oneBoro Forum

Johnson urges Boro stability

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5504808,00.html

So now would be a good time to get him tied to a new contract to. See if he really means what he is saying.

We cant really afford to lose him, he is the natural downing replacement, theres not many left wingers about so getting him tied to a new contract should be top of the agenda.

Lets hope the only players that leave are Alves, and if necessary then tuncay, but keep the core of the squad together, especially the defence and then get a goal scorer!

No arguments with that at all, except my aversion to idea of "tying down" young players like Johnson.

It can't be done. No club can do it. Young quality players know it and so does everyone else. Let's face it, if you or I were a young player with a lot of potential would either of us sign a long contract with Boro in August, 2009? Sadly, the answer has to be no.

Would either of us sign a long (2y+) contract with Manchel***pool? Sadly, the answer has to be maybe and the "maybe" creeps in only because the lure of Champions League football beckons.

Personally, I don't blame young players who want to keep their options open. Footballers have short careers, so who can blame them for wanting to cash in on their skills or seek glory in the national team from as early an age possible?

I am sloshed and I have lost the plot and I am going to close.

Agreed, but maybe now is a good time to negotiate, instead of leaving it like we did with turnbull etc, and bates awas a last minute thing aswell.

Its about time the whole culture of the club was changed, as everything we do seems to be last minute!

Totally agree that we can`t keep leaving it late like we have in the past.

Personally I think Jinky has a point to prove to Southgate and that may have a negative effect on his future at the Boro.

I`m hoping I`m wrong but Jinky may have an axe to grind with Southgate for holding him back over Downing and I see this being Johnsons last season with us no matter what happens.

Lets face it if we do get promoted Johnson will of had a massive part to play in it, which will certainly attract some of the bigger clubs.

I think we have to accept that when a club - any club - negotiates with youngsters, the club has to try to reconcile its young player's aspirations with those of the club.

With regard to Boro, I have no idea whatsoever what the club aspire to so how the hell can we expect Johnson and others to commit themselves? Are we really trying to return to the Prem next year?

If we aren't then we need to say so. Otherwise, we have to get everyone on board and make it clear that we are going back up, come hell or high water.

Frankly, I can't see a Boro team full of acadamy players getting us promoted back to the Prem. We are going to need people like Gary O'Neil to get us back up. After last weekend, when GON put his health on the line to drag Huth away from bother, I don't see why he shouldn't get the captain's armband.

We need someone to take over on the pitch and Gary O'Neil could be the making of us if we give him the chance.

I think we have to accept that when a club - any club - negotiates with youngsters, the club has to try to reconcile its young player's aspirations with those of the club.

With regard to Boro, I have no idea whatsoever what the club aspire to so how the hell can we expect Johnson and/or others to commit themselves? Are we really trying to return to the Prem next year? If we aren't then we should say so to Johnson, otherwise we nned to get him playing more of the same stuff he's been playingso he can take us back up.

In the same way Southgate and Gibson said they would do anything to stay in the Premiership.

Totally agree with the question relating to the clubs aspirations, if it is to get back to the Prem, how the hell are we ever gunna stay there? The players must be able to see what we do, even more so I reckon.

Perhaps Johnson is just putting in a shop window performance that will get him a move in January or next summer at the latest.

I don`t think he has anything to lose either......he either gets a much improved deal or he gets a move to a better club.

The club must act and show that we can get promoted and that we can compete, even if it`s just with the likes of Blackburn.

To be fair, wev'e been locked in talks with Johnson for 10 months, so i don't think wev'e left it to the last minute intentionally. Southgate explained that the problem with his new contract is nothing to do with money, Johnson has just said he won't sign anything until he has had a decent run of first team football. Now he is going to get that it remains to be seen if he signs a new contract or chooses to walk away?

To be fair to Johnson he's never complained about money or anything like that. He's been patient and waited for Downing to leave and never caused problems when he wasn't in the team. He's just asked for consistent first team football and refused to sign because he wasn't getting it.

I'm hopeful that he will now go on to showing us his skills and sign a new contract. I don't mind if he wants a sell on clause that says he can go if we don't get promoted.

True at that Starbuy.

What I`ve seen of Johnson this season and it`s only been 1 game and what i`ve read in the papers he`s setting the CC on fire.

At Swansea he ran them ragged IMO and will be in the CCC XI at the end of the season no doubt.

Aid, it's what contract negotiations are all about. It's club versus a "youngster with untold potential" and whichever side places more value on the other side's asset will win the day.

It's capitalism doing its thing.

Completely agree Bugrit.

Johnson has apparentley (according to Southgate) said that it's nothing to do with finances, he just wants first team football... well we are giving him that now so if he was been truthful he should be signing a new contract at some point this season.

I'm optimistic that he will, he's just broke into the first team, why would he want to go to a top club where there may be a chance he drops back to the bench again?

I think he'll sign a new deal even if he does intend to move on next year.

I hope you're right, Aid.

Come 2nd Sept and Jinky is still here I'll be happy but what if he's gone?

Reports of MON watching our last match do not please me at all. If he picks a recruitment target, the only thing I'm certain about is that it will be someone we don't want to lose. After stealing Luke Young twelve months ago who will it be this time? Will it be Tuncay, Wheater, Huth or will he spot the qualities of our ascendant star, Williams?

I would hate to see Jinky go at the end of the season, really hoping we can tie up a new contract... then again, I wouldn't blame him for going. He's had to wait a long time for this chance, how frustrating must it be knowing that you've never done much wrong when you have been called upon, but then had to watch Downing EVERY week, despite what form he's in, and players like O'Neil, Ali and Emnes ineffectively filling in on the right-hand side...

I can see him eventually holding down a regular England place, let's get a few more years out of him then cash in and bring Downing back to replace him on the cheap.