oneBoro Forum

The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#15)

The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#15)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #15?

• Neil Maddison
    • Danny Mills
    • Ray Parlour
    • Mohamed Shawky (If you click this, you're a Mackem)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/13/2020 at 11:00 AM

#14 Winner - Gaizka Mendieta

Polish_20200511_171120227.thumb.jpg.907e82670f0336528a4749bc55a93924.jpg

Polish_20200511_171306378.jpg.ce295d337ad3166cd013c633e0e226c8.jpg

Your #15 Contenders:

Neil Maddison
Still associated with Boro via BBC Tees, the Darlo born midfielder made 55 appearances for Boro, scoring 4 times. Signed from Southampton for £250k, Maddo helped us to promotion in his debut season in 97/98, and was a solid and dependable performer whenever called upon.

Danny Mills
A quality England international right back who only spent a years loan on Teesside, but featured heavily with some good performances - helping us lift our first major trophy at the tail end if the deal too. 

Ray Parlour
After 12 years of football with Arsenal, The Romford Pelé came to The Riverside and was a real Midfield General in his debut season in 04/05. A very solid, consistent, dependable player who always did more than people see at first glance. Tactically astute, always able to pick a pass and find pockets of space even in the most congested of midfields, Parlour was a real leader and old-school midfielder who gave a valuable contribution during his time at Boro.

Mohamed Shawky
It was this or Tony Vidmar. The End.

1 hour ago, Snowblind said:

#14 Winner - Gaizka Mendieta

Polish_20200511_171120227.thumb.jpg.907e82670f0336528a4749bc55a93924.jpg

Polish_20200511_171306378.jpg.ce295d337ad3166cd013c633e0e226c8.jpg

Your #15 Contenders:

Neil Maddison
Still associated with Boro via BBC Tees, the Darlo born midfielder made 55 appearances for Boro, scoring 4 times. Signed from Southampton for £250k, Maddo helped us to promotion in his debut season in 97/98, and was a solid and dependable performer whenever called upon.

Danny Mills
A quality England international right back who only spent a years loan on Teesside, but featured heavily with some good performances - helping us lift our first major trophy at the tail end if the deal too. 

Ray Parlour
After 12 years of football with Arsenal, The Romford Pelé came to The Riverside and was a real Midfield General in his debut season in 04/05. A very solid, consistent, dependable player who always did more than people see at first glance. Tactically astute, always able to pick a pass and find pockets of space even in the most congested of midfields, Parlour was a real leader and old-school midfielder who gave a valuable contribution during his time at Boro.

Mohamed Shawky
It was this or Tony Vidmar. The End.

Possibly the weakest squad number we ever had. I gone for Danny Mills. He was easily the best performer out the 4. Honourable mention to Maddo. He did a solid job for us. Parlour. I dont recall having a stand out game for us but i could be wrong.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Possibly the weakest squad number we ever had. I gone for Danny Mills. He was easily the best performer out the 4. Honourable mention to Maddo. He did a solid job for us. Parlour. I dont recall having a stand out game for us but i could be wrong.

I think you may be. 

5 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I think you may be. 

Haha think i was still upset TLF was sold. Took me a few years to get over...

9 hours ago, Snowblind said:

No idea what the *** to do if they're tied... Howay lads, sort it for me. 😅

Whoever was the cheaper option/finically Sounds therefore we got more bang for the buck. 🤔

28 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Whoever was the cheaper option/finically Sounds therefore we got more bang for the buck. 🤔

A free transfer Vs. a one year loan? 😅

I'll see if I can dig up anything stats related.

I'd be enclined to say our "own" player vs. a borrowed player. Or maybe the final outcome at the end of the season for the team ie. league position, cup etc.

4 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I'd be enclined to say our "own" player vs. a borrowed player. Or maybe the final outcome at the end of the season for the team ie. league position, cup etc.

Owned vs. Loaned - Parlour Wins

Highest PL Finish - Parlour Wins (7th, 04/05)

FA Cup - Parlour Wins (Semi Finals, 05/06)

League Cup - Mills Wins (Winners, 03/04)

Good call, BD. Any other stats to consider? Parlour obviously wins on the UEFA Cup front, but is it fair to consider that given we weren't in Europe when Mills was here, but he helped win us the trophy to get there?

2 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Owned vs. Loaned - Parlour Wins

Highest PL Finish - Parlour Wins (7th, 04/05)

FA Cup - Parlour Wins (Semi Finals, 05/06)

League Cup - Mills Wins (Winners, 03/04)

Good call, BD. Any other stats to consider? Parlour obviously wins on the UEFA Cup front, but is it fair to consider that given we weren't in Europe when Mills was here, but he helped win us the trophy to get there?

I'd probably say that winning the Cup sways it for Mills. I'd take winning a cup at Wembley over finishing 7th any time.