The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#9)  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #9?

• Marco Branca
    • Jimmy-Flloyd Hasselbaink
    • Massimo Maccarone
    • Mark Viduka

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/2020 at 11:00 AM

#8 Winner - Jonathan Woodgate

Polish_20200506_144124426.jpg.7c763110197f0df1e7293d4cab5f2d0b.jpg

Polish_20200506_144244463.thumb.jpg.25bbbd4bc598d9c766dbf26f40300e90.jpg

Your #9 Contenders:

Marco Branca
What a talented lad this guy was. Signed fron Inter, hes a big of a cult hero with Boro fans. Looking at the stats you'll see who only pkayed 12 games for Boro, scoring 9 goals. But that doesn't tell the full story of how important he was in getting us back in the Premiership. The Uwe Fuchs of that generation!

Jimmy-Flloyd Hasselbaink
One of the best Bosman transfers in the Premier League? An immensely talented striker with power and technique in bucket loads, he was a key member of those crazy, wonderful European Football nights. Some phenomenal goals in his Boro times too!

Massimo Maccarone
Another who was instrumental in getting us to Eindhoven. That diving header has to be up there as one of many Boro fans favourite goals of all time. Signed for £8.15m, Maccarone never really realises the entirity of his immense potential at Boro, but is a hero in the eyes of many of the Boro faithful. Can't read his name with Ali screaming it in my mind either...

Mark Viduka
3 of the UEFA Cup 4 in one vote... Sorry! Viduka is without doubt a contender for the best finisher to ever oull on a Boro shirt. His technique was otherworldly, and hisnreading if the game second to none. How different our trajectory could've been if he stayed a little longer...

Voting closes at 12pm tomorrow. UTB!

It's got to be Viduka this one. On his day he was as good as they come.

Hasselbaink was the biggest surprise signing I have witnessed for Boro as I think we signed him the day after Viduka. He scored some absolute gems for us but I think Viduka edged it.

Maccarone is just a legend for those Europa goals. I think McLaren shouldn't have continued to play him when he was struggling for form and his confidence was shot by the time he was taken out of the team. I dont think we ever saw Maccarone at his very best.

Branca was an amazing player as I said in other Boro stuff watch the 97/98 season on youtube/Facebook you will see how good. He got a really bad knee injury which was a shame as I would have liked to have seen him in the premier league. I think Boros relationship soured massively with him as well I think it may have even gone to court. As snow blind says he probably was the main reason we got promoted that season. 

Viduka is the better player. But Hasselbaink I enjoyed watching more, if that makes sense? Always followed Jimmy even before he was a Boro player... Still not voted. 😅

Branca was one of those players who made you think anything was possible... Loved him. 

Out of that list, I'll have to go Viduka. Again this time, this is the best striker I've seen at Boro. Incredible hold-up play, especially his use of his body and feet, could turn on a sixpence, I loved watching him at his best. I'd say Jimmy was probably a better finisher, certainly with both his feet. But Viduka was an all-rounder with something a little bit special that came out just often enough to bring the best out of some less good players too. Still sticks with me, that feeling when we had it confirmed he left for Newcastle.

6 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

He does, but he's never played for us in the Premier League 😉

Oh I had no idea that those were the rules, any reason for that?
We might be struggling for options when we get to the higher squad numbers. 

Edit. Did Marco Branca play for us in the Premier League?

Edited by BillyWoofs_shinpad
17 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Edit. Did Marco Branca play for us in the Premier League?

Nice bit of trivia... He played 23 minutes of Premier League football for us!

It's not narrowed down to those who played for us in the Premier League - but those who did have an obvious advantage over those who haven't. In this case, Branca got the nod over others because this is the only number he could get in for (and, frankly, didn't have a chance with!), whereas the others have another shot elsewhere.

42 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Nice bit of trivia... He played 23 minutes of Premier League football for us!

It's not narrowed down to those who played for us in the Premier League - but those who did have an obvious advantage over those who haven't. In this case, Branca got the nod over others because this is the only number he could get in for (and, frankly, didn't have a chance with!), whereas the others have another shot elsewhere.

Ah that’s good, I didn’t think it was, I, looking forward to Killen, Kamara and Boyd making well deserved appearances on this thread.