The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#13)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #13?

• Gary Walsh
    • Marlon Beresford
    • Dimi Konstantopoulos
    • Tomás Mejías

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/2020 at 11:00 AM

#12 Winner - Emanuel Pogatetz

Polish_20200509_160651515.thumb.jpg.f0e1d739592160a8f1041a177a1aad27.jpgPolish_20200509_181356948.jpg.a4d485a69f4f2f1f8885f425c1c6985c.jpg

Your #13 Candidates:

Gary Walsh
Bought by Robbo in the summer of '95 for £600k, the former United man was a regular between the sticks when we finished 12th in the inaugural Premiership season. Walsh was a solid stopper who made some key saves during that season, which could've been even more special if we'd not had the awful winter run.

Marlon Beresford
Signed after he-who-shall-not-be-named conceded 8 against Forest and QPR, Beresford came in and instantly reignited Boro's push for a return to the Premier League, keeping 3 in clean sheets in his first 3 games. Opportunities were limited once Schwarzer returned to fitness, but without Beresford we could have been up to 7 points shorter in the league, and missed out on that all important promotion. Most likely to Sunderland, no less...

Dimi Konstantopoulos
The honorary Teessider. Loved the area, loved the club, made some vital stops during his 6 years with Boro. Originally signed as pure back-up and with little hopes of playing, it took 7 months for Dimi to make a league appearance - but his showing persuaded Karanka he was good enough to be his first choice stopper - a role he retained for 2 more seasons until losing his place to Victor Valdes after promotion to the Premiership. 

Tomás Mejías
Spanish Keeper. Broke his finger. Heroically saved penalties from Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young... That's it. That's all I have.

Not that tricky for me given I've only seen the latter 2. Dimi put in some top class performances under Karanka, sometimes when he had very little to do all game because of the strength of the unit in front of him winning every ball into the box and getting their foot on everything, he'd still pull off some class saves. He wasn't the best keeper in he world, he did have his weaknesses, but at our best during those few years, we saw the best of him, no doubt about that. Coming from 4th choice to 1st choice was some personal victory in and of itself for him.

7 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Not that tricky for me given I've only seen the latter 2. Dimi put in some top class performances under Karanka, sometimes when he had very little to do all game because of the strength of the unit in front of him winning every ball into the box and getting their foot on everything, he'd still pull off some class saves. He wasn't the best keeper in he world, he did have his weaknesses, but at our best during those few years, we saw the best of him, no doubt about that. Coming from 4th choice to 1st choice was some personal victory in and of itself for him.

He also commanded his box extremely well which no doubt had a considerable influence on further strengthening our defence. The best boro keeper I've seen in coming out to claim crosses/long balls (I'm too young to make a proper judgement regarding Schwarzer on that but I'll assume he was decent at it too)

2 hours ago, Snowblind said:

Always though Beresford was one of our better deputy keepers. Crossley tops that list, easily.

Dimi wins this though. Not really a competition. 

Yeah. Even I went for Dimi and I’m a contrary old bugger. 

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Yeah. Even I went for Dimi and I’m a contrary old bugger. 

I’m just surprised you didn’t mention an attacking player😘

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Walsh was the best out of that lot but I went for Dimi because I'm sentimental. 

Makes my job easier... I have a Dimi headshot with a transparent background ready. The Walsh one I'd have to edit out. 🙄

Seen all 4 play and it's got to be Dimi. To go from being what, 4th choice keeper to 1st choice purely on hard work and merit and then be an integral part of that promotion winning team?

Yeah, got to be Dimi and it still pisses me off he wasn't given a PL game.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Seen all 4 play and it's got to be Dimi. To go from being what, 4th choice keeper to 1st choice purely on hard work and merit and then be an integral part of that promotion winning team?

Yeah, got to be Dimi and it still pisses me off he wasn't given a PL game.

Indeed and what a waste of time that was, am still irked about that season even now

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

Indeed and what a waste of time that was, am still irked about that season even now

But we had Valdés, an absolutely outstanding keeper, why would Dimi get a game? 
It’s not kids football where everyone gets a chance. Dimi was part of the squad, but not needed, I’m sure he contributed to the season on the training pitch, but he was our 3rd choice keeper.

5 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

But we had Valdés, an absolutely outstanding keeper, why would Dimi get a game? 
It’s not kids football where everyone gets a chance. Dimi was part of the squad, but not needed, I’m sure he contributed to the season on the training pitch, but he was our 3rd choice keeper.

Yeah I understood why Dimi wasn't playing, he was looking slow on his feet the season before that. 

• Like 1