oneBoro Forum

Boro being broadcasted is profitable

Took this article from another Boro forum however pertinent to all Boro fans

From "Inside World Football"

The journo`s source needs checking but it makes interesting reading:

April 9 – The near 20-fold increase in broadcasting revenue associated with the club’s brief return to the Premier League helped Middlesbrough rebound into profit for the year to 30 June 2017.

The Teesside outfit posted a £6.9 million pre-tax profit which, though modest in comparison with many rivals in England’s top tier last season, marked a big improvement on the £32 million loss racked up in 2015-16, its last promotion season.

With staff costs doubling to £64.9 million, and cost of sales jumping from £40.5 million to £89.5 million, the turnover boost was insufficient to produce a profit at the operating level. However, an £11.3 million gain on player sales in the latest period was enough to convert that £4.1 million operating loss into pre-tax profit. Disposals included Adam Reach to Sheffield Wednesday, Ghanaian international Albert Adomah to Aston Villa and former England man David Nugent to Derby.

Broadcasting accounted for more than £100 million of Boro’s £121.4 million of turnover in 2016-17, a season which saw it finish 19th in the Premier League, with the fewest victories of any team, and hence return to the second-tier Championship for the current campaign.

Gate receipts and sponsorship and commercial revenue both climbed, but merchandising income fell from £3.11 million to £2.97 million.

The club – controlled by chairman Steve Gibson by virtue of his 75% stake in The Gibson O’Neill Company whose biggest activity in turnover terms is a transportation company called Bulkhaul – was stated in the accounts to owe £93.6 million to group undertakings, unchanged from the prior year.

Amounts owed to group companies are said to be repayable on demand. However, a “signed letter of support” has been obtained stating that the loans “will not be recalled within 12 months of the signing of these financial statements”.

The balance-sheet at 30 June 2017 also included a bank loan of £8.58 million, up from £5 million a year earlier. This was said to be part of a £10 million multi-option currency facility repayable by 15 July 2017, secured by the assignment of future Premier League income bearing interest at 2.25% over LIBOR.

Contact the writer of this story at moc.llabtoofdlrowedisni@newo.divad

Our staff costs were slightly higher than Burnley's by way of comparison but not by much.  Same with Hull City.  Watford and Bournemouth were both higher than us but not as much as I thought they might be.  Most of the other comparable clubs were higher still although I haven't looked in much detail.   Staff costs include everyone employed by the business not just the players.  

Our staff costs doubled in the Premier League, the vast majority of that would have been players obviously.  It certainly didn't feel like we were watching a team substantially better than the one that got us promoted!

All those 'low risk' signings eh  :funny: :disappointed: :upside_down:

£47.5M spent on transfer fees.  That's actually more than Transfermarkt has by £4m.  Could include loan fees possibly I don't know or perhaps we did have to spend a few million on Ramirez?

Player sales brought in about £12.4m, which is almost bang on what Transfermarkt has so the transfer fees there would appear to be correct meaning we sold Adomah for about £3m.  We spent more on both Guedioura and Fischer than we got from selling Adomah.  Money well spent  :frown:

£47.5M spent on transfer fees.  That's actually more than Transfermarkt has by £4m.  Could include loan fees possibly I don't know or perhaps we did have to spend a few million on Ramirez?

Player sales brought in about £12.4m, which is almost bang on what Transfermarkt has so the transfer fees there would appear to be correct meaning we sold Adomah for about £3m.  We spent more on both Guedioura and Fischer than we got from selling Adomah.  Money well spent  :frown:

We're all experts afterwards but in hindsight we should have kept the squad that got us promoted. We'd have come back down but I don't think we'd have done any worse in terms of points last season.

This season would have meant we still had a settled squad without the need for ripping it to bits.

I felt that Karanka built something quite special over the course of a couple of season's in the championship, certainly in terms of team spirit and organisation. It's a real shame that we destroyed all that when we got promoted.

We're all experts afterwards but in hindsight we should have kept the squad that got us promoted. We'd have come back down but I don't think we'd have done any worse in terms of points last season.

This season would have meant we still had a settled squad without the need for ripping it to bits.

I felt that Karanka built something quite special over the course of a couple of season's in the championship, certainly in terms of team spirit and organisation. It's a real shame that we destroyed all that when we got promoted.

Not buying that at all. Adomah is the only one you could argue about and I'd still rather have Traore.

The rest of the best performing players from that season are still here and unfortunately for whatever reason are just playing nowhere near our promo season. Clayts,Ayala,Gibbo,Friend even leadbitter has gone from mediocre to godawful. 

Unless of course you are suggesting Kike/Rhodes/Nugent would be better options than Bamford/Ass.

Not buying that at all. Adomah is the only one you could argue about and I'd still rather have Traore.

The rest of the best performing players from that season are still here and unfortunately for whatever reason are just playing nowhere near our promo season. Clayts,Ayala,Gibbo,Friend even leadbitter has gone from mediocre to godawful. 

Unless of course you are suggesting Kike/Rhodes/Nugent would be better options than Bamford/Ass.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't have bought or sold a player a player in the last 18 months but I think the turnover of players has been far too high.

A couple of tweaks to the promotion squad wouldn't have been any worse last season in my opinion. I'm not just talking about one player versus another either, I just think there's an argument for team spirit getting you a long way.

Who would have predicted Burnley's championship players to do so well in the Premier league?

As for this season I'm not sure how much our incomings have improved us but that's a more complex argument which I haven't got time for.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't have bought or sold a player a player in the last 18 months but I think the turnover of players has been far too high.

A couple of tweaks to the promotion squad wouldn't have been any worse last season in my opinion. I'm not just talking about one player versus another either, I just think there's an argument for team spirit getting you a long way.

Who would have predicted Burnley's championship players to do so well in the Premier league?

As for this season I'm not sure how much our incomings have improved us but that's a more complex argument which I haven't got time for.

Re your last point... not complicated in the slightest, they haven't haha. Unless you include Randolph (still a downgrade on valdes), shotten (only by virtue of barraghan being so bad) and besic (who has only played a few games). Otherwise its been God awful, no complex debate about it.

Re your last point... not complicated in the slightest, they haven't haha. Unless you include Randolph (still a downgrade on valdes), shotten (only by virtue of barraghan being so bad) and besic (who has only played a few games). Otherwise its been God awful, no complex debate about it.

I agree and to be honest there's not many of the new signings that I rate, I just think you could get into a debate about whether the likes of Britt and Howson have been utilised effectively. Saying that I think we've still overpaid for them and they certainly haven't improved us.

The turnover of players has definitely been too big the past 18 months. In hindsight we might as well have kept Reach instead of buying Fischer. Nsue would probably have been just as good as that awful Barragan. At least we’ve recouped a lot of our money though but it’s been expensive on the pitch.

Are you sure that Karanka didn't have quite a bit to do with things being 'destroyed' - due to his attitude, personality, relationships with certain players, and mental state?

Maybe I read/interpret your posts wrong, but it seems [to me] like you think that nothing had started to go wrong during the promotion season. To me, with our form in Jan-March, certain very bad losses that we suffered to bottom teams, the Charlton weekend bust up - it didn't really seem like we were a team with fantastic spirit, or indeed great organisation at times.

I agree that everyone probably pulled together for those last ten games, and we scraped over the line.... but I think it possibly papered over some cracks that had started to appear, rather than anything else.

I agree, it would have been good to have held on to Adomah too.

Are you sure that Karanka didn't have quite a bit to do with things being 'destroyed' - due to his attitude, personality, relationships with certain players, and mental state?

Maybe I read/interpret your posts wrong, but it seems [to me] like you think that nothing had started to go wrong during the promotion season. To me, with our form in Jan-March, certain very bad losses that we suffered to bottom teams, the Charlton weekend bust up - it didn't really seem like we were a team with fantastic spirit, or indeed great organisation at times.

I agree that everyone probably pulled together for those last ten games, and we scraped over the line.... but I think it possibly papered over some cracks that had started to appear, rather than anything else.

Yes I'm saying it was Karanka's fault that we destroyed the great team spirit and togetherness at the club, he's the manager and carries the can.

Maybe it started earlier than I suggested but I think the results on the pitch would suggest we put things right behind the scenes after Charlton away.

From what I've been told the bust up before Charlton was caused by a massive over reaction from Karanka, it wasn't a divided dressing room infact it was quite a tight knit group. I think the pressure just got to him.

Last season however we had a massive divide in the dressing room between the Spanish and English speaking players. It was completely different to the season before.

Yes I'm saying it was Karanka's fault that we destroyed the great team spirit and togetherness at the club, he's the manager and carries the can.

Maybe it started earlier than I suggested but I think the results on the pitch would suggest we put things right behind the scenes after Charlton away.

From what I've been told the bust up before Charlton was caused by a massive over reaction from Karanka, it wasn't a divided dressing room infact it was quite a tight knit group. I think the pressure just got to him.

Last season however we had a massive divide in the dressing room between the Spanish and English speaking players. It was completely different to the season before.

That all makes sense then. Certainly the '14/15 and the '15/16 were two of the most exciting for a while. I guess when the team is riding high, the team morale ought to be fairly decent!

Last season, with things going as badly as they did, and lots of new players, I guess divisions were bound to happen. I agree that we still haven't got back to that.

I get the impression (rightly or wrongly) with teams like Brighton, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford (to a certain extent).... that they've managed to keep their team spirit strong, despite the challenges of the Premier League.