The Greatest Squad - Boro Edition (#23)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Boro's Best #23

• Jan Åga Fjørtoft
    • Colin Cooper
    • Patrick Bamford
    • Darren Randolph

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/21/2020 at 11:00 AM

#22 Winner - Ben Gibson

Polish_20200520_074408535.jpg.45d20b98694cdbedcd9a71c27ad0c9f8.jpg

Polish_20200520_141334226.jpg.5fa0778405210e7d571c4c1a083ab316.jpg

Your #23 Contenders:

Jan Åga Fjørtoft
A favourite of many who grew up watching him at Ayresome Park, Fjørtoft signed from Swindon for £1.3m in March '95 having scored 25 goals that season.  Jan helped us reach the hallowed Premier League and formed a strong dynamic with Juninho in the 95/96 season.

Colin Cooper
Boro legend. Made over 300 Boro appearances over 2 spells, Super Coops was an England international of strong pedigree and ability who always gave 110% every time he wore the shirt. Boro love him. He loves Boro. 

Patrick Bamford
Last chance for Paddy! The spearhead of Karanka's 14/15 promotion chasing side. Versatile, good on the ball and with a knack for finding little pockets of space, Bamford was the most natural goal scorer we'd seen in a Boro shirt for quite some time. His 17 goals that season were vitally important. Just a shame we couldn't get passed Norwich and take him to the Premiership with us back then. Could things have been different?

Darren Randolph
Arguably the best keeper in the second tier during his time at Boro. A great shot stopper who organised his defence well, the Ireland international was thought of very highly by Boro fans. Especially the Irish contingent of OneBoro!

Voting closes at 12pm tomorrow. UTFB!

Polish_20200520_140611124.jpg

Edited by Snowblind

I liked all the players in this list and couldn't argue with any them being picked. Although I went for Cooper he was part of the team in the dark days and I remember him having a purple patch in the latter stages of his career where Sven apparently enquired about who he was and how old he was.

He has always been great off the pitch as well. Hes a great ambassador for the club.

So this was a tough one because all of these players IMO could arguably win this one.

I went for Randz though, although there's a lot of recency bias there, but he's the best keeper we've had since Schwarzer left & we relied heavily on him for the years he was here.

I think that any of these could win and there not be too much disagreement though, there's no clear cut here IMO.

1 hour ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I liked all the players in this list and couldn't argue with any them being picked. Although I went for Cooper he was part of the team in the dark days and I remember him having a purple patch in the latter stages of his career where Sven apparently enquired about who he was and how old he was.

He has always been great off the pitch as well. Hes a great ambassador for the club.

Haha I remember that, wasn't he in his mid to late 30s at that point?

Indeed, this is a tough one. I loved Bamford, especially wearing the #23 was undoubtedly his best spell for us though when Pulis finally saw fit to put him up front, he performed again at his best. Still pisses me off immeasurably that we sold him for what we did after finally being able to make the investment in something we've really never had in a long, long time; a top class young striker with potential to grow into Prem level and a fan-base who adored him. He could have been something special. Then we brought in Britt, then we brought in Pulis and then we got rid because we couldn't keep him whilst not being able to sell others. Everything about the whole saga from when we brought him back in January 2017 kills me.

Randolph is the best keeper besides Valdes that I've seen play for us, I think. But I also feel pretty uneasy about the whole saga going on around him behind the scenes right now. Who knows what the truth is there but if any of it is true, I feel a bit sick being associated with him, though perhaps more sick that we are supposed to have been working to snuff out the story for him. Anyway, I'd prefer to hold off putting him back on the pedestal I held him on for so long.

So it could have emphatically been Bamford, it could have been Randolph, if I was around at the time and older than 5, it seems like it could have been Fjortoft too. But yeah, I'm gonna have to submit to Colin Cooper. I only really knew him in his latter years and whilst he wasn't a Southgate, a Riggott or an Ehiogu, he was dependable and as far as I've heard, a top bloke too. Never showed his age very much and he played quite late on for us!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

... Have I missed something big? What's the Randolph thing? Sounds serious and disconcerting... 

Tried to DM you mate but can't.

Cooper by a mile for me too. Quality player throughout his boro spells and I'll always remember the sight of him coming onto the pitch at 39 years old in the 85th min for his last appearance in that famous game vs fulham to play alongside all the local kids. Stuff of legends. 

Yeah got to be Cooper, he's a legend just for his first spell here and then came back and was a good squad player the second time round.