oneBoro Forum

Boro Fans and vocal support especially at home.

Not that long ago as I am sure you recall Adam Clayton not quite, but nearly, openly criticised the Riverside fans home game vocal support and how the lack of it and also the negative vibes coming from the crowd did in actuality play on the teams performances.

Like many I for the most dismissed the point he was making and for all of the reasons already mentioned thought he was a little bit out of order and should just pull his sleeves up, along with most of the team and start producing performances that would in fact get the crowd, or many of them back on side.

Our home form has been discussed to the nth degree so many times of late and we can never really put our finger on the real reason as to why this is the case.

Yesterday at WBA and at a fair number of other away games, but in particular yesterday I have to say that the vocal support for the Boro was the best in a long while and possibly beat the terrific away support last season at Derby.

When the WBA fans aimed their chants at Tony Pulis our fans immediately and very loudly turned the song they were singing back onto them and for a period of time there seemed to be a real coming together of Boro fans, players and Management all of a sudden WE WERE BORO all of us and proud of it too!

I really felt the atmosphere and full support of the team did in fact rub off on the players and apart from Saville's first half goal all the players (maybe not Randy) got as close to the fans as possible, after Britt's goals and there was unity clearly there for all to see.

I mentioned in the match day thread that there were negatives but no-one aimed any dismay at the team, ok a few odd moans and groans but nothing severe.

Is it possible then that the majority of home fans try and replicate the feel and support that is evidently shown away from home at The Riverside and accept that perhaps the players really do need the 12th man and allow them to come out of their shells a bit more.

I will also say that TP was brilliant at WBA yesterday, praised the fans came onto the pitch with the fisted pump, he enjoyed the game and I think he would enjoy home games a little bit more if we can give the players and staff a bit more encouragement.

I hope that this does not turn out to be the usual self repeating thread seen so many times recently but an honest assessment of whether or not we as fans should be a little bit more thoughtful.

One finishing comment for you to consider is that once all of the current regime have gone you will still be a Boro fan in your heart even if you are not a go to the match supporter.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Just put a post on the West Brom thread along these lines so I’ll stick it here too:

Ultimately the bad football has caused the hostile home atmosphere, not the other way around. For that reason I think the club has to be careful in its attempts to cultivate positivity at the riverside. However, the atmosphere certainly can’t be helping things. Unfortunately it’s one of those things where one fuels the other. Bad football causes fans to get on the players’ back, which puts the players under even more pressure to perform.

I’ll be at the Leeds game on Saturday, my first home game since Burton. I’m hoping everyone just gets behind the team and realise we have the chance to go 4 points off second with a game in hand. Whether it will happen though I’m not sure, and if the atmosphere is hostile then there is a good reason for it being so.

Not that long ago as I am sure you recall Adam Clayton not quite, but nearly, openly criticised the Riverside fans home game vocal support and how the lack of it and also the negative vibes coming from the crowd did in actuality play on the teams performances.

Like many I for the most dismissed the point he was making and for all of the reasons already mentioned thought he was a little bit out of order and should just pull his sleeves up, along with most of the team and start producing performances that would in fact get the crowd, or many of them back on side.

Our home form has been discussed to the nth degree so many times of late and we can never really put our finger on the real reason as to why this is the case.

Yesterday at WBA and at a fair number of other away games, but in particular yesterday I have to say that the vocal support for the Boro was the best in a long while and possibly beat the terrific away support last season at Derby.

When the WBA fans aimed their chants at Tony Pulis our fans immediately and very loudly turned the song they were singing back onto them and for a period of time there seemed to be a real coming together of Boro fans, players and Management all of a sudden WE WERE BORO all of us and proud of it too!

I really felt the atmosphere and full support of the team did in fact rub off on the players and apart from Saville's first half goal all the players (maybe not Randy) got as close to the fans as possible, after Britt's goals and there was unity clearly there for all to see.

I mentioned in the match day thread that there were negatives but no-one aimed any dismay at the team, ok a few odd moans and groans but nothing severe.

Is it possible then that the majority of home fans try and replicate the feel and support that is evidently shown away from home at The Riverside and accept that perhaps the players really do need the 12th man and allow them to come out of their shells a bit more.

I will also say that TP was brilliant at WBA yesterday, praised the fans came onto the pitch with the fisted pump, he enjoyed the game and I think he would enjoy home games a little bit more if we can give the players and staff a bit more encouragement.

I hope that this does not turn out to be the usual self repeating thread seen so many times recently but an honest assessment of whether or not we as fans should be a little bit more thoughtful.

One finishing comment for you to consider is that once all of the current regime have gone you will still be a Boro fan in your heart even if you are not a go to the match supporter.

I think it's a good discussion thread but the answer for me is pretty simple.

I've been going to Boro matches home and away for over 3 decades and the away support has always been miles better. It's the same with every club, the fans are there for a day out to have a good drink and a sing song.

Onto our home support, it's been very quiet lately, even the red faction are barely singing anymore. The reason for that is our tactics, we are far too negative and seem to play to lose rather than trying to win. There's only one man to blame for that.

We've been totally outplayed by teams earlier in the season like Forest and Villa where the fans weren't getting on the teams back whatsoever. The recent negativity in the ground stems from watching months of negative drivel, I don't think it's aimed at anyone in particular it's just general frustration.

The easy way to get rid of the negativity in the ground is for the team and Pulis to be positive, it doesn't need to be a formation with loads of strikers we just need to start the game with a bit of intent and the fans will follow.

This situation is easily addressed just be positive in home games rather than sitting with 10 men behind the ball.

Just put a post on the West Brom thread along these lines so I’ll stick it here too:

Ultimately the bad football has caused the hostile home atmosphere, not the other way around. For that reason I think the club has to be careful in its attempts to cultivate positivity at the riverside. However, the atmosphere certainly can’t be helping things. Unfortunately it’s one of those things where one fuels the other. Bad football causes fans to get on the players’ back, which puts the players under even more pressure to perform.

I’ll be at the Leeds game on Saturday, my first home game since Burton. I’m hoping everyone just gets behind the team and realise we have the chance to go 4 points off second with a game in hand. Whether it will happen though I’m not sure, and if the atmosphere is hostile then there is a good reason for it being so.

I agree with that and I posted the same on the other thread, it's feels to me like there's an insinuation that the fans are at fault for the home form.

Rather than uniting the fans the statements I've heard from Pulis, Clayton and the Gazette actually get my back up a little bit.

well I do think the fans at the home games need to be a little patient too, not good to start booing after 10 minutes if it looks bad, better to try and wake the team then.... But I am not at the games so I guess I should shut up......

well I do think the fans at the home games need to be a little patient too, not good to start booing after 10 minutes if it looks bad, better to try and wake the team then.... But I am not at the games so I guess I should shut up......

The fans booing don't help but you've got to understand it isn't frustration of watching 10 minutes of bad football. This had been 3 or 4 months of awful football at home and it's a build up of frustration.

When we play teams like Sheffield Wednesday who were without a manager and struggling and Millwall who were struggling the fans want to see the team make an effort to be positive. Against Millwall we had 5 central midfielders in the team which meant 10 men behind the ball defending. It was Millwall not Man City!

We don't boo after 10 mins.  The fans have been fine while watching absolute ***e for most of the time.  14 goals in 14 games.  Great stuff.

I think West Brom gifting us two goals helped more than the fans yesterday to be blunt.  Sorry to burst your bubble DS.

The manager needs to learn fast that home fans expect their team to at least make an effort to score, win football matches, and offer some entertainment for their time and money.

Fans will make an exception if you're playing a vastly superior side, but there is literally no excuse for the rubbish he's served up like the Millwall game.

The manager needs to pick a team at home that can win games at home against teams that aren't necessarily going to flood out and attack us or give us two goals as West Brom did yesterday. Let's be clear, we played ok yesterday against a decent side but we didn't dominate them or completely outplay them. People are hyped because they weren't expecting it not because we were amazing if you actually look at it in the cold light of day.

We select teams that are designed to be good away from home, unfortunately we select them for the home games as well and the end result is a team that's not quite as effective there. Let's see what happens next weekend.

Sunderland didn't win at home for 364 days .. as close to a year as possible.

In the Sunderland Till I Die documentary the fans are really harsh on the players, and it's obvious that they only perform even worse, cause the pressure is sky high and the tension and frustration lands as a heavy chain on the boys on the pitch.

It's like yelling at a kid, that has issues, getting in trouble .. That'll help... not...

Yeah yeah, I hear you already .. "these are getting paid large sums to play football and manage" .. Still .. It doesn't help to make it harder for them to perform.

I hope we can ride high on a wave of succes and victories following that marvelous win at WBA... Here's to dreaming.

And even IF/WHEN Pulis lines up with 10 defenders v Leeds, he has shown willingness to chase the game and make positive changes and subs.. with succes.. That's more than you can say about Mr. No Plan B a.k.a. Karanka!

Sunderland were a terrible team who have found their level at League 1... we're not, we just beat West Brom away. That's why it's so infuriating to see his negative line ups and tactics at home.

If we genuinely had awful players, were massively out of our depth, and losing to teams with bags of money and superior squads then I don't think the fan reaction would be the same at all. Just my two cents...

Sunderland were a terrible team who have found their level at League 1... we're not, we just beat West Brom away. That's why it's so infuriating to see his negative line ups and tactics at home.

If we genuinely had awful players, were massively out of our depth, and losing to teams with bags of money and superior squads then I don't think the fan reaction would be the same at all. Just my two cents...

I here you, but does it help the players? Genuine question. Not trying to stir up.

To put it into some context, we average a goal per game at home. So if we concede a goal then the chances are that we won't win. Any time we've conceded at goal at home in the league we haven't won. We've only ever won to nil at home this season. Even in the cup games, other than Rochdale the same thing is evident - if we concede then we can't win because we can't manage more than one goal.

Our home record actually isn't that bad - we've only lost 3 times. But we've drawn a few more games than we'd like and it's entirely down to the lack of goals. We've only won 1 more away game than at home and that was yesterday obviously.

To put it into some context, we average a goal per game at home.  So if we concede a goal then the chances are that we won't win.  Any time we've conceded at goal at home in the league we haven't won.   We've only ever won to nil at home this season.  Even in the cup games, other than Rochdale the same thing is evident - if we concede then we can't win because we can't manage more than one goal.  

Our home record actually isn't that bad - we've only lost 3 times.  But we've drawn a few more games than we'd like and it's entirely down to the lack of goals.  We've only won 1 more away game than at home and that was yesterday obviously.

Modern problems require modern solutions. 

If the crowd cheered double, then we might score two at home each game  :upside_down: