oneBoro Forum

Crowds, reality v fantasy.

There's been a few posts on here recently regarding crowd size v ticket sales, season cards etc. So I just thought I'd throw a little something out there.

A lot of people will renew regardless - why? they can afford it and then they keep their low numbers, gold cards et. So if the good times are ever back, they will get first dibs on away tickets, cup tickets, Wembley tickets and dare I say European tickets.

Here's an example, a friend has 5 season cards, 2 for himself because he doesn't like been cramped, two for mates to take with him and a "spare" just in case (bet you'd like to be a penny behind him with that much to waste) I've always had two and have explained why and another acquaintance also has 5, he has them for friends and once again cup/Wembley tickets etc.

So out of three people there's 12 tickets of which 2 have been used about 5 times in the last few months. Finally to add to that my mate says there's two seats next to his five who belong to someone else and have not been occupied once this season.

They are only two people in my relatively small social circle, so I wonder if any of you know similar people - but it certainly makes me think that Boro inflate Gates by tickets sold rather than bums on seats, last night they said there were 21k there - anyone taking that?

This tells me some people have too much money :)

Yep, one is a millionaire, I actually knew someone with ten but he died last year, last time we went to Wembley he gave 8 tickets to genuine fans who had fell on hard times - put a bus on for them too.

We have some good fans who put a lot of money the clubs way and deserve better.

I have a season ticket with two of my mates, I've only been to 2 league games since Swansea in September, 0-1 Sheff Wed and Leeds 1-1, and the Burton cup game. My mates have probably been to 1 or 2 more max.

I've had a season ticket since 2003 and have missed more games since September than I have done in the last 5 seasons combined. I moved to Nottingham 4 years ago and had made the 4-5 hour round trip since then but can't justify it anymore, it's just too demoralising.

Last night was the first time that I can remember either not attending, watching or listening to the game, as I just wasn't bothered. I watched the Liverpool game instead and checked our score now and then. I wasn't surprised at the result although it sounds as though we were firmly in control until the red. Regardless, I've never been so disinterested in the club since I started following them.

With the inflated attendance figures, it seems it's standard practice for clubs to at least include all season tickets. I think we have around 20k season ticket holders. This BBC article suggests that most clubs add a few thousand on regularly https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/45158878

I have a season ticket with two of my mates, I've only been to 2 league games since Swansea in September, 0-1 Sheff Wed and Leeds 1-1, and the Burton cup game. My mates have probably been to 1 or 2 more max.  

I've had a season ticket since 2003 and have missed more games since September than I have done in the last 5 seasons combined. I moved to Nottingham 4 years ago and had made the 4-5 hour round trip since then but can't justify it anymore, it's just too demoralising.

Last night was the first time that I can remember either not attending, watching or listening to the game, as I just wasn't bothered. I watched the Liverpool game instead and checked our score now and then. I wasn't surprised at the result although it sounds as though we were firmly in control until the red. Regardless, I've never been so disinterested in the club since I started following them.

With the inflated attendance figures, it seems it's standard practice for clubs to at least include all season tickets. I think we have around 20k season ticket holders. This BBC article suggests that most clubs add a few thousand on regularly https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/45158878

This is where i am too. I live in London now and I can't justify to myself a £100 train ticket, £30 match ticket and whatever else on a Pulis Boro game.

Saying that, I haven't been to a Boro game in London since last March in the snow at Brentford.

Under Karanka in the Championship, i went everywhere, I just have nothing to get excited about or have pride in at the moment. 

I saw 10 minutes of the game yesterday and it was the same old stuff, Hugill throwing himself to the floor, Aimless long balls forward and nobody trying to make things happen. 

3 wins at 14 at home is criminal, especially when you remember what it was like under Karanka at home.

Yeah, my uncle for about 5 years had season tickets in my 2 boys names plus his own and his boy as we lived in NI. we would come over for xmas and maybe 2 other games and he would always let us use them but ask us to move our seats as he had got used to the space.

Soon stopped once i got sent to thirsk for work!!

I use my lad as a barometer for crowds. He works the north stand food concourse "cooking" all that lovely stuff. He gets given figures at the start of the shift of what to prepare for that game, the number has come down steadily since xmas. Also he used to be in there untill 75th minute ish, now he is done before the start of the 2nd half.

Interesting read and it echoes what I hear a*** friends. I work globally so I’m not one who can claim attendance but I cut my teeth starting in the boys end at 9 yrs old and attended games home and away until I departed UK shores aged 28 yrs old. I an old fodder now and wonder if my kids despise me because they were brought up with BORO flowing in there veins. Probably not we had some great times and bought shirts every year baring the last two. I still announce myself as a BORO lad and proud to be as well but it’s hard to say when your chocking in tears and spitting the words out. By the looks on some faces It does bring some sympathy, the polite, ah, and pat on the back.

I kinda feel like whatever the price is, Gibbo feels that he'll get the exact same number of people buying season tickets the regular.. When people say about making the price cheaper and more people will come... I don't really think that'd be the case tbh.

But yeah, the prices have gone up this year haven't they? I can't tell tbh cos I can't remember what I paid last year..! looks pretty similar though tbh.

Anyway, up the Pulis!

I kinda feel like whatever the price is, Gibbo feels that he'll get the exact same number of people buying season tickets the regular.. When people say about making the price cheaper and more people will come... I don't really think that'd be the case tbh.

But yeah, the prices have gone up this year haven't they? I can't tell tbh cos I can't remember what I paid last year..! looks pretty similar though tbh.

Anyway, up the Pulis!

Yeah tbh