The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#7)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #7?

• Robbie Mustoe
    • Nick Barmby
    • George Boateng
    • Grant Leadbitter

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2020 at 11:00 AM

#6 Winner - Gareth Southgate

Polish_20200503_164117667.thumb.jpg.d7efddbd2749a30fa23c335ccbb825d6.jpgPolish_20200503_165925808.thumb.jpg.012f66f6bbe0e14431b7a8f172424a4d.jpg

Your #7 Contenders:

Robbie Mustoe
A contender for Mr. Middlesbrough? Signed in 1990 for £375k. 12 years, 365 appearances, 3 wembley cup finals, 3 promotions. A true midfield general with an incredble engine, and a hugely important player in the rebuild after 1986.

Nick Barmby
In hindsight, arguably the signing which heralded in a new era of recruitment at Boro that lead to the likes of Juninho, Ranavelli, Emerson. A signing which seemed to indicate a club's transformation after liquidation just 9 years prior. Barmby joined us for £5m from Spurs, and set up the first goal at the Riverside.

George Boateng
Signed from Villa for £5m, Boateng was another vital player in the brightest period of this club's history. An absolute boss in midfield, Boateng was the centrepiece that McClaren build everything through. Our slides down the table whenever he was out injured are proof of just how vital he was to our system. 

Grant Leadbitter
Another player of unbelievable character and integrity who captained the Boro. Leadbitter was a true leader and an important lynchpin for Karanka to set his promotion winning side around. Grant made over 200 appearances for the Boro over 7 years, and is held is warm regard in Boro fans hearts.

Voting closes at 12pm tomorrow. UTB!

A tough one again. Robbie Mustoe - Mr Reliable, Leadbitter - great work ethic and servant.

But it's gotta be Boateng. So, so important for us in such a successful period for us. Underrated if anything.

Love Leadboots but George was the midfield general of my generation, at the top level and in Europe. Watching the Steaua game back the other week, after we changed the midfield around, he was arguably the best player on the pitch.

Its arguably the list of the underrated Boro players this one. What number is Hignett associated with out of interest (if the list is there) seem to think of him and the number 7 and Mustoe number 8 although could be completely wrong.

George out of the list for me. He was as good as it got outside the elite players in his position. Barmby could have been something special for us if we kept him that season. Leadbitter arguably our best bargain signing in the last few years.

4 hours ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Its arguably the list of the underrated Boro players this one. What number is Hignett associated with out of interest (if the list is there) seem to think of him and the number 7 and Mustoe number 8 although could be completely wrong.

George out of the list for me. He was as good as it got outside the elite players in his position. Barmby could have been something special for us if we kept him that season. Leadbitter arguably our best bargain signing in the last few years.

Higgy had two seasons with 21 - 05/06 and 06/07 - before taking 7 in 07/08.

Justice (Mustoe... soz 😅) had 3 seasons with 7, and one each with 6, 8 and 11!

Higgy definitely features for 21. He narrowly missed out on this one; thought he had a good chance at 21 and Mustoe has far more competition with all of his numbers! He'll feature in 8 by the look of it too.

Edited by Snowblind
  • Like 1

Yeah Boateng was probably our most important player during the McClaren era which is a pretty big compliment considering the talent he played with.  

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Oh god this was a difficult one as I absolutely loved Robbie Mustoe but it's got to be George Boateng, hasn't it?

That was my reaction too mate! Says something when Nick Barmby would be 4th on that list for me... The other 3 have been some of the most influential and important players I've seen in a Boro shirt.