oneBoro Forum

Are we ready for a relegation battle?

What are we thinking for the first starting line up? Is form out the window or do the likes of Gestede keep their place?

I'd go for a solid double pivot in centre mid with some pace and crossing ability down both wings:

------------------Stojanovic--------------------

-Howson---Ayala--Moukoudi--Johnson--

--------------Clayton----Saville-------------

------Roberts--------Tav--------Coulson-------

---------------------Gestede-----------------------

Got some decent bench and rotation options in McNair, Britt, Fletcher, Wing, Spence, Fry, Shotton for when the games come thick and fast. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So what you are saying is we could stay up or we could go down. 

Sacking Karanka was the worst decision, only seconded by not backing him in the transfer market when in the Prem. Even if we had gone down, he should have remained and we would be back up. G

We've got a global pandemic, a looming recession, a clown as the leader of our country, a racist madman in charge of the most powerful country in the world but still the worst thing for me is having W

I think form is out the window, yes. It's who trains best in this mini pre-season. I just hope Woody makes best use of this time to essentially come and have another go at it, understand what has gone so wrong so far and use his fully fit squad to really turn this on its head. It's difficult perhaps to consider making any significant change mid-season usually and this is his chance to do that, use what he's learnt so far to make what he wants work better than it has. Who's confident of that? I doubt anyone is, but one can simply hope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

i actually think we will go down this season. Hate to say it, but i have zero optimism 

I think we could go down too; and if we don't it's more likely to be because one of Hull/Charlton continued shitting the bed, rather than we suddenly put it all together.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Brunners said:

I think we could go down too; and if we don't it's more likely to be because one of Hull/Charlton continued shitting the bed, rather than we suddenly put it all together.

I'd definitely agree with that. I still expect Hull to be struggling because they lost such a quality individual in January who they can't replace. And Charlton are in a tough situation with some of their players not playing. So yeah, whilst I hope as ever we can make some sort of positive changes in the final games this season, I do think it may well come down moreso to how poor the other teams are whether we go down or not.

• Like 1

In mid-July, it will be interesting to compare each team's form from the nine games before lockdown with the nine games after it. I really hope Woodgate and co have used this time wisely to work on all the obvious mistakes we were making, leading to tangible improvements in our performances and results.

If nothing's been learned and we're as crap as we were earlier in the season, we're probably just delaying relegation, even if we avoid it this season.

My choice would probably be

------------------Stojanovic--------------------

-Howson---Fry--Moukoudi--Friend--

--------------Wing----McNair-------------

------Roberts--------Tav--------Coulson-------

---------------------Britt-----------------------

If we get at bit of pace around Britt I think he will score more than Gestede. I appreciate that Gestede had a decent period before Corona, but Britt is a better striker and should get more chances in the box with Roberts in there along Tav and Coulson. Plus if we want make some money off Britt he'll need to score a few goals. CM might be a bit too optimistic so there could be a case of starting a more defensive player in there but we really need to score some goals. Friend at LB because despite his shortcomings he is still a better defender than Johnson. Howson at RB for his experience over Spence. No Ayala in defence as it looks like he will be gone after the first two games. Our squad really should be able to beat off Charlton, Hull and Wigan.

I'm amazed people still want Friend in the starting 11 despite all the evidence this season that he's shot. I love George, I really do, but he's been a liability when he's played this year. I'd play Johnson back there and keep Coulson at LW personally.

2 hours ago, Brunners said:

I'm amazed people still want Friend in the starting 11 despite all the evidence this season that he's shot. I love George, I really do, but he's been a liability when he's played this year. I'd play Johnson back there and keep Coulson at LW personally.

In a back five I would certainly keep Johnson but in a back four I think it’s probably a bigger gamble to play Johnson. It’s not that I really want friend to start but all in all he is probably still a better defender than Johnson who has never really impressed me with anything. 

I would definitely consider putting Friend in if he's fit. That first game back is going to be a mental challenge as much as a physical one. I think the main thing though is that we don't have a great left-back unless we're planning on using Coulson there again. He has his weaknesses too but I'd certainly rather play him there if we had anyone better for the forward positions.

The games are coming thick and fast once we get going again. There’s bound to be injuries and there will have to be plenty of changes to allow a bit of recharging of batteries. On that basis, it’s not just who we pick for first game - a good experienced manager would be planning likely teams for the first four or five matches taking into account the opposition strengths and weaknesses. Of course that does depend on having a good experienced manager!!! It does mean we might see what looks like one or two odd choices though. 
I would go for experience though, as a good start will be critical.  For that reason, and the likelihood of having to make changes, I would still play Ayala for the first two matches. His experience will mean a lot, and if he does get injured, it won’t handicap us for the other matches anyway.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

In a back five I would certainly keep Johnson but in a back four I think it’s probably a bigger gamble to play Johnson. It’s not that I really want friend to start but all in all he is probably still a better defender than Johnson who has never really impressed me with anything. 

I just don't think Friend has the legs anymore & that concerns me with Coulsons defensive frailties as well. At least Johnson has the legs to potentially make something happen, Friend looked like he was running through tar.

• Like 1

Well I'll probably, weather permitting, go out on my bike on Saturday, could even end up near the Riverside, be a be a nerve wrecking 90 minutes, if we win & results go our way then we could be more, or less safe, but knowing the mighty Boro.............