oneBoro Forum

Woodgate Gone. Warnock In

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's all good and well giving a bollocking too but they still didn't get anything out of the game. I hope he doesn't come into half-time with us losing 2-0 and tell our team not to bother trying to win the game.

Only losing 2-0 at half time would be progress to be fair 🙃

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when both tony pulis and neil warnock have manged your club within 1 year of each other, you know your clubs going through some serious ***.

Getting relegated to League 1 would've been pretty embarrassing too

Posted Images

Bad timing but great appointment (should have been earlier), I think within a few weeks we will see improvement in these players (particularly in effort, organisation and communication) whether it be quick enough nobody knows. I think we have got no choice but to stick with this next season if we survive and performances improve. It will be a clear indicator the ones that have been in the squad awhile in particular cannot play any other way than organised defence first then attacking after. 

I dont think Gibson will give him the money but I reckon this reign could end up been like Mowbrays, no money but he does brilliantly with what he has and makes the best of it.

6 hours ago, Will said:
6 hours ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

As I said when we were linked with Warnock earlier this season: promising a new direction for the club which involved attacking football, only to hire Warnock before our first season under this new direction had finished, is pretty embarrassing 

Getting relegated to League 1 would've been pretty embarrassing too

Well, now we can do both 🤭 

• Sad 1

I feel for Woodgate and more angry then ever with SG. As a business man how the hell could SG make the same mistake after mistake. Granted we needed to adjust but let’s face it SG with a little investment he could have kept us in the Premiership. Then he makes bold statements while in the Championship, fails and backs this up by appointing the tea boy. 
To be fair, but it’s not guaranteed, SG may just have saved us from the drop, but, on announcing the appointment i did not here how long was the contract for?  

3 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I feel for Woodgate and more angry then ever with SG. As a business man how the hell could SG make the same mistake after mistake. Granted we needed to adjust but let’s face it SG with a little investment he could have kept us in the Premiership. Then he makes bold statements while in the Championship, fails and backs this up by appointing the tea boy. 
To be fair, but it’s not guaranteed, SG may just have saved us from the drop, but, on announcing the appointment i did not here how long was the contract for?  

Warnock said it was just for the 8 games left

Well it looks like he had a jolly good time with the lads in training today, so hopefully he's got them all on board and can get a few good performances out of them!

• Like 2

Overriding emotion is one of relief. Yes it should have happened 6 months ago but at least he has gone. I am still not sure we will survive, given the contract situation of so many players but at least we will be organised for the next 8 games.  Another positive for me is there should now be no talk of extending those contracts as none of them have really earned it.
For me at least the future seems brighter.

• Like 1

Evening All,

I been busy day so can anyone provide an update of any snippets provided by those who are ITK on the board please?

I got caught up with all the stuff in the media. Obviously happy Woodgate gone and happy with Warnock. Only concern is the lack of long term plan but lets achieve survival first and then worry about that. Need to target 4 points from next 2 games as a minimum in my opinion.

Thank you

Anyone else think we will see pretty much the exact same team as pulis? Warnock is here to keep us up which means solid, clean sheets etc. I’d bet he’s been on the phone to pulis getting his opinion on the players and their best positions etc.

• Haha 1

I do feel a bit sorry for JW as being sacked must be a humiliation but some people in football seems to be able to take what would for an ordinary person be humiliation after humiliation and keep on ticking, and he's doubtless earned a bit during his time as Boro manager.

I still blame SG, but what do I know.

It'll also be interesting to see how the players react. If they weren't playing for JW and suddenly improve they'll drop a bit in my estimation as these are pros and should surely be professional and put a shift in even if they dislike the boss.

I've just seen this on reddit and thought I'd repost it here. "Highlights" of Woodys post match interviews 😬:

(WARNING: Long)

With Neil Warnock's arrival ending Jonathan Woodgate's tenure here at Boro I think it's only right to bring to your attention some incredible moments from some infamous press conferences / interviews he's conducted in his sole season in charge. 

In September Boro lost 4-1 at home to Sheffield Wednesday, all the goals came inside 34 minutes. The team were vociferously booed off at half time, in his post match interview Woodgate simply said:

"It’s not really the situation you want at half-time, going in there 4-1 down".

The media missteps continued as a week later boro went down 2-1 at Birmingham, afterwards he partakes in a toe-curling interview with Sky's Caroline Barker, the start of a truly bizarre feud between the two of them, in which Barker probes a dejected Woodgate live on sky sports with:

"Today couldve been 5 or 6, you have West Brom and Fulham coming up, if you play this way again theyre going to murder you arent they?" https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11827720/woodgate-we-move-on

Following that interview, Boro would go on to score a total of 0 goals in the next 4 games. At the end of October he conducted his most infamous interview that didn't go nearly as viral as it deserved. I'll quote him verbatim and provide you the link to the audio for this because it's quite something:

"Nah it's lying though, people say that the league table tells the truth. It's not. Its lying" https://twitter.com/primevideosport/status/1189615740934152193

A month later boro were dismantled 4-0 by 'rivals' Leeds in which Woodgate, following this game conducted an interview with the Leeds media in which he beamed about the "unbelievable" reception he got by the home fans, admitted that he wanted to wave back to show support but it wasn't appropriate given the score, that they were a "top club" and that "they're some train to get on it'll only go one way". It's perhaps worth noting we're not even into December yet, he's only been in charge for 4 months at this point. https://twitter.com/lufc/status/1201490875618119683

A mini resurgence in form over christmas came to an end at Fulham, another match live on sky which meant, another toe-curling Barker vs Woodgate interview. Again I have to provide a link to the interview so you can understand just how awkward it is. https://twitter.com/boropolis/status/1218305000243388416 

Barker leads with "One shot on target was there a call for Fletcher to be brought on?" 

Woodgate responds with a prickly jab of his own "I wouldn't say so, you should be a manager you" 

Barker is quick to respond "that's why I'm not" 

Woodgate is faster still with his dismissive retaliation "yeah yeah you're probably right" You can see a glint in his eye, he's thinking hes 1-0 up on her

Barker attempts to rephrase the initial question "Was there no thinking in your mind that he should have come on earlier?" 

The verbal tennis kicks up a gear as the two commence in a rally spanning about half a second

"not really no"

"why not"

"I didn't want him to"

Barker stammers, as she tries to form another response, Woodgate butts in, sensing shes on the ropes he comes out swinging

"look I pick the team and you dont" Game, set and match you can see he's thinking to himself. Unfortunately, verbal sparring with a female journalist on live tv isn't quite the impressive achievement he appeared to think it was in the heat of the moment. 

3 successive 1-0 defeats to Leeds, Barnsley and Luton followed, the latter a home game in which Luton ended a run of losing 12 successive away games. Woodgate admitted after the game that:

"I don't blame the fans for booing because I'd have done exactly the same"

He also, gave an insight into his motivational half time team talks:

"I said to them at half-time that the positive is, you can't play any worse than that. Actually they did" https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonathan-woodgate-booing-stands-middlesbroughs-17755926

This leads up until this very weekend, the championship restart. Leading up to the home game against Swansea, Woodgate spoke about how sharp the players had been in training and about the importance of a positive start to the game. After 34 minutes Swansea had hit the post, missed a header from 2 inches out and were already 3 goals to the good. It would finish 3-0 seemingly because of an unspoken mercy rule in which Swansea treated the remaining 56 minutes like a park kickabout. After the game on a webcam interview, answering a question about how he found the alien matchday experience, he responded with a now trademark response of

"So the experience wasn't good at all for me, hopefully in the next game is...erm....listen... if we have our fans there it's going to be a lot better"  

https://twitter.com/pmforster/status/1274354749110923264

Despite all this chicanery, it's a real shame that it didn't work out here for him. And it's a shame that with the ghost of Tony Pulis still lingering over the current squad of players, that we've yet again had to flip the clubs vision and reach out for the oldest hand available in Warnock. We can all take some solace in the promise that if anyone can outdo Woodgates interview tomfoolery, its probably the Warnock.   

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, Woof Woof said:

It'll also be interesting to see how the players react. If they weren't playing for JW and suddenly improve they'll drop a bit in my estimation as these are pros and should surely be professional and put a shift in even if they dislike the boss.

If the players suddenly improve, it could simply be that they are being coached more effectively rather than that they weren't bothering before. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, White Band said:

If the players suddenly improve, it could simply be that they are being coached more effectively rather than that they weren't bothering before. 

Its really doubtful that they're going to get any worse, surely?

1 hour ago, Smogzilla said:

I've just seen this on reddit and thought I'd repost it here. "Highlights" of Woodys post match interviews 😬:

(WARNING: Long)

With Neil Warnock's arrival ending Jonathan Woodgate's tenure here at Boro I think it's only right to bring to your attention some incredible moments from some infamous press conferences / interviews he's conducted in his sole season in charge. 

In September Boro lost 4-1 at home to Sheffield Wednesday, all the goals came inside 34 minutes. The team were vociferously booed off at half time, in his post match interview Woodgate simply said:

"It’s not really the situation you want at half-time, going in there 4-1 down".

The media missteps continued as a week later boro went down 2-1 at Birmingham, afterwards he partakes in a toe-curling interview with Sky's Caroline Barker, the start of a truly bizarre feud between the two of them, in which Barker probes a dejected Woodgate live on sky sports with:

"Today couldve been 5 or 6, you have West Brom and Fulham coming up, if you play this way again theyre going to murder you arent they?" https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11827720/woodgate-we-move-on

Following that interview, Boro would go on to score a total of 0 goals in the next 4 games. At the end of October he conducted his most infamous interview that didn't go nearly as viral as it deserved. I'll quote him verbatim and provide you the link to the audio for this because it's quite something:

"Nah it's lying though, people say that the league table tells the truth. It's not. Its lying" https://twitter.com/primevideosport/status/1189615740934152193

A month later boro were dismantled 4-0 by 'rivals' Leeds in which Woodgate, following this game conducted an interview with the Leeds media in which he beamed about the "unbelievable" reception he got by the home fans, admitted that he wanted to wave back to show support but it wasn't appropriate given the score, that they were a "top club" and that "they're some train to get on it'll only go one way". It's perhaps worth noting we're not even into December yet, he's only been in charge for 4 months at this point. https://twitter.com/lufc/status/1201490875618119683

A mini resurgence in form over christmas came to an end at Fulham, another match live on sky which meant, another toe-curling Barker vs Woodgate interview. Again I have to provide a link to the interview so you can understand just how awkward it is. https://twitter.com/boropolis/status/1218305000243388416 

Barker leads with "One shot on target was there a call for Fletcher to be brought on?" 

Woodgate responds with a prickly jab of his own "I wouldn't say so, you should be a manager you" 

Barker is quick to respond "that's why I'm not" 

Woodgate is faster still with his dismissive retaliation "yeah yeah you're probably right" You can see a glint in his eye, he's thinking hes 1-0 up on her

Barker attempts to rephrase the initial question "Was there no thinking in your mind that he should have come on earlier?" 

The verbal tennis kicks up a gear as the two commence in a rally spanning about half a second

"not really no"

"why not"

"I didn't want him to"

Barker stammers, as she tries to form another response, Woodgate butts in, sensing shes on the ropes he comes out swinging

"look I pick the team and you dont" Game, set and match you can see he's thinking to himself. Unfortunately, verbal sparring with a female journalist on live tv isn't quite the impressive achievement he appeared to think it was in the heat of the moment. 

3 successive 1-0 defeats to Leeds, Barnsley and Luton followed, the latter a home game in which Luton ended a run of losing 12 successive away games. Woodgate admitted after the game that:

"I don't blame the fans for booing because I'd have done exactly the same"

He also, gave an insight into his motivational half time team talks:

"I said to them at half-time that the positive is, you can't play any worse than that. Actually they did" https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonathan-woodgate-booing-stands-middlesbroughs-17755926

This leads up until this very weekend, the championship restart. Leading up to the home game against Swansea, Woodgate spoke about how sharp the players had been in training and about the importance of a positive start to the game. After 34 minutes Swansea had hit the post, missed a header from 2 inches out and were already 3 goals to the good. It would finish 3-0 seemingly because of an unspoken mercy rule in which Swansea treated the remaining 56 minutes like a park kickabout. After the game on a webcam interview, answering a question about how he found the alien matchday experience, he responded with a now trademark response of

"So the experience wasn't good at all for me, hopefully in the next game is...erm....listen... if we have our fans there it's going to be a lot better"  

https://twitter.com/pmforster/status/1274354749110923264

Despite all this chicanery, it's a real shame that it didn't work out here for him. And it's a shame that with the ghost of Tony Pulis still lingering over the current squad of players, that we've yet again had to flip the clubs vision and reach out for the oldest hand available in Warnock. We can all take some solace in the promise that if anyone can outdo Woodgates interview tomfoolery, its probably the Warnock.   

That's great. Can you post a link to the reddit post?