oneBoro Forum

Boro vs. Nottingham Forest 2-0 (Ayala, Downing)

A very disappointing showing at Burton keeps Boro in the playoffs as all other rivals are hell bent on staying out of the top 6. Britt semi-saved the day with a undeserved late equaliser, but it was more than we deserved as Burton battled and we had nothing to offer. It was a dismal showing and in my eyes one of the most disappointing games since THAT Cardiff game. 

Anyway we move forward and with only 6 games to go a home game against a team with nothing to play for should be a welcome chance to bounce back after only 2 points in the last 3 games. We really need a win here to male sure we stay in the top-6 six, especially with some very tough games coming up in the final 5 games. 

One of the most interesting aspects of this game is the return of former Boro manager Aitor Karanka. Will he set up to frustrate us or will he see that we are actually there for the taking. I think he will have noticed that we don't really create much so he is going to have his team sit back and frustrate us. Forest don't score a lot of goals, in fact only 5 teams have scored less, so he will probably be happy with a 0-0 scoreline and I wouldn't be surprised if that is final score. 

Who deserves to be dropped after last match?

Do we go 4-4-2 like most of the Burton game, but leaving us with no strikers on the bench following Pulis' masterclass transferwindow?

The other side: http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46776 Funny quote: Defeats for Pulis are usually victories for football. If he wasn't our manager I would completely agree.

Borodanes lineup:

Shotton-Ayala-Gibson-Friend

---------Howson-Besic---------

Traore-----------------Harrison

---------Bamford-Britt----------

Yes it's rather big shakeup at this point, but the three in the middle just isn't working. We are creating nothing and Downing on the wing is bordering useless. Pulis won't go with this though and we will likely see another stale performance with "give the ball to Adama" as our only tactics apart from Ayala booting it aimlessly up the field to no-one but the cars in the parking lot.

Scoreline: 0-0. Karanka stiffles our team and we fail to create much.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like to see THIS team:

Randz

D: Shotton, Ayala, Fry, Gibson

CM: Downing, Besic

RW: Traore, LW: Harrison

S: Bam and Britt

I think GIbson could do a better job on the wing, than a REALLY poor Friend. Friend looks very clumsy and he is not able to make a cross or shoot (except for that one hit wonder)

Downing could be a good CM but not as a 10 .. He has ok defensive abilities and he can maybe be the "passer" we need to start the attacks!

And a duo in front with 23 goals betweeen them should do the work!

I would like to see THIS team:

Randz

D: Shotton, Ayala, Fry, Gibson

CM: Downing, Besic

RW: Traore, LW: Harrison

S: Bam and Britt

I think GIbson could do a better job on the wing, than a REALLY poor Friend. Friend looks very clumsy and he is not able to make a cross or shoot (except for that one hit wonder)

Downing could be a good CM but not as a 10 .. He has ok defensive abilities and he can maybe be the "passer" we need to start the attacks!

And a duo in front with 23 goals betweeen them should do the work!

There is no way Friend will get dropped and Gibson will move out wide!

I also think Downing at CM is not the answer. I do think we should go 4-4-2. We know how Aitor will play, if we start with one up front, it's going to be a very boring game, much like us vs WBA at the start of last season.

Hopefully Britt can channel himself a bit better this time round.

Lol Pulis ain't dropping Downing.

It'll be the same lineup as Burton Albion, or he'll drop Besic for Clayton (I know, I know.)

We'll stutter to a win somehow and our stumble to the playoffs along with everyone else will continue.

I just don't see how you can play 4-4-2 with Adama out right... He's a RW, not a RM. a flat midfield four would just see him pull everything out of balance and compromise his ability to play to his strengths.

Wouldn't mind him playing the free role behind Paddy though. If Downing was down the right, with his tendency to stay a bit deeper and more withdrawn from the final third, it'd allow Adama the freedom and opportunity to capitalise down that right flank at times too.

GK - Randolph

RB - Shotton

CB - Ayala

CB - Gibson

LB - Friend

RM - Downing

CM - Howson

CM - Besic

LM - Harrison

FR - Traore

ST - Bamford

Baker and Harrison both got starts for the U23s last night, but both came off before the hour mark.

I'm not suggesting that Pulis is planning on giving them both a start on Saturday, but giving them 50-odd minutes is exactly what I'd do if I was planning on involving them.

Downing still starts for me. Harrison didn't impress me anywhere near enough to justify a start. Standing out in any form against Burton with the way that everyone played is not reasonable to assume he will be better than Downing. Marvin Johnson could have come on and looked like a world beater in that game.

If we drop everyone who didn't perform well against Burton you might as well change almost the whole team barring the centre backs, the keeper and possibly Bamford. For me we need to drop Leadbitter for Clayton and bring Shotton back in and just get the best out of that 11.

One thing we do know is that with the exception of a few players Karanka knows how most of ours play, they were he's players so he'll have definitely done his homework, I'll be surprised if this isn't a tough game. The odd goal may well decide it.

Don't see many changes if any on Saturday, it will be us relying and hoping on Traore having a blinder and creating chances for Paddy, biggest surprise will be if Pulis drops Downing, can't see it though.

Got a feeling he's going to revert back to a Basic, Leadbitter, Clayton midfield. I'll cry if so. Gonna be a tough game, Aitor will have done his homework and it'll be a tight game. 1-0 either way.

You just know how AK is going to set up for this. We need an early goal or I fear another disappointing afternoon. It's still in our own hands, please don't muck it up!

One thing we do know is that with the exception of a few players Karanka knows how most of ours play, they were he's players so he'll have definitely done his homework, I'll be surprised if this isn't a tough game. The odd goal may well decide it.

Don't see many changes if any on Saturday, it will be us relying and hoping on Traore having a blinder and creating chances for Paddy, biggest surprise will be if Pulis drops Downing, can't see it though.

lol that's been our tactic every single game since Pulis got here.

Downing still starts for me. Harrison didn't impress me anywhere near enough to justify a start. Standing out in any form against Burton with the way that everyone played is not reasonable to assume he will be better than Downing. Marvin Johnson could have come on and looked like a world beater in that game.

If we drop everyone who didn't perform well against Burton you might as well change almost the whole team barring the centre backs, the keeper and possibly Bamford. For me we need to drop Leadbitter for Clayton and bring Shotton back in and just get the best out of that 11.

I hope he turns out to be great, but Harrison seems to have gone up in people’s estimations by not playing. I guess you that is not uncommon if the team aren’t on a good run of results.

Fingers crossed he shows some of that potential. One day.