The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#6)  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #6

• Emerson
    • Gaizka Mendieta
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Ben Gibson

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/04/2020 at 11:00 AM

#5 Winner: Gianluca FestaPolish_20200502_175721645.thumb.jpg.934730fa31a470d160ee1347684e7af0.jpgPolish_20200502_180125273.thumb.jpg.9f9abf2522e96745b6281f20e155dd0e.jpg

Your #6 Contenders:

Emerson
He brough Samba to Teesside! an exceptionally talented footballer, who quite often made us have to pinch ourselves that he actually was playing for the Boro... Scored some incredible goals, with some incredible celebrations - he was a midfield general with a strong engine, he was a determined player who demanded much of those around him. What a talent!

Gaizka Mendieta
Another 'pinch me' moment of Boro history! Mendieta became one of our favourite adopted sons. He oozed natural ability, flair, skill, and could pick a pass from nothing. Always exciting to watch, and he grew to adore the club and its fans, who reciprocated that affection. A true legend of the Boro.

Gareth Southgate
What a list, eh!? Southgate was a true gentleman off the pitch, and marshalled Boro through many of our most treasured moments. The firat Boro captain to lift a major trophy. The first Boro captain to lead us out in a European Final. An sensational defender who spent the peak of his career in a Boro jersey, always giving 110% whilst showcasing his immense talent.

Ben Gibson
The local boy who learnt his trade watching the likea of the above represent his hometown club. He's proven irreplacable since leaving for Burnley. A true leader, especially for one so young, who demands the same passion and workrate from any who played alongside him. Gibbo is fondly remembered for his efforts in that solitary Premiershop campaign, and theres hope we may see him at The Riverside once again...

Ridiculously difficult this one.

I went for Emerson, but only as he was my personal favourite. I think Southgate has definitely been the best player for us out the list.
Loved Mendieta too, and Gibson did well for us. Very tough!

Very tough one. I've gone mendietta. Think I would have him (in his prime) over the others. Especially if Emerson is going to be doing his disappearing trick in this newly formed squad 😄 

This is truly difficult. Emerson is arguably the best player to play for us during that season although his longevity and his disappearing probably effects the choice.

Mendieta was one of my favourite players and couldn't believe we signed him but unfortunately an injury and being put on the right plus being frozen out at the end of his time here meant we didnt see the very best of him.

Gibson has been a great servant and perhaps if he comes back as has been rumoured this view may change but compared to the other 3 I think he is behind them.

I went for Southgate though he captained our best period winning our first trophy and captained us in a Euro final. I think he still had a couple more years left in him when he took the managers job. The times I met him he always came across as a classy person and I think that has shone through whilst at England. 

Think it’s a bit unfair it use squad numbers as Southgate and Gibson are centrehalfs where Mendieta and Emerson are midfielders should have used , positions ie Right back, left wing etc. I went for Mendi just for pure class

9 minutes ago, Barticus said:

Think it’s a bit unfair it use squad numbers as Southgate and Gibson are centrehalfs where Mendieta and Emerson are midfielders should have used , positions ie Right back, left wing etc. I went for Mendi just for pure class

Take it up with Super 6 🤷🏻‍♂️

Did Mendieta wear no.6 for us? Thought he was no.14.

There is only one winner when it comes to considering a boro no.6 imo and that is Southgate.

8 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Did Mendieta wear no.6 for us? Thought he was no.14.

There is only one winner when it comes to considering a boro no.6 imo and that is Southgate.

As I said in the opening post for all this - it's the best 4 players to ever wear the shirt, and those who don't win the first vote but are still amongst the best for other numbers (álá Friend with 3 & 4) will get a second chance. It's not purely based on when they wore that number. 

Mendieta wore #6 in 06/07 and 07/08.

Edited by Snowblind
  • Like 1

Went with Southgate. Such a classy player for us and never let us down. Mendieta was a class player but never reached the hights of his earlier career. Shame he wasn't given the playmaker role in the centre with some quick wingers on either side.

Yeah, Mendi was originally #14 but changed to #6. Southgate is my captain to beat all captains and only behind Woodgate in terms of defensive skill, and even if Mendi didn't show back up later, Southgate would be there for me.