The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#8)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #8?

• Robbie Mustoe
    • Paul Gascoigne
    • Christian Karembeu
    • Jonathan Woodgate

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2020 at 01:00 PM

#7 Winner - George Boateng

Polish_20200504_163515462.thumb.jpg.3a437ba25f329f1735ea8d83722790ea.jpgPolish_20200504_163702898.thumb.jpg.5ea30cf12d19deaa65654186172eb6f7.jpg

Your #8 Contenders:

Robbie Mustoe
Back again for a second go. Signed in 1990 for £375k. 12 years, 365 appearances, 3 wembley cup finals, 3 promotions. A true midfield general with an incredble engine, and a hugely important player in the rebuild after 1986.

Paul Gascoigne
Gazza. A mercurial talent. Always loved the game and played with a smile on his face. Signed by Robbo in a £3.4m deal, his time at Boro was a time time of great personal issue for Gazza. Alcoholism, depression, grief - he really went through the mire - but we did see flashes of his immense ability. 

Christian Karembeu
Another huge name to pull on thr Boro shirt. As did his Mrs too! Signed from Real Madrid for £2.1m, he's another player who's best football was behind him as he began to reach the twilight of his career, but we did see a few flashes of his playmaking brilliance.

Jonathan Woodgate
Local boy done good. From Nunthorpe School to Real Madrid. A brilliant defender who could've been among thr best in the world if it hadn't been for injuries during his time in Spain. Played just shy of 100 games for the Boro, and lead by example with his consistency, work rate, and his demands of those around him.

Due to my stupid brain, this poll will. Run until 2pm tomorrow. UTB!

I knew this was probably gonna come through the way it has and so I could only give it to Woodgate, as the best defender I've seen play for this club. I've never seen any of the others play for us, unfortunately. It was always gonna be tough to beat Woodgate, for me.

22 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I knew this was probably gonna come through the way it has and so I could only give it to Woodgate, as the best defender I've seen play for this club. I've never seen any of the others play for us, unfortunately. It was always gonna be tough to beat Woodgate, for me.

It's hard to argue with that. I actually changed my mind on a couple of occasions writing this.

We didnt get to see the best of Gazza for Boro you saw moments of brilliance he could pick out a pass and was great on the ball but I think fitness wise he wasn't at the level you'd have hoped.

Karembeu and his lovely wife who modelled the kits for us. He was a decent player but I think he wasn't here long enough.

It was a tough choice as Woodgate is arguably the best defender we have had. Mustoe was a great role model and our promotion seasons and Robbos years in the premier league he was great and think would have to be near the top of most underrated Boro players.  I'm going to pick Mustoe just based on his longevity and being part of such a great era.

• Like 1

Woodgate was good in spells but also injured a lot. 

Gazza was way past his best here and Karambeu wasn't great. 

He might have been the least talented of all the players above but Mustoe is my choice. His contribution to the club was head and shoulders above the others on this list, probably the most underrated player we've had at the Boro. 

• Like 2

It really annoyed me when Woodgate wore the no.8 shirt. There was just no reason. Just as there was no reason for Paul Ince to occupy the no.9 shirt for soo many seasons.

That said bar Southgate, i not seen a better defender at Boro than JW. His reading of the game was truly exceptional. Judy wosh he had a wore a traditional CBs number of 4, 5 or 6. Failing that anything after 11 

If were talking Gazza in his prime, it would have been him, but he was fairly forgettable for Boro.

I've gone Woodgate. We're going to have a more defensive team than the actual Boro!

For pure talent you can't really argue with Woodgate. Class player. Was torn between him and Mustoe though who was more important to Boro history but obviously a lesser talent football wise. Gazza and Karembeu didn't do enough for me to be in contention. 

Question though: We're doing a squad right, and not just the first 11?

Although Woodgate was undoubtedly a classy player, I wouldn’t say that he enjoyed his best days at Boro. He fell out with the club at 16 and moved to Leeds, which started a great career. When he finally got to Boro on loan he was a shadow of the player that he had been at Leeds and Newcastle.
When the club shelled out £7m for him to make the move permanent, he struggled and once Wheater over took him in the pecking order he asked to leave and went to Spurs. His second period at the club was in the twilight of his career and now we are saddled with him as manager. 

For me, he’s the least worthy choice out of the 4 and do we really want another central defender in the first 11?

• Like 1

Gone are the days where you have to play the numbers 1-11, BWS. 😉

Good job otherwise the likes of Gianfranco Zola wouldn't have got much of a look in!

15 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Good job otherwise the likes of Gianfranco Zola wouldn't have got much of a look in!

Dont think that would have been a bad thing for Boro!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Snowblind said:

Gone are the days where you have to play the numbers 1-11, BWS. 😉

Let’s just hope there aren’t any defensive cloggers that have worn the number 10 shirt, otherwise Juninho won’t get a look in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mostly midfielders and attackers coming up. There's a 3-4 with strong defender candidates in the remaining numbers I think. The striker choices are going to be tough...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Let’s just hope there aren’t any defensive cloggers that have worn the number 10 shirt, otherwise Juninho won’t get a look in. 

If Andre Bikey was #10, Juninho is gonna have to come in at #25 or #23!

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Mostly midfielders and attackers coming up. There's a 3-4 with strong defender candidates in the remaining numbers I think. The striker choices are going to be tough...

Do we get to pick a manager to try and mould this lot into a team?

When I think of #8, I think of Robbie Mustoe. I have to go with him as I shafted him on his other number.

Woodgate definitely didn't have his best years with us and I thought the whole point of this was to pick the players from their time here, not their achievements elsewhere?

Of course if it's all just the young whippersnappers on here voting no wonder Woody is in the lead 🙄

• Like 1