Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Woodgate Gone. Warnock In


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Dont agree with this notion that if players start performing now it must mean they unprofessional etc. It could just mean they are being coachsd more effectively.

And this idea they should get basics right. What basics are we talking about? Being able to pass 5 yards, defend long balls etc? Well you can only do basics if you earn the right do that through shape, organisation and having the ball etc. Them things come from being sent out with a clear plan.

If you are sent out with no plan or a sh*t plan then your shape will be all over the place thus you are going to spend the 90mins chasing shadows like we did v Swansea. Therefore the opportunity to even do the basics are not there.

You can have the best players in world but if there a sh*t manager there it wont work. Look at that Loptegui or whatever he called who was at Real last season. Team full of world talent and he had them 5th or 6th.

Moral of this essay? A poor coach can make decent players look aaful. A good coach can make decent players look very good.

Conclusion: Appoint a good manager and the rest usually takes care of itself.

My reasoning being thus:

 

They've been playing since they were kids and will have worked under several managers and various coaches over their careers.

i.e. they should at least have decent technique at this level, as well as other basic stuff like being aware of where team mates, or opponents are.

Managers should really only have to tell them the game plan, what their opponents are likely to do and how they should counter the threats they pose.

If it becomes blindingly obvious that what the manager has told them isn't working, I would also expect decent level professional players to be capable of adapting their play...to an extent.

I think a few people have commented on here that thats how we reached the UEFA Cup Final.

Obviously you can simply get beaten by better players...but our lot just look completely lost most of the time. One or two players looking to be positive but getting no help from the rest of the team...and our "defending" reminds me of that old computer game Lemmings.

 

I mean I know footballers aren't the sharpest tools in the box, but when its what you've been doing for a living for a good few years...

I dunno...maybe I do expect too much...

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when both tony pulis and neil warnock have manged your club within 1 year of each other, you know your clubs going through some serious ***.

Getting relegated to League 1 would've been pretty embarrassing too

Posted Images

Didn't Warnock say four of the six players whose contract ended next week (excluding Ayala) had signed to finish season and he was waiting on boards discussions with other two?  Presume from this that Johnson is one of the two not signed yet. Hoping other one might be Gestede - leaving Howson, Friend, Nmecha and Roberts who have signed

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScarBoro said:

Didn't Warnock say four of the six players whose contract ended next week (excluding Ayala) had signed to finish season and he was waiting on boards discussions with other two?  Presume from this that Johnson is one of the two not signed yet. Hoping other one might be Gestede - leaving Howson, Friend, Nmecha and Roberts who have signed

I don’t think the loan players count. Shotton and Clayton would be the other two I think @ScarBoro

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Duvel said:

No great loss 

Depends when he leaves. If he goes before season end, that pretty much forces us into either wing-backs or Friend at left-back til season end... or playing someone like Tav out there again which I don't think helps us at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I don’t think the loan players count. Shotton and Clayton would be the other two I think @ScarBoro

Yes - Id forgotten those two had contracts ending as well. Does anyone actually know who hasn't signed the extension, if what Warnock was saying was correct? And wheter its because they are planning on going somewhere straight away ( like johnson maybe), or they just dont want to risk injury?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8453447/Neil-Warnock-relishing-rescue-mission-Championship-strugglers-Middlesbrough.html

This line caught my eye in there "Sources close to the dressing-room say Woodgate was popular but should have had more experience in his backroom team." Is that our dressing rooms way of saying he was clueless on the training pitch and Keane/Leo/Frankie the fitness coach had no respect for the past 11 months? I mean listen I'm not disagreeing with them at all we were clearly a very poorly coached team but maybe they should have took those concerns to Gibson before we were 21st with 8 games left I mean that's how they binned Aitor right Stewie and Ben complained that the boys were tired of Aitors stale methods at training next week he was gone.

Pretty wild that this dressing room had these thoughts about the level of coaching they were getting as we slid towards relegation and just kept it shtum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8453447/Neil-Warnock-relishing-rescue-mission-Championship-strugglers-Middlesbrough.html

This line caught my eye in there "Sources close to the dressing-room say Woodgate was popular but should have had more experience in his backroom team." Is that our dressing rooms way of saying he was clueless on the training pitch and Keane/Leo/Frankie the fitness coach had no respect for the past 11 months? I mean listen I'm not disagreeing with them at all we were clearly a very poorly coached team but maybe they should have took those concerns to Gibson before we were 21st with 8 games left I mean that's how they binned Aitor right Stewie and Ben complained that the boys were tired of Aitors stale methods at training next week he was gone.

Pretty wild that this dressing room had these thoughts about the level of coaching they were getting as we slid towards relegation and just kept it shtum.

Or maybe they knew, as we all did, that it meant absolutely nowt to complain about it because hiring Woodgate was a sign of where we were at in terms of hiring anyone with any significant experience at all ends of the club. Not exactly the best attitude to hold but it's not like we'd notice even if they had complained about it, nothing would have changed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Pulis delivered results wether you like it or not and I am sure Warnock will do the same.

Pulis didn't deliver anything. He surrendered against Villa as he was sat in the dugout with his head in the sand for 2x90 minutes thinking a 0-1 agreggate loss is much better than trying to win and maybe lose 0-2. It was horrific management. Next season he dulled us into a 7th place finish which was equally poor.

23 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Pulis worked wonders behind the scenes to level the books and keep us competitive in getting results.

I'd love to know what he actually did because all I see is he signed three average players for 20 million while we sold our three most sellable assets, one of them with a release clause we could do nothing about and Gibson was always going to go. Although I think 10 million for Bamford was decent business but I doubt that he negotiated that deal. On top of that he signed some expensive mercenaries like Mikel who did nothing. He spent 20 million that summer and made us worse. What wonders did he actually do, because I see a club deeply in the mire, partly because he spent 20 million and didn't adress a single problem the squad had. And on top of that he was reportedly by far our highest paid manager ever. If I'm not mistaken he took millions out of the club and delivered absolutely nothing.

Not a dig at you, but I'd really know what he did.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Pulis didn't deliver anything. He surrendered against Villa as he was sat in the dugout with his head in the sand for 2x90 minutes thinking a 0-1 agreggate loss is much better than trying to win and maybe lose 0-2. It was horrific management. Next season he dulled us into a 7th place finish which was equally poor.

I'd love to know what he actually did because all I see is he signed three average players for 20 million while we sold our three most sellable assets, one of them with a release clause we could do nothing about and Gibson was always going to go. Although I think 10 million for Bamford was decent business but I doubt that he negotiated that deal. On top of that he signed some expensive mercenaries like Mikel who did nothing. He spent 20 million that summer and made us worse. What wonders did he actually do, because I see a club deeply in the mire, partly because he spent 20 million and didn't adress a single problem the squad had. And on top of that he was reportedly by far our highest paid manager ever. If I'm not mistaken he took millions out of the club and delivered absolutely nothing.

Not a dig at you, but I'd really know what he did.

Same, the best I can think of is keeping us competitive after selling our 3 best players. However on the other side of that we replaced them with expensive dross so we probably could have done better had we bought better. 
Maybe he dealt with some dodgy football business men or sorted out some issues related to things we don’t even know exist, he’d certainly be capable with his vast connections in the game and character. He kind of reminds me of that local retired doorman with a feared reputation type of person lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Or maybe they knew, as we all did, that it meant absolutely nowt to complain about it because hiring Woodgate was a sign of where we were at in terms of hiring anyone with any significant experience at all ends of the club. Not exactly the best attitude to hold but it's not like we'd notice even if they had complained about it, nothing would have changed.

My thoughts exactly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • The administrators must be worried about HMRC. They supposedly owe them £26m.
    • I presume the continued legal action is to ensure that 9-12 point deduction that they are due for breaching P&S is actually carried out. It's all gone quiet since they went in to administration.
    • Well they're currently on -2 points. Another 9 point deduction would make that -11, which is currently 18 points from safety. That would be a serious amount of ground to make up and would require 3 teams above them to have pretty horrendous seasons, in order to overhaul them. I'd rather see Mel Morris get taken for every penny he's got, or otherwise punished to the full extent of the law. Instead he's wringing his hands and saying he's "sorry" while the club that was under his stewardship could end up going to the wall, if the administrators can't find a suitable buyer.  
    • Does Gibson seriously holding a grudge for them outbidding us on Waghorn 😂
    • They haven't actually been punished for cheating yet, which is the whole point of principle for Gibson. They've had a self-inflicted 12 point deduction for administration. They're currently only 9 points from safety, that is far from insurmountable with most of the season left, and the pressure needs to be kept up to ensure they get the punishment they're due.

×
×
  • Create New...