here and no life in the forum at all ..

I miss some late night action ... Keep refreshing but not much activity after 10 pm :P

10.30 on a Sunday lots of people may well be in bed, or at least just winding down, yeah.

It's every day like this ... 

I normally go to bed around 1 or 2 am, that's why.

Am just wondering, if everybody is early in bed :P