oneBoro Forum

The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#4)

The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#4)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest player to be given the #4 squad number for Boro?

• Steve Vickers
    • Ugo Ehiogu
    • Dani Ayala
    • George Friend

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/02/2020 at 01:30 PM

#3 Winner: Franck Queudrue

Polish_20200430_101447731.thumb.jpg.3de60f026e9508afbf974c2838e42014.jpg

Polish_20200501_070114894.thumb.jpg.97f3e8f2ec9f46084148c8eb0a337c5a.jpg

Next up, #4. Your contenders:

Steve Vickers
Spent 8 years at the Boro, winning the Player of the Year award in his debut season after signing from Tranmere Rovers for £700k. Another contender for the Greatest Squad who saddled the change of eras from Ayresome Park to The Riverside. An almost permanent fixture in the side through both of the Robson promotions.

Ugo Ehiogu
A towering, commanding centre back, but not without a little skill and flair to boot. Pacy, exceptional aerial ability, strong in the tackle, Ugo was a defender ahead of his time. Signed by Steve McClaren for £8m, Ugo was beloved of Boro fans, and was the gentlest, kindest man you'd ever meet off the pitch too. "A tremendous player, and an even better man." RIP, Ugo.

Dani Ayala
A mainstay and lynchpin in the Boro defence for the last 7 years. In hindsight, and absolute bargain at £350k - with his aerial ability important at both ends of the pitch. Has grown more cultured in his game he's matured, and has consistently been one of the best centre backs in the Championship for many, many years.

George Friend
Gorgeous George is back for a second go! A contender for the best £100k Boro have spent? Certainly in recent years. A player with little excitement surrounding his arrival who went from strength to strength, became a fan favourite, and was a key part of Karanka's side which got us back to the Premier League. Top bloke too.

As I put this one up a little later, voting closes at 2:30pm tomorrow. UTB!

I didn't end up seeing too much of Ugo with me getting involved from 04/05 onwards and he was out of the team a lot to Riggott. But I don't think there's much doubt he's a better all-round player than Ayala has been. Got to be Ugo.

Aye, I genuinely think that, when fit, Ugo was arguably a better player than Southgate. Shame that he was injured quite so much, otherwise he'd have been a key player for England too I reckon. 

And aye, Smogster - Jesus... Imagine what could've been with Southgate, Ehiogu, Emerson, Juninho, Ravanelli et al.in the same squad... 😳

I still remember when we signed Ugo. I was absolutely buzzing. I loved him from his Villa days. Then he got injured on his debut v Charlton away i think. I was sooooo gutted. Remember constantly checking teletext to see how long he was out for. Top player. The way he Southgate complimented each other was a joy. RIP big man.

Totally agree with the comments about Ugo and a realist as well.

When Daniel was younger I took him to an away game at Fratton Park where we gave an abysmal performance but at least Ugo came over to him and apologised for the way we had played and took off the most sweated up top known to man, it was dripping, and gave it to him.

This same shirt is framed and hangs up in Teddy's bedroom now and you can still see the sweat marks

• Like 1