The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#5)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #5?

• Nigel Pearson
    • Gianluca Festa
    • Chris Riggott
    • David Wheater

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/2020 at 11:00 AM

#4 Winner: Ugo Egiogu

Polish_20200501_225056006.thumb.jpg.67d825ad20038f8d43385b7cdf9089c7.jpg

Polish_20200501_225554574.thumb.jpg.bcc6b1bea92178bba8b0a001db4a54db.jpg

Next up, #5! Your contenders:

Nigel Pearson

Captain Marvel. A brilliant servant of the club who lead by example in some of the most important years. Signed by Robbo for £750k - a strong, commanding centre half, good in the air, and a brilliant captain.

Gianluca Festa

A feist centre back or right back, Festa joined us in the middle of a relegation battle to add steel to a leaky defence. Just a shame we didn't have him from the start of the season. Tough in the tackle, brilliant positioning and tactical awareness, chipping in with a few goals too. A passionate player, and the kind Boro fans always take to.

Chris Riggott

Another player who could've been even better if not for injuries. It takes some player to keep Ugo Ehiogu out of the side, and Riggott was that man. An important player at both ends of the pitch during our incredible UEFA Cup run, Riggott was a commanding aerial presence, and had a brilliant ability to read the game.

David Wheater

A Boro born and bred lad making the England squad is always a brilliant thing to see, even if he didn't play. Wheater was a cultured centre back as a Boro youngster - good on the ball, strong in the air, a demanding leader of the back line. A shame it never worked out for him after moving to Bolton. 

Voting closes at 12pm tomorrow. UTB!

Tough one this one could pick any of the 4. If Festa was here at the start or the 96 season and/or Pearson was fit for it we would have stayed up. Riggott was great and was probably unlucky not to get and England call up when he was playing regularly. Wheater should have had a better career than he has had I think he got given too much responsibility put on him after losing Huth and Woodgate. Plus I was his teammate at school when he was just unbelievable.

I think Festa gets it as him and the number 5 come to mind first when thinking of Boro players that have had that number.

• Like 2

Aye - 4 great players, in a Boro shirt at least. Was a tight call between Pearson and Festa for me, but went for Festa because he was always a joy to watch. Riggott played some phenomenal games for us like... Great defender.

He was close to signing for Liverpool before we got him I remember. A proper talent. Shame about Malcolm Christie's injuries too because he was a real player when fit. 

It's only been the last two for me as they're the only ones I seen. And I remember Riggott being terrific. I wasn't Wheater's biggest fan in all honesty.

Riggott was very under rated in sense he is not praised as much as other CBs we had over the years but he was an excellent signing and servant.

Him and Robert Huth imo were two excellent defenders for us who are sometimes forgotten about.