oneBoro Forum

Woodgate Gone. Warnock In

If there was one man you'd want to keep us in this league given the current circumstances it has to be Warnock doesn't it? Yes he's old school, but his record at this level speaks for itself. 

Long term? I'm not too sure but I actually feel a lot more confident going into the next two fixtures.  I actually believe we can beat the drop now. 

Come on Boro 

• Like 6
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when both tony pulis and neil warnock have manged your club within 1 year of each other, you know your clubs going through some serious ***.

Getting relegated to League 1 would've been pretty embarrassing too

Posted Images

QPR fan in peace here. Just to say Colin will keep you up and you will have a lot of fun with him. Yes he will spout it - but it will be your stuff he spouts. Good you deserve a bit of luck,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

That’s what worries me, yes we’ve finally made the change now but god knows who we will end up with for next season if woodgate was the best option last summer. We could just as easily be back to square 1 with another terrible decision.

I completely agree. 

Gibson needs help himself before making critical decision if you ask me.... He hasn't learned from his past mistakes over the past 20years. 

Going off the interview it doesn't sound like he's expecting more than the 8 games. He lives down by Pulis doesn't he? Can't see him wanting to be up here permanently away from his Mrs at 71 years old.

I thought he was a bit coy on Woodgate, surely he knows what's going on? I suspect Gibson knows he rushed that appointment by 2-3 years and maybe wants Woody to go back down the ladder to academy before working back up.

5 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

I completely agree. 

Gibson needs help himself before making critical decision if you ask me.... He hasn't learned from his past mistakes over the past 20years. 

People were saying our financials should allow us to be more flexible next Summer, maybe that will be enough to get a Chris Hughton type?

I keep hearing the phrase “long term’ so it got me thinking what long term actually means in regards championship managers

Lee Johnson is the longest serving manager at 4 years 

after him it’s Tony Mowbray at 3 years closely followed by Paul Cook of Wigan. 

I don’t know what the average is I’m sure someone on here will but if Warnock does keep us up it’s only fair to assume he’ll get the job full time so would that put him in the long term bracket. 

just thinking out loud more than anything else

• Like 2

This is a bloke who said he was retiring in 2007 I wouldn't read too much into him saying he's just here for 8 games as him ruling out him becoming more permanent, if it goes well he gets a couple of players firing I don't see how he walks away from it or how we could walk away from him I doubt he's trekking north every week to us for 2 months simply as a favour to his mate Steve he's a ruthlessly ambitious bloke he wants the job and if he keeps us up I don't see how it isn't his at least for next season.

9 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I keep hearing the phrase “long term’ so it got me thinking what long term actually means in regards championship managers

I don’t know what the average is I’m sure someone on here will but if Warnock does keep us up it’s only fair to assume he’ll get the job full time so would that put him in the long term bracket. 

I think Lee Johnson may be sacked soon too, must be the 4th season in a row that he's had Bristol City in the play-offs and then completely fell away before the end of the season.

8 minutes ago, Uwe said:

When I say the phrase "Long term" for me it isn't just about the manager. More of a collective push/vision for a consistent strategy/identity over multiple years. 

For example a playing style that we want to have regardless of who comes in. Finding managers that suit that style of play, rather than jumping from one extreme to the other, with a huge player turnover and large financial cost for every new manager. 

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I'd say long term in the context of us is essentially beyond this season. Well, that would be the plan anyway. Not necessarily going to last in the long term as most managers don't. But if it's true that we are ready to invest a bit more again, we should focus on the higher level improvements we can make and not necessarily the squad.

If I was Gibson, I'd be scoping out a new manager right now. It's not undermining Warnock to look when he himself doesn't seem to view his time as extending beyond this season. If he does an exceptional job in 8 games, fine, he should be in with a shout but Gibson should be looking for a permanent manager now and not someone who's just another fall guy for another season of change in the squad. Especially as there's no guarantee the squad we have in 12 months time will be right for a manager we choose then.