oneBoro Forum

Boro v Aston Villa 0-3

Is your team's fancy flowing football getting in the way of what is really important - choking the life out of a game and getting 3 points?

Is the exciting flavour of penalty area action getting too much for the old ticker, and you yearn for a slower and simpler taste when it comes to your football appetite? 

Are you an absolute ***house?

Well as always, PulisCo have come up trumps with exactly the product you need!

results-grinder.jpg

Yes ladies and gents, it's finally here. Uncle Tony's Results Grinder™ has revolutionised culinary football consumption, by replacing the exciting flavours of attacking football with a bland but functional taste that serves the purpose of sustaining the life of your promotion push, but VERY LITTLE ELSE!

As ever with PulisCo products, don't take our word for it, but listen to our satisfied customers:

"Uncle Tony's Results Grinder  has been life changing. I'm finally able to fulfill my dream of playing in a team with 5 other centre backs!" - Dael F, Berwick Hills

"Just amazing. One go of Uncle Tony's Results Grinder™, and  doing the same thing I've always done -jumping about and lumbering into the box is now working for me!" - Jordan H, Hemlington

"I don't think much of it, if I'm being totally honest. It seems to just make everything worse, for me" - Britt A, Yarm

"It's not really for me" - Dean S, Birmingham

Please complete our customer survey below:

What changes do we make, if any?

Can we ever try playing without Downing, Tavernier OR Braithwaite again?

Do we try to contain Villa's attacking threat, or let them worry about us?

Is grinding out draws and narrow wins better than winning big but losing more often? 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, Tom - A little controversial red line in it... Like adding fuel to the fire again :D ... But that's satire, I know ;)

Good post, but my gawd, that comic sans font kills my eyes :D

I've been watching Boro since 1986, I have to ask you all this questions. Apart from 2/3 years under Robson, where we were relegated and lost 3 cup finals, when were we ever exciting to watch?

There seems to be this modern craze where supporters think they are entitled to successful attractive football. In my experience that's unicorn stuff, usually requiring the input of a foreign billionaire and the FA and FIFA turning a blind eye to FIFA fair play loopholes being exploited.

Maybe i'm just old school but I'd rather we were boring and winning than exciting and getting beat.

I've been watching Boro since 1986, I have to ask you all this questions. Apart from 2/3 years under Robson, where we were relegated and lost 3 cup finals, when were we ever exciting to watch?

There seems to be this modern craze where supporters think they are entitled to successful attractive football. I'm my experience that's unicorn stuff, usually requiring the input of a foreign billionaire and the FA and FIFA turning a blind eye to FIFA fair play loopholes being exploited.

Maybe i'm just old school but I'd rather we were boring and winning than exciting and getting beat.

Spot on

There seems to be this modern craze where supporters think they are entitled to successful attractive football. I'm my experience that's unicorn stuff, usually requiring the input of a foreign billionaire and the FA and FIFA turning a blind eye to FIFA fair play loopholes being exploited.

Spot on

Not spot on.

You were answered on the other thread. We were eye catching enough in Karankas early reign, hell even under mogga we played some decent stuff just the calibre of player we had was tosh.

Under Mclaren sorta the opposite where we weren't setup to entertain but we had some top top players who made our matches entertaining.

Again I don't see why we are limited to playing utter crap football to get results. We are a big fish in this league. Nothing wrong with expecting us to attack teams.

I can't honestly see many goals tomorrow, I do think we will struggle with the movement of teams like Villa, as we did against Derby and Preston to a degree also. I hope I'm wrong but not feeling overly confident ahead of this game.

To be honest I am really concerned about this game especially with it being at home.

We have struggled for a while to beat Villa and last season's performances against them were rank to say the least, our home performance in the play off's against them was as negative as anything we have witnessed and summed up perfectly what our season was all about in flattering to deceive, we were caught out.

They are rampant in terms of scoring goals recently and yes I am aware that they are facing a different defensive unit but it does not mean we will be able to cope with what we know they will throw at us.

Stop Boro scoring first by scoring first yourself and you have a damned good chance of getting a win, because although we have levelled games we have not gone on to win a game when going behind this term.

Massive game we need to up the anti right from kick off and ensure we get the first goal and then go on from there, our attitude has to be different (highly unlikely) and maintained just to ensure we keep as close as possible to all around us.

In terms of home games this is a "must not lose" game and honestly I think it could take the mantle of THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON...…….so far!!!!

Ps Tom very good opening post!

Great opener as always!

If we're going to sit back against Villa and let them have the ball then it's absolutely key we press at the right moments and counter-attack effectively. I hope Pulis has learned his lesson from the Derby and Preston games, and we start with the right tactics - because if we get blown away early I don't think we have the attacking skill to chase a game and win it. I'm going for another score draw.

-----------------Randolph-------------------

---Fry------Batth-----Flint------Friend---

-------------------Clayton---------------------

Braithwaite-Howson-Besic-Tavernier

---------------------Hugill-----------------------

Is Clayton available for the game? I thought he picked up his 5th yellow and now has to sit out!

Also does anyone know any injury news particularly with regards to Wing and Gestede?

Other games of interest before we play our game and one game to follow

Sheff Utd V Leeds Sky game 1230 kick off

Forest V Ipswich (league whipping boys)

Brum V Preston

Derby County V Swansea (can't seem to win)

Norwich V Rotherham (keep it going lads)

WBA V Brentford (Monday night football )

Is Clayton available for the game? I thought he picked up his 5th yellow and now has to sit out!

Also does anyone know any injury news particularly with regards to Wing and Gestede?

Other games of interest before we play our game and one game to follow

Sheff Utd V Leeds  Sky game 1230 kick off

Forest V Ipswich (league whipping boys)

Brum V Preston

Derby County V Swansea (can't seem to win)

Norwich V Rotherham (keep it going lads)

WBA V Brentford (Monday night football )

Clayton was suspended for 5 yellows back in October, so is available here as far as I know.

Wing trained yesterday but may be rested after he had a funny turn.

Gestede is definitely out, though Pulis didn't give anything away other than that.

Go to pick his strongest team for this one which means Downing has to play IMO

-----------------Randolph-------------------

---Fry------Batth-----Flint------Friend---

-------------------Clayton Besic--------------

Braithwaite ------Howson----- Downing

---------------------Hugill-----

Villa will be smarting from the midweek game and generally do well against us so this will be very tight and I am going with a 1-0 win and Hugill to score but wont be in the slightest bit surprised if its 0-0

Spot on

Not spot on.

You were answered on the other thread. We were eye catching enough in Karankas early reign, hell even under mogga we played some decent stuff just the calibre of player we had was tosh.

Under Mclaren sorta the opposite where we weren't setup to entertain but we had some top top players who made our matches entertaining.

Again I don't see why we are limited to playing utter crap football to get results. We are a big fish in this league. Nothing wrong with expecting us to attack teams.

We were eye catching in Karanka's early reign? Those are some rose tinted spectacles my friend.

Karanka took over November 2013 - then in 2014.......

Jan 25th Leicester 2-0 Boro

Jan 28th Boro 0-0 Wigan 

Feb 1st Doncaster 0-0 Boro

Feb 8th Blackburn 0-0 Boro

Feb 15th Watford 1-0 Boro

Feb 22nd Boro 0-0 Leeds

March 1st Wednesday 1-0 Boro 

7 consecutive games without a goal. 

My memory is failing due to the large quantities of drink I've forced through it over the years so I've checked through the results of the 14/15 and 15/16 seasons, where was this period where we were scoring goals for fun and tearing teams apart?