The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#14)  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #14?

• Curtis Fleming
    • Geremi
    • Gaizka Mendieta
    • Robert Huth

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/2020 at 11:00 AM

#13 Winner - Dimi Konstantopoulos

Polish_20200510_123229049.thumb.jpg.d941323d9d8dea02dc8f453836cba613.jpgPolish_20200511_112557162.jpg.6ab59c83a5cbebd075fba95bff698f8d.jpg

Your #14 Candidates:

Curtis Fleming
Back for another chance! A stalwart in the Boro team for a decade, Fleming is synonymous with the Right Back position at both Ayresome Park and the Riverside. A true gent of the game with a lot of love for the club.

Geremi
Signed on loan from Real Madrid the 02/03 season, Geremi was a gifted, versatile player with technical ability in bucket loads. A stocky, strong, combative, midfielder who could hit a sweet free-kick. His one against Liverpool was a particular highlight! A fantastic player, but if we'd signed him permanently, would the deal for the next candidate have happened...?

Gaizka Mendieta
Another opportunity for Mendi after narrowly losing #6 to Southgate! Mendieta became one of our favourite adopted sons. He oozed natural ability, flair, skill, and could pick a pass from nothing. Always exciting to watch, and he grew to adore the club and its fans, who reciprocated that affection. A true legend of the Boro.

Robert Huth
A player we believed in so badly we kept tracking him after a failed medical. Thank God we did. What a defender. Strong, dominating, a born leader. Imagine the level he'd have been at without his injury record? A theme to many former Boro stars...

Voting closes at 12pm tomorrow. UTB!

We've really had some good defenders over the years haven't we. Can't see past Mendieta here although individually Huth and Geremi certainly wore the number 14 shirt with class too.

Wow that is a tough one. We have enough defenders to disregard Huth and Fleming. 

Mendieta was a class act but we didnt utilise his strengths enough. Geremi was outstanding in the season he was with us but like Zenden and Ziege made the error of going to a bigger club (as daft as it sounds) and became a bit part player rather than flourishing at a team that was heading in a positive direction. 

I was going to pick Geremi forgetting that Mendieta had 14 as his shirt number. So have decided to pick Mendieta based on coming and staying with us. 

I was such a huge fan of Huth. And as someone pointed out it just goes to show how many good centre backs we have had over the years given Huth sometime gets overlooked.

Geremi was brillant too and I was very sad he went to Chelsea but as @Snowblind points out would we have got Mendi if Geremi had stayed? Albeit I would loved to have seen a midfield 3 of Geremi, Boateng and Mendieta in a 4.3.3 with the TLF behind Viduka and one of JFH/Yak. Given Viduka exceptional talent at playing with his back to goal i think him and Juninho would have been really great together. Anyhow, sorry, getting carried away with a fantasy of mine so back to the topic..

I will choose Mendi given he contributed more than Geremi due to staying longer.