The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#18)  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #18?

• Massimo Maccarone
    • Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink
    • Julio Arca
    • Cristhian Stuani

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/16/2020 at 11:00 AM

#17 Winner - Tuncay Şanli

Polish_20200514_231435625.jpg.42c323305a40ad6c06024204d1d548a0.jpgPolish_20200515_004539316.jpg.c577848fb69c39f8cebd339072bbdcb9.jpg

Your #18 Candidates

Massimo Maccarone
Another chance for "Il Gladiatore!" Maccarone was instrumental in getting us to Eindhoven. That diving header has to be up there as one of many Boro fans favourite goals of all time. Signed for £8.15m, Maccarone never really realised the entirety of his immense potential at Boro, but is a hero in the eyes of many of the Boro faithful. Can't read his name with Ali screaming it in my mind either...

Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink
JFH back for one last bite of the cherry! An immensely talented striker with power and technique in bucket loads, he was a key member of those crazy, wonderful European Football nights. Some phenomenal goals in his Boro times too!

Julio Arca
Signed by Southgate for £1.75m, Arca was originally seen as a long term solution at LB after Queudrue's move to Fulham. After an early injury and the emergence of Andrew Taylor from the academy, it was playing in Centre Midfield where Arca found the most joy at Boro. Julio gave some strong performances over the 06/07 and 07/08 seasons before missing 2 months. Sadly injuries started to take their toll, but Arca showed much promise in the earlier stages of his Boro career in midfield. 

Cristhian Stuani
The Cult Hero of that Karanka side. A striker, played on the Right Wing, who scored many important goals for Boro - including the £170m goal against Brighton which got us back into the Premier League. His record in La Liga after leaving Boro shows what a natural Centre Forward he is. Could he have made the difference if played up top in the Premiership? Can the OneBoro Pro-Stuani-clique do enough to get him in The Greatest Squad!?

Voting closes at 12pm tomorrow. UTB!

Jimmy wins this for me. Did it for us at the highest level. Just loved how ruthless he was when goal was in sight. Pure goalscorer.

Massimo, whilst on whole failed to live up to expectation, will go down in our history for his contribution in Europe. In same way Job has for his contribution in Carling Cup.

Stuani is also a legend. Very intelligent footballer. If he had been played in his rightful position then i have no doubt he would have contributed even more than he did. Albeit what he did contribute won't be forgotten

Julio was also a very tidy player. Technically very good in middle of park despite being bought in to replace Franck at LB which was a ridiculous decision at the time. Unfortunately for him, he shared the no.18 shirt with some tough competition.

• Like 2

Finally coming to a group of players I know all of and like all of. But yes, it has to be Jimmy, his quality far surpasses that of the others and I don't think any of the others could complain about that statement.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

The clique members are a bit thin on the ground, but I’m not surprised that Jimmy Floyd is in the lead, I voted for him in the number 9 poll ahead of Viduka, so I can’t complain. 

I'm still here... PSC forever! ✊🏻

• Like 1

Jimmy. For the simple fact he scored a late winner (May have been an equaliser) against the magpies which was the most blatant handball you’d ever see. 
even when asked into the post match interview wether it was a legit goal or not he replied with a wry grin “the Ref give it so it’sa goal” 

(this is drawn from memory so it could be inaccurate! 

39 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Jimmy. For the simple fact he scored a late winner (May have been an equaliser) against the magpies which was the most blatant handball you’d ever see. 
even when asked into the post match interview wether it was a legit goal or not he replied with a wry grin “the Ref give it so it’sa goal” 

(this is drawn from memory so it could be inaccurate! 

I think it was his debut for us that game.