The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#20)  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #20?

• Alun Armstrong
    • Doriva
    • Aiyegbeni Yakubu
    • Patrick Bamford

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/18/2020 at 11:00 AM

#19 Winner - Stewart Downing

Polish_20200517_014142712.thumb.jpg.ded6671364b07e84c297745246756891.jpgPolish_20200517_081851878.jpg.1bc76ca58d46386247c224a6623b99e2.jpg

Your #20 Contenders:

Alun Armstrong
Signed by Robbo from Stockport County for £1.6m in February 1998, and went on to score 7 goals in 7 starts to begin his Boro career with a bang. A debut goal against Sunderland. A brace in a 6-0 win against fellow promotion hopefuls Swindon Town. Another brace in the 4-1 win over Oxford which got us promoted back to the big time. Armstrong was a natural finisher, and one who scored some vitally important goals amidst far grander names in the Boro squad. 

Doriva
Back for another crack! Brazilians are usually full of flair and tricks. Not this one. Doriva was a proper workhorse of a holding midfielder, signed on a recommendation by none other than Juninho. Another of those solid, stoic, dependable midfielders who go undervalued at Boro, Doriva was a part of some of our biggest successes, yet rarely gets spoken of. A non nonsense, strong, tough tackling mid - Doriva was an important back-up for Boateng before staking a claim for his own place, clocking up 79 Premier League appearances. Not bad for £180k...

Aiyegbeni Yakubu
Needs no introduction. What a fantastic striker this lad was. Power. Technique. Determination in bucket loads. Yakubu bulldozed his way through the Premier League, but with a deft ability to find pockets of space and couple it with clinical finishing. That performance in the 3-0 win against Mourinho's Chelsea will likely go down as one of the greatest individual performances by a Boro player ever in the history of the club. 

Patrick Bamford
Another chance for Paddy. The spearhead of Karanka's 14/15 promotion chasing side. Versatile, good on the ball and with a knack for finding little pockets of space, Bamford was the most natural goal scorer we'd seen in a Boro shirt for quite some time. His 17 goals that season were vitally important. Just a shame we couldn't get passed Norwich and take him to the Premiership with us back then. Could things have been different?

Voting closes at 12pm tomorrow. UTB!

Yakubu wins this if we are talking about best player. He scored goals at highest level at a rate of 1 in 3. The other 2 strikers contribution will never be dismissed by me but it was not at the level of Yaks.

Special mention to Doriva. If there was a poll on best free transfer in our history i reckon he woukd be right up there challenging for best spot. He was like a Brazilian Mustoe in what he did went unnoticed at times

As some people had gripes about the way Ziege left us. My biggest one was with Yakubu and his attitude in the game I think it was Wigan he clearly had no interest in the game. It's a reluctant vote for him although I really liked the other 3 nominations but they just didnt play at that the level Yakubu could when he showed some commitment.

Armstrong was one I think could have made an impact at the top level but injuries and lack of opportunities cost him. Bamford needed a chance at the top level but hasn't had enough of one 

Doriva goes on the underrated list.

I loved Alun Armstrong. One of those strikers who you always felt could score whenever he was on the pitch. Excellent piece of business from the Boro signing him.

But aye. Despite the obvious talent - Doriva especially - it has to be Yak.

58 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

As some people had gripes about the way Ziege left us. My biggest one was with Yakubu and his attitude in the game I think it was Wigan he clearly had no interest in the game. It's a reluctant vote for him although I really liked the other 3 nominations but they just didnt play at that the level Yakubu could when he showed some commitment.

Armstrong was one I think could have made an impact at the top level but injuries and lack of opportunities cost him. Bamford needed a chance at the top level but hasn't had enough of one 

Doriva goes on the underrated list.

Yep it was Wigan away. One of the worst shows of unprofessionalism i ever seen in a boro shirt.