oneBoro Forum

The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#3)

The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#3)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Greatest Player to be given the Boro #3 squad number?

• Derek Whyte
    • Dean Gordon
    • Franck Queudrue
    • George Friend

#2 Winner: Luke Young

Polish_20200429_154957609.thumb.jpg.1c705e688472129e20ebf480fd20bb7d.jpg

Polish_20200430_092808738.thumb.jpg.c623df4eccc8717513834682826ac88b.jpg

Next up, #3s! Your candidates:

Derek Whyte
A 5 year stint at Boro overseeing the revolution or eras from Ayresome Park to the Riverside, and the enormous effect of tbe Robbo era. Not the most flash or fashionable of full backs, but did a good job. Very dependable.

Dean Gordon
Spent 4 years at the Riverside - an experienced Premier League left back who played a part in some big Boro memories. Scored a cracking volley in that 'exposing' 3-2 win at Old Trafford!

Franck Queudrue
The most exotic of the choices - and one the fans adored. Scoring 2 mins into a debut against Sunderland is always going to be a good catalyst for that! French Franck played a part in winning us our firstbtrophy, and thag night i. Eindhoven. A Boro legend who loved us as much as we loved him.

George Friend
Gorgeous George. A contender for the best £100k Boro have spent? Certainly in recent years. A player with little excitement surrounding his arrival who went from strength to strength, became a fan favourite, and was a key part of Karanka's side which got us back to the Premier League. Top bloke too.

Voting closes at 12pm tomorrow. UTB!

This is more difficult. I loved Franck and the fact that he did it in the Prem wins it over Friend for me. I feel that Gordon could maybe have been better than both if he hadn't had that huge injury. Don't think he ever really recovered from that. I might be a bit wrong though as it was a time when there weren't as many Boro games to see here.

1 minute ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Are you having Ziege as left winger? It's a tough one who's more handsome George or Franck.

I'll probably go Franck edges it on the fact he was so good in the air and was a mainstay during our golden years. If he had pace he would have been at one of the top clubs.

It's based around squad numbers mate - same as the Super 6 votes - as opposed to positions.

Example - Woody will be up for #8!

36 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Just watched Derek Whyte make a tremendous recovery in today's watchalong, never seen him before I don't think

He was a good servant for us. Not the most cultured player, but remember watching him at Ayresome Park and he was always very dependable. 

Watching the game myself - forget just how special Ayresome Park was. It was a dump, aye. But a dump with a great atmosphere!

• Like 1

Franck Queudrue by an absolute country mile in my opinion. Dean Gordon second. Friend has been great for us in our Championship years, but miles off the standard of Franck.

Franck Queudrue, no question. Lovely bloke too. Once served him when I worked at Virgin Megastores, had a brief chat with him and he went on his way.

About a week later went to the cinema with my missus, saw Franck and his wife waiting to go into the same screen as us and he remembered my name and called me over for another chat! 

(He bought the boxset of Roots, if anyone is interested lol)

I thought Vladimir Kinder would have worn the number 3 shirt in his time.. but upon research I found out he wore 7 and 17. Oh and he is apparently still playing at the age of 51!

Franck Queudrue for me @ 3. Tough competition though. 

@Denzel Zanzibar - Class story that like! Met a good few back in the day, never Franck though. Schwarzer was a nice bloke. Met Beck just moments after he'd signed his contract and couldn't speak English!

@Jimmy - With you on that. Friend has been great, but only the one season in the Prem. Queudrue did it for us in the top flight for years, and Dean Gordon was an inspired signing prior to his injury.

@BearSmog - I was fond of Kinder! Bit of a cult hero. There's a chance he might feature at #17...